“Spring Break Michigan”

Sherwood Forest Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 Douglas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a lovely stay at the Sherwood Forest B&B. The owners were more than accommodating. Only a one minute walk to lake Michigan and a little farther to the entire Oval beach area, I highly recommend this early 20th century home to anyone thinking of visiting the Saugatuck area. FYI, the B&Bs in Saugatuck (Eagleton) are way overpriced for what is actually a much friendlier accommodating village in Douglas (Pawnee), which is where the Sherwood is located. As we walked to Saugatuck for shopping and dinner (a 40 minute walk), we found it a refreshing break from our normal walking routine. Yes our Spring Break was a little chilly, but we found the area extremely pleasant, as it was not inhabited by the typical resort town aficionados.

Room Tip: Look into the trees.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I did not stay at this bed and breakfast, so I cannot honestly rate the actual rooms, food, etc., but I can speak about the owner. Before you book, ask for the refund policy. No refund policy is listed on their website. I paid dearly for my mistake of booking 3 nights and calling to cancel after the first night. To quote the owner " I have your money and I am going to keep it." He refused to make any accommodation. I was issued no refund, even after going to my bank and protesting.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sannieoakley
irobot, Owner at Sherwood Forest Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Fan's of Trip Advisor:

My humble apologies for the one circle rating we received. This person could be no further from the truth. We did charge them for their entire stay for the following reason. They never called and canceled. They booked through bedandbreakfast.com which went into our reservation software. we then sent them a confirmation and directions 56 days ahead of their stay. When they never showed, I emailed them and called them repeatedly. So we thought they were just running late and placed a note on the door. When they didn't come down for breakfast. We decided to charge them. Within 5 minutes, we received a call. We were asked why we charged them when they never made the reservation. (they called from around the corner-the innkeeper called me after we hung up). I was like huh, by some hocus pocus, I miraculously obtained your name, your e-mail address, your home address, your phone number and credit card number with expiration date. We had a paper trail from here to the moon and back. Turned out they told him, the e-mail went into their spam folder or something like that.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I stand by my rather very positive and very thorough (also very long!) review from April 2011. Whenever I visit the Saugatuck/Douglas area I shall stay here. The house is a perfectly maintained and beautifully decorated (see earlier review) old home steps from a small public Lake Michigan beach (though one can walk for at least an hour or so in either direction along the water's edge), the very pleasant hosts are helpful and attentive without pushing themselves on guests, and the breakfasts are home-cooked and delicious. Located in a quiet neighborhood - but only a minute from the very laid back and small "downtown" Douglas or about five minutes to the larger and livelier Saugatuck. it is a wonderful place to relax, enjoy the Lake's beauties - and, if you like, eat at any of the number of varying types of restaurants to be found in Douglas and Saugatuck (my favorite is Everyday People's Cafe in Douglas) or visit art galleries or shops specializing in gifts, clothing, kitchenware or antiques (the large "antique mall" at the edge of town is large and well-run.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Such a lovely setting, just a little drive from Douglas/Saugatuck and within walking distance of Lake Michigan. Absolutely beautiful wrap-around porch - made me want to sit outside with a good book all day! Breakfast was tasty. The hosts were extremely friendly yet not at all overbearing. When we arrived, Keith greeted us, and while we sipped our complementary drinks, gave us his personal recommendations for restaurants, etc. We only stayed one night but I wish it could have been much longer. Oh, and the bed felt like heaven.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MI_Traveler2
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This was the best bed and breakfast we have ever been to. The accommodations were beautiful and full of detail. The breakfast was amazing and the owners were very helpful and nice. They gave us ideas about where to visit and eat during our stay and all of their advice was great. And the scenery and grounds are beautiful!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our way home from Michigan. Our room was lovely, and clean, with charming appointments. The bed was so comfortable! Sue and Keith are terrific innkeepers, and we felt welcomed and well treated. Breakfast was delicious. Because we were in a hurry to get home, we did not stay and use all the facilities, but we will be back. Biking on the lake shore sounds wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My husband surprised me for our 13th anniversary with a quick getaway weekend out of town and we stayed here in the log cabin suite. We were very pleased with the room and the hosts,Keith and Sue. Our room was large and the bathroom with jacuzzi tub was awesome. We met Keith and sue in the morning when she made cinnamon French toast and they were very friendly and made us feel very comfortable. They assisted my husband in making the weekend even more special when they purchased roses and champagne and had them waiting in the room upon checkin. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
Hop & Vine Inn
Kingsley House Bed and Breakfast Inn
Twin Oaks Inn
Twin Oaks Inn
#1 of 19 in Saugatuck

Been to Sherwood Forest Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!