Sherwood Forest Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 Douglas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My wife and I checked in for four nights during our honeymoon. The location is great (between the charming downtown areas in Saugatuck, Douglas, and Fennville; 5 minute walk from public beach access).
We were amazed by the historic architecture and beauty evident across the home. Our room (Rose) was comfortable, with ample windows and space despite being one of the least expensive options.
We mainly interacted with Jim, who welcomed us with complimentary glasses of wine before giving us a brief orientation to the area including recommendations that proved to be in quite good taste.
The breakfast each morning was impressive (and my wife and I consider ourselves foodies, to some extent). Jim and co. have a knack for presentation of the main plate, and there was ample yogurt, fruit, coffee, coffee cake, etc. As a big meat-eater, I would have loved some additional protein on the menu, but I couldn't deny the quality of what was offered.

I read the unfortunate experience detailed by novaboyRoselle. We had two mix-ups - a massage reservation that didn't go through, and a Visa card number that was mis-transcribed. I thought Jim handled both of these occasions well, and I have lost my stack over poor customer service in other settings. The parking is fully off-street and was ample for the duration of my stay.

My wife and I agreed that we would have no hesitation staying there again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Keith_of_Sherwood, Owner at Sherwood Forest Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Hi Jacob and Michaela,

Thanks so much for taking the time out to write a review. We so appreciate hearing from our guests as that it the only way we can ensure that we hone our skills to give you the best experience possible!

Congrats once again and thank-you for choosing Sherwood Forest for your honeymoon! We hope you forged some wonderful memories to last a lifetime. When you come back we will work on an extra side of bacon for breakfast .. :-)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The new owners are very nice. The pool is relaxing and off the back so it is quiet. Breakfast was very good. I am an early riser, so it would be nice if they had coffee out by 7am, but they normally did not have it out until closer to 8:30am. Take a walk along Lakeshore Drive - the views of the lake are fantastic.

Room Tip: Log room is larger and has a fireplace.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks so much for taking the time out to write a review. We love to get feedback from our guests!

Thanks for staying with us and we hope to have you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The place is ok, the food is ok, the location is ok. The owners are in my opinion selfish and set in their ways. They don't accommodate any special requests that you may have. It's their way, and that's just how it is. You can't deviate from their daily norm. You can request it, but you won't get it. I asked for decaf coffee - never got it. Not how a typical B&B is operated. you have no control of temperature in your room. The owners control the heating and A/C. Some other B&B's do this as well. I don't like it. I've stayed at many. We had an encounter with them in the parking lot where was very very awkward. We basically got into a verbal argument that was about to escalate had I not been with 3 other people in my car and controlled myself. My car bumper "touched" a piece of wooden split rail fencing they had in their parking lot (a glorified driveway that they call a parking lot) the owners (him and her) took photos of my car bumper touching the fence and told me to be more careful and that I damaged their fence, which I clearly did not. They literally accused me of property damage. The wooden piece of split rail fence was in perfect condition. Ne repairs needed. I looked at it and it was fine. We got into an argument right then and there and I got very angry with them, and then told them the sink in our bathroom was totally clogged and wasn't draining (which was the truth - and pissed me off because they knew about it and did nothing). How dare they approach me and tell me to be more careful when all I did is touch their fence (no damage caused) and then they take photos of it as if they are going to charge me for it or send it to their attorney. Is that how you treat a customer paying around $250/night? The next day they tried to make amends with me and my wife in the morning but I still had a sore taste in my mouth and wasn't going to be fooled again. The pretend to be very nice but if you do anything that is not to their liking they will reveal their true character. I won't be staying their again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Keith_of_Sherwood, Owner at Sherwood Forest Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear novaboyRoselle,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate input from our guests whether it be positive or negative. It is clear that you were dissatisfied and for that we sincerely apologize.

We would, however, just like to clarify a few points made in your review. As new owners of Sherwood Forest, we make a point on guest checkin to ask what your morning drink preference is. At no time in two days did you mention that you preferred decaf coffee, which we would have happily made for you. With regard to the fence issue, we made a simple, polite request to ask that you kindly pay a little more attention next time you parked as you had run into the fence, splitting the bottom rail. At no time did we "confront" you or ask for compensation for damage done to the fence. With regard to your sink not draining, as soon as you mentioned it we did go up to your room immediately to repair it, as evidenced by the note that was left on your door advising you of same. Lastly just to clarify we do not have any rooms in our establishment anywhere near $250 per night. Nonetheless, regardless of what the room rate is, we treat all our guests with respect and great personal service.

As evidenced by reviews on this site, we do go out of our way to ensure our guests have a comfortable, relaxing stay with us and we are sorry that you do not feel that you had the same experience.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We took the opportunity of staying at the Sherwood Forest B&B for a short weekend. The new management, Jim and Nolene went out of their way to make sure our stay was an experience to remember. It was wonderful. We stayed in the Log Cabin Suite with its double-sided gas fireplace and private bathroom with Jacuzzi, wet bar and separate shower area e.g., very, very comfortable. Their breakfast was also outstanding. The first floor veranda was perfect for visiting with other guests as well. Also you can walk to the beach. We will return for an extended stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife and I had two great nights here in the Saugatuck-Douglas area. The charming house with a huge wrap-around front porch was a welcome sight upon arrival. Noelene made us two great breakfasts and helped us feel very welcome.
The proximity to a quiet Lake Michigan beach (a five minute walk at most) was a real bonus.
The HUGE jetted tub in the Black & White room (although I have no idea why it was named that) was spectacular!
The only negative we can think of, and it is way down the list of expectations, is there is no coffee or tea available in the evening. Even with that still a great stay!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary weekend. We enjoyed every aspect of the stay and found the B&B very welcoming and accomidating. The hosts made excellent dinner eccomendations and would help book resverations. The house is very welcoming and has a nice living room if you need to teak a break from enjoying the nearby towns.

The rooms are very large, and a seperate sitting area is great for relxation. I highly reccomend the rooms with the larger bath-rooms, as the whirl pool tubs are very relaxing. The beakfast is excellent and very accomidating. You're given a two hour window to arrive and a hot plate of food is immediatly brought to you. Coffee is fesh and constantly re-brewed.

It's was within walking distance of Saugatuck, it's a loner walk but very doable. The chain ferry was not in operation so we could not get to the downtown without driving. The nearby beach of lake Michigna is not to be missed.

There is a refrigerator in the bathroom which is great for chilled wine or bringing home a leftover if you need a mid day snack. only negative was the bed was a little firm but hopefully it's a newer matress that is being broken in.

Overall this is a great value for the town.

Room Tip: i reccomend the log cabin or Victoria) other room with large bathroom
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just got back from a wonderful long weekend stay at the Sherwood Forest B&B in Douglas, MI. I can't say enough about how much our group of 10 staying at the B&B had. Not only were the owners Jim and Nolene fantastic and accommodating, the place was impeccably clean. The breakfasts that we had during our stay were delicious. I loved the granola offered with the breakfast each morning along with the hot breakfast served daily. Yummy!!! Plan to go back. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing some of the decorating changes you talked about.

Room Tip: All rooms were wonderful since each of the rooms were occupied by someone from our group and I was a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
Hop & Vine Inn
Kingsley House Bed and Breakfast Inn
Twin Oaks Inn
Twin Oaks Inn
#1 of 19 in Saugatuck

Been to Sherwood Forest Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!