“Nice hotel, rude staff and disappointing water park”

Holiday Inn Dundee - Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Dundee
Torrance, California
“Nice hotel, rude staff and disappointing water park”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

The hotel staff from the minute we made reservations to the minute we checked out were not pleasant. I had reserved a room for 299 for ONE NIGHT which I thought was pretty pricey, but my son really wanted to go. The Day we were leaving they called to offer us to stay an extra night for 125 dollars. Well, I might have done it if they had called earlier, but this was already Saturday night and we couldn't stay Sunday night. That's a pretty big price difference, though! So when we got there they were sold out. The hotel was packed and so was the waterpark. There was no room to move around in the water park, or play or anything, I went back to the room, and my husband and my son stayed no more than an hour. Then my son, who is 13 wanted to get into the hot tub and the staff wouldn't let him. So my husband and son went to the pool in the hotel which was also overcrowded. The hotel rooms are nice and clean, but the front desk staff, reservations, and other staff make you feel like it's an inconvenience to answer any questions or help you out in any way.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank vivron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Cincy, Oh
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Wife and I have stayed there a couple of times in the past, king suite in the "adult" section/wing. Called about last month for another reservation. Confirmed another king suite. Well when we arrived for the confirmed date, we were told we had a reservation in the "family/kid" section, instead of the jacuzzi we got bunk beds. I told the clerk that wasn't what I reserved. I had reserved a king suite. I didn't have my copy of the reservation cuase I have never had an issue in the past.. Her reply was sorry we are out of the king jacuzzi suites. She continued talking and stated the last people that got the king suites were a big group. Then she started talking about "bumping" reservations. By the time she was done I had basically learned my single reservation had been bumped for the group. POOR BUSINESS practice IMO. Oh well, cancelled the bunkbed room and went across the street and got a nicer and cheaper king jacuzzi suite at another hotel after I told the clerk my problems at the Holiday Inn. Got a free hot breakfast also. I heard that the Holiday Inn even done away with the free breakfast they used to offer. Oh well, they won't get my business in the future, which is twice a year that I go there. I'll go acroos the street from now on.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank chihuahua014

Travellers are raving about these Dundee hotels

Holly, Michigan
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Well worth the time & money. My husband & 2 children (7 & 8) went Sat. July 30-31st. You can check in at noon & have access to the water park but they don't guarantee your room until 4pm. We got there right at 12:00 & they had our room ready. We sprung for the cheapest pkg which included 2 Qn beds & it was $199.99 which was perfect for us. Room was clean & was your standard hotel room. I was a tad worried about the restaurant and food situation but was so pleasantly surprised. The Pub & Grub allows your children to eat for free (w/ purchase of adult entree) and they had a decent menu that wasn't overpriced as I had expected. They had a breakfast buffet Sunday morning. The park wasn't overcrowded as I thought it would be for a Saturday, I only wished they'd provide a bit more seating/tables for people. The slides and pools are small enough that you can take breaks and allow your kids to go independently for a bit and you can always keep an eye on them. All in all I thought it was fantastic and will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank chrisv21
Millington, Michigan
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This was a great mini vacation for our family of four, kids ages 3 and 6. The hotel was uptated and clean. The water park was clean and safe and had plenty to do for all age. The resturant that over looks the water park had awsome food and the kids ate free so it was very affordable. We went to Cabelas in the morning and spent a few hrs there and then spent the rest of the day in the water park. we had a great time!

Room Tip: Get the room with the waterpark passes, its cheaper then gettin the passes when u get there
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We planned this trip for our two preschoolers. I read all reviews before going and kept an open mind. Well let me say that I was very impressed with our stay. We arrived early (noon), and they had a room ready for us and waterpark passes. Our room was in the "quiet" building. This was great for us since our kids go to sleep early. We had easy access to the waterpark, but without any noise in the hallway. Rooms were exceptionally clean and beds comfy (but firm). The lobby had complimentary tea, coffee, and milk going all day/night. The hotel offers kids eat free at breakfast/dinner, and I think it's up to 4 kids for every 1 adult entree purchased. Seating in the dining area is limited, so if you don't want to wait for a table, either go before 5:30 or visit one of the nearby restaurants. Waterpark was clean and lifeguards were good. It is a lot smaller than Kalahari or Great Wolf Lodge water parks but what we really enjoyed was how well it was laid out for smaller kids. There was a nice small area for little ones and the water was really warm so they could sit, splash, slide, but not shiver. Unlike all the other reviews, I did NOT find the waterpark overly slippery. I did caution my children not to run and be careful and they did just fine. Although there are two larger slides, I imagine the park is ideal for children 10 & under. On Saturday, they had a whole list of activities that the kids could sign up for (crafts, scavenger hunts, arcade contests, & more). In the arcade, a lot of games were out of service, but there were still things to do....it's not like I went there to play video games all day. Best feature of the hotel was the staff. Each and every staff member was very cheerful and kind. They did a great job to make a great stay even better. We will certainly be returning in the near future

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dundee, Michigan
Reviewed 23 May 2011

The hotel itself is nice, very nice in fact, but don't call the reservation hotline 1877-859-5095... when I called the woman who answered gave me the wrong website not to mention when she answered she didn't speak clearly at all instead of reservation it sounded like she said "masturbation"...I was in shock. While I had her on the phone I thought welll I will ask her if they are hiring and she said and I quote..."For room vacancies go to the website and search there." Best bet is finding the website on your own and making the reservation online..saves alot of time.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
CT
Reviewed 24 April 2011

The hotel is no longer a Holiday Inn Express so three was no breakfast. The water park looked fun for young kids. The room was clean. It was a good place to stay on our way to Ann Arbor.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundee
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dundee
Hampton Inn Monroe
Hampton Inn Monroe
#1 of 9 in Monroe
Holiday Inn Express & Suites MONROE

Been to Holiday Inn Dundee - Waterpark? Share your experiences!