Sunset Motel
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
All reviewswould stay againwificleanlinessbedsmichigan
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We loved this quaint little motel....2 double beds...windows that actually opened to catch a breeze....clean bath....tiny little kitchen area with a microwave and fridge.....place was very clean and well taken care of....flat screen on wall....good wifi.....the rooms were all in a row building behind a private home.....quiet with a pretty flower garden out front...

Room Tip: Would highly recommend this motel to everyone!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Gary and JoAnn T
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We wanted to stay between Lansing and Flint as we had business in both. There are not many options out there but we came across this little place on TA and decided to give it a try. It is a true Mom and Pop place that you rarely see any more. This motel sets in more of a residential area, but on a main road not far off of I-69 There is a house in the front with 10 motel units behind.

We stayed in room #8, a room with two beds that was very spacious and most importantly VERY clean. The decor was true mom and pop, a mix of a few different styles. There was a microwave and fridge which we did not need or use but was nice to see they were there. A nice bathroom, which seems to have recently been remodeled, with an excellent shower with HOT water and good water pressure. There was a flat screen TV with Cable. The rate was very reasonable for this room but I believe their rooms with 1 bed are less expensive. Not sure if all rooms are as nice as the one we stayed in but #8 is a winner. No breakfast is included but there are plenty of eating options just a mile or so up the road.

There were 2 minor negatives. 1.) We heard noise from other travelers outside very easily through the closed windows. It was just people coming in for the night, not too late and NOT a big deal. If the other room occupants are respectful travelers this should not be an issue. 2.) I slept fine but woke with a minor backache. The bed was a little hard for me but I have severe scoliosis and often have issues with beds. My husband said he slept wonderfully. Just note these are not pillow top mattresses.

We would defintely stay again and recommend this little hidden throwback. And yes, the gardens were pretty:)

Room Tip: Room #8 was a winner.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kcalmole
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I was coming in late from the Durand Train Station & decided against traveling home late at night. I made reservations ahead of time & the owners knew it would be late. No problem. Very easy to find from the station and a short distance to McDonalds. Room was clean and very homey. When I Ieft in the morning, I saw the pretty flowers and well maintained property. I will stay at the Sunset again and tell my friends also.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Debbie A
Reviewed 21 August 2012

After a less than satisfying one night stay at a franchise facility down the road, we transferred to the Sunset Motel. With family recently moved to the area, we will keep this one on our go-to list. A true mom 'n pop motel, with on-premises owners, flower gardens at the entrance, easy access room entry, and homey decor in very clean rooms. The reasonable room prices don't hurt, either. When in Durand, stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank ontwowheelsfortwo
Reviewed 19 July 2011

The flower garden near the office presented a delightful first impression and set the tone for the friendly welcome. Rates were surprisingly economical -- I came to know the true value after seeing the room! The tasteful decor comfort, and cleanliness were exceptional.

I will definitely consider Sunset Motel on my next visit to this area!

Room Tip: All rooms are off the highway, behind the office/house. Noise was negligible with A/C on. All ground level.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple