“The "heart" of MSU”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Flint, Michigan
“The "heart" of MSU”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

If you are a true MSU SPartan, the Kellogg Center is a great place to stay on campus. The rooms are small, there is no tub, but it has a "Sparty ambiance".
We like to stay after/before a game. There is a "Theater Package", which we use even though we are not attending an event at Wharton. The package includes dinner & brunch at The State Room, the restaurant in the Center. The State Room is part of MSU Business Hospitality program so the food and service is good, since many are being graded on performance.
Kellogg is so convenient if you are attending events or touring campus. You can walk to Grand River, where there are many businesses.
Kellogg Center is a true Spartan landmark.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I am hospitality business student in The Hospitality Business School at Michigan State University and I am extremely disappointed to be associated with this hotel. Today after my class got out I went to exit the parking garage with a friend. I have had more than a semester of classes at the Kellogg and have never had any problems with the facility or the staff. Today Lester at the parking garage treated me in such a horrible manner that I would never recommend it to any individual. When I tried to leave his rudely asked me where my money was which I explained to him that I didn't bring any because I had never had to pay for parking their while I attended classes. Instead of helping me resolve the situation by offering me options he told me he was full-time and had never let any students out. While explaining this in such a rude manner, he proceeded to talk on the phone to some friend and told me I had to talk to my professor because he was not going to let me out. I asked him if he could please call his manager on the phone that he was using for a personal phone call to which he responded that I could go get her. After talking with the manager Rebecca who seemed more cooperative than Lester, we explained our situation to which she told us that we would have to pay in the future, (which was not the issue), and that she didn't know why Lester was acting that way. She told us to tell him Rebecca said we could go. After returning to our car where we told Lester what Rebecca had said he still didn't let us go and insisted that we call her on the phone because he didn't believe us. We were extremely upset and asked him if he could call her on his phone with which he was talking to a friend again and he told us no we had to use our own phones. But we didn't know the number and he wouldn't tell us and told us to get out of the car. He flagged everyone behind us by and never charged a person. I sat in the car while my friend went inside and got the manager out. After that he demanded out ticket, (which had been an hour for class) and let us out only after his manager had to stand over his shoulder and tell him too. Why would I ever stay or recommend this much hassle to anyone?

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chelsea M
Rockwood, Michigan
Reviewed 20 January 2012

My daughter and I stayed here so we could tour the campus as she will be attending in the Fall. (If you have a student already attending you get a great discount on your room). They are in the middle of remodeling, but that did not make any difference. Staff was excellent, Our room was SUPER clean!! (I own a cleaning business so I always look). The Sparty store in the lobby was stocked! And you get a discount coupon just for staying in the hotel. Parking is covered and validated!! And the hotel sits just across the street from the newly remodeled Brody Hall. Within walking distance from "downtown" E. Lansing and bordered by the Red Cedar River to the East. Breakfast is included and is excellent! Will stay again for sure!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed there for a conference. The hotel has decent restaurants and bars, but the room is minimal. The bathroom does not have a bathtub, and shower is not convenient for use due to very limited space. I would say the hotel is designed efficiently for conference, but not good for other use.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Portland, OR
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed here for an MSU football/basketball game weekend. The location was fantastic (walking distance to everything) but the room was tiny and the bathroom was cruise-ship-esque - miniscule but functional. Even though the hotel was sold out, we didn't hear a sound from anyone around us; it was fantastically quiet. Queen bed was comfortable. Restaurant downstairs was really good. Overall - adequate place to stay in a great location.

Room Tip: It sounds like there are larger rooms/suites somewhere in the building - upgrade if you can!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 13 October 2011

My husband and I attended a conference here in early October, and we were really pleased with the facility and the always-smiling staff. Our room was a bit small, and the bathroom was -- well, odd. Instead of a shower, there was a shower head attached to the ceiling and a curtain to separate the shower space from the rest of the bathroom (think semi-private hospital room curtain). However, you really have to give it to them for their efficient use of space!

For a conference, this was ideal. For a wedding reception, probably not so much. First of all, I don't know if I'd want my guests staying in the rooms. They're perfectly adequate and tastefully-decorated, but I don't know if they're worth the price. Second, there were multiple wedding receptions there on the two days that we stayed. Maybe it's just me, but walking through 2-3 conferences and 2-3 other wedding receptions (and potentially running into another bride) is just not my idea of how I want to celebrate my "big, special, supposedly-unique" day.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Haslett, Michigan
Reviewed 15 September 2011

The entire staff of the Kellogg Center is to be congratulated on tending to every detail of my daughters wedding from the initial event staff, guest services at checkin, the quality of the rooms,the set up of the reception site, the quality and quantity of food preparation, wait staff and others I have failed to mention. If I needed a do-over (only daughter) i would come back to the Kellogg Center again and have mentioned these accolades to many, many others. Can't go wrong with this venue, they truly Deliver an Outstanding Customer Experience. The wedding was outdoors at the MSU South Horticulture Gardens, a truly spectacular ceremony venue.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
#1 of 9 in East Lansing

Been to Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center? Share your experiences!