“Please,please, do not stay there by any means”

Super 8 East Lansing/University Area
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Lansing, Michigan
“Please,please, do not stay there by any means”
Reviewed 24 December 2012

The guy in the front desk was so rude that I just wanted to live as soon as I talked to him, but I was so tired that I decided to give it a try. When I went to see the room I was almost in shock, everything looked really dirty and old and the smell made me want to vomit. I just could not stay in that place. After coping again with the rude guy in the front desk that by the way barely speak any english, I left the place thinking that my money was back into my account. I just checked my bank account and not only the transaction was not cancelled I was charged twice and for an unreasonable amount of money. Please, believe me, I am not joking or exaggerating, avoid this place as another customer review said sleep in you car is better than sleep there.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
EL_Super8, Front Office Manager at Super 8 East Lansing/University Area, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
To Mary W.,

I would like to personally apologize for your stay at our property. I am very sorry that our front desk employee was rude to you, as we do not accept that behavior from our employees. I would also like to apologize for the condition that you stated of the room. That is unacceptable standards and we are working on communicating and training our housekeeping staff better. If there is an issue with billing contact us right away and we can solve it very easily. Again, I apologize for all of the issues that arose during your stay at our property.

Super 8 East Lansing Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Just aweful. By far the WORST Super 8 I have been to. Run down, dirty, rusty, moldy. Anything nasty, you name it. If the hotels in the area hadn't been booked for the weekend, we would have turned around and left as soon as we opened the door. Curtains were broken, light fixtures and outlets didn't work. There were holes in the wall, door and ceiling. TV was fuzzy. We refused to shower while we were there because the bathtub was so disgusting. I thought the only thing positive was the bed... until my husband got bug bites. We didnt notice until we got home though... so we weren't able to identify what exactly he was bitten by.

The next night, we stayed at another Super 8 in Chicago which felt like staying at any other upscale hotel. So, there is no excuse for this hotel to be so terrible.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
EL_Super8, Front Office Manager at Super 8 East Lansing/University Area, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our motel. I am disappointed that we could not make your stay more comfortable.

I would like to assure you that we have swept the room you stayed in for bed bugs and we could not find any. We pride ourselves on making a constant effort to prevent any instances of bed bugs by taking precautionary measures. We have had no instances of them for at least the past three months.

I am also very sorry about the condition of the room you stayed in. If we would have known we would have tried our best to fix it. We are doing our best to check each room for quality cleanliness and overseeing our housekeepers much more carefully.

Once again, I am sorry about your stay with us and hopefully we can make a better impression next time.

Travellers are raving about these East Lansing hotels

Plano
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I drive charter buses and parking for large vehicles was good. The rest goes down from here. Beds seemed okay, but no or only lukewarm water for showers, room had been repainted, windows were dirty, carpet needed to be replaced. Free breakfast was a joke, stale ceral, small amount of milk, juice and coffee. Manager came in carrying two muffins, two bananas and small amount of coffee. Said he wanted to keep things fresh, so only put out a little at a time. Better breakfast was at Denny's and IHOP across the street. To add insult to injury, it has been over a month and Wyndham Rewards has yet to credit me for this stay. They say I didn't stay here according to their database. Well that maybe since the front desk gave me a handwritten receipt on a small credit card receipt. See my coworkers review on this hotel which includes pictures (AlfredK456). I would not stay here again, I'd sleep in the bus first.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Novi, Michigan
Reviewed 13 August 2012

where do i start? DIRTY everything, nothing on the bed was clean (pillows, sheets, blankets, etc). Horrible traffic noise. Remote did not work. Knobs on "tub" for shower did not barely turn and "luke warm" water came on after about 10 minutes. Dirty floors, dirty carpets, dirty towels. Horrible smells. Door barely locked. I only handled it for one night and slept on my clean change of clothes. Barely slept at all. Feel sorry for the nice guy that works at the front desk. Stay far away from here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank M D
dallas diva
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We came in the night of bar exam at MSU and this was the only game in town available. After staying I can see why. The windows were dirty and stained. The bedspreads looked like they hadn't been washed. The chairs were tattered and torn. The morning breakfast was bananas, fruit loops and stale muffins. So fitting for the condition of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I drive buses for a charter service, so parking is something I look for. The bus parking in the back was nice. Pulling onto the property there was a 5gal bucket with caution tape warped around it to show you where a grate had fallen into the drain. When I left after the week it was still there. The bed seemed nice and it did have a flat screen TV. Now for the rest. Hot water was barely warm at best. The floor by the bath felt soft like it was about to give way. There was an unsecured attic entrance in the bath area. The bath door was a metal door. Coffee maker had no coffee or cups. When we did get coffee for the last morning it tasted like it was 10 years old. Cracks in the support beams. Water damage on the outside. Out of date inspections and needing charge fire extinguishers. Missing fire extinguishers. Missing light covers. Garbage and cigaret butts everywhere. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank AlfredK456
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I planned to stay here after hiking the MSU spur of the Lansing River Trail based on the online advertised price of 42-43 dollars. Got there and was told that there was only one single-bed room left at 57 (this was a week day), but figured I should have made a reservation. Got to my room and found a plugged/leaky sink. No trim on the edge of the bathtub where there should have been tiles, just exposed underflooring. Uncomfortable bed. Backed-up toilet. Coffee maker didn't work. Continental breakfast in lonely little side room with sticky tables and fruit flies (probably encouraged by the propped-open door). Overripe bananas plopped in with good ones. I felt compelled to smell the milk before using it. This motel would have been *barely* tolerable at 40, let alone the 65.53 I ended up paying after taxes.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Hampton Inn East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
#1 of 9 in East Lansing
TownePlace Suites East Lansing

Been to Super 8 East Lansing/University Area? Share your experiences!