“Due for a gut rehab”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Reviewed 4 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I thought our first stay the previous month was bad. Carpet was stained and loose, sheets didn't fit bed. Blankets seemed over 10 years old, tv reception was beyond terrible, you had to again hold the toilet handle for it to flush, the shower ceiling paint was all peeled, wall was warped from an obvious flood of some sort, entrance door appeared to be broken into. Door didn't fit the frame. Terrible room.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I've stayed here a few times over the past year and I guess I've learned the trick to this hotel which I'll mention in the tips. The place doesn't look too amazing and for the price you can't expect 5 star everything but it does have some good rooms, of course some not so great rooms and a great location in my opinion. My first stay here was a dated older room in the back that had a tube TV and goofy paint with bad lighting but it was okay for the $60. I talked to Val the front desk woman who let me know that they had newer rooms near the office and ever since then she has been my main contact for the hotel. So now when I stay I usually get rooms 102, 205 or 207. All those rooms are newly renovated with flat screen TV's, pillow top mattresses and better Wi-Fi connections. Definitely an improvement to the original derpy room. Like people have mentioned the water does take a bit to get warm but barely over 2 minutes and it's good, breakfast is really basic but I don't stay at hotels for their breakfast and for the times I've stayed I never had to deal with smelling smoke or anything else in my rooms. It's a shame so many people have had problems staying here because the staff has been quite helpful to me when I've stayed and bar that first room, all of my stays have been great. I'm sure if they fully renovated the rest of the hotel this place would make a killing. I'll post pictures at a later date.

Room Tip: Either ask for a suite or rooms by the office, they're better.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We were forced out of our home by a recent ice storm and lost power. Unlike every other place I contacted, the Super 8 did NOT take advantage of our situation, price wise. Which was good, because the room was not very clean and in a sad shape of disrepair. But it had heat and hot water, so we were very happy! A working dead bolt on the door should be their first order of business to repair. Raj Patel is the GM and he did everything in his power to help us. I am handicapped and he gave us the room nearest the parking lot and always helped me from above the steps, so I didn't have to come down to the desk. He allowed us to call him between 12 and 1 every day, after we checked to see if our power came back on, even though check out is 11. Every employee we encountered was friendly and helpful. I noticed Raj treated every guest with respect and was so helpful and patient with everyone. So, yep, they need to ramp up housekeeping and repairs, but for the price, well worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor, if you have trouble walking. No elevator to second floor. Although second fl...
Reviewed 25 December 2013

University Quality Inn
University Quality Inn
#14 of 26 in Lansing
East Lansing Marriott at University Place

Been to Super 8 East Lansing/University Area? Share your experiences!