“Love it”
Review of Wharton Center

Wharton Center
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Seeing any professional theater performance is expensive, but we have always had positive experiences at the Wharton Center. If you use their concession stand, prices are high, but completely avoidable for a two hour show. It is difficult to get to the women's bathroom and back to your seat during the 20 minute intermission, but possible.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

The seats are probably 15 inches wide at the most (center to center). If you weigh over 150 pounds (or have a waistline over 32), you will feel cramped. A show over two hours long (no matter how good the performance is), will become tedious.

The production my wife and I saw "Gershwin's Porgy and Bess" was very good. Sightlines, accoustics and quality of performers are excellent.

I agree with the other reviewers about the stampede to the attached parking garage after the show. Be patient. You will be out of the slow traffic in ten to twenty minutes.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We have been going to performances at the Wharton since we moved to Lansing in 2008. With one exception, we have been overwhelmed with the quality of performances that the Wharton Center brings to East Lansing. When we started going to the Wharton, we bought individual tickets to shows, and ended up in the balcony for popular shows or in the wing seats for not so popular shows. We then became season subscribers so we could obtain better seating toward the center of the auditorium, which I would recommend if you see five shows in the offering that you would like to attend. My only complaint is that there do not seem to be enough public restroom facilities for the size of the audience. If you do not rush out and get into one of the two facilities right at intermission, there is a chance you might miss the start of the second act. Another minor gripe is the lack of a center aisle in the auditorium. While I realize this may remove a hundred seats or so, having to climb over so many pairs of feet to get out of your seat during the intermission is a minor pain (not only for you, but also for fellow playgoers whose feet are sometimes trampled). Be sure to bring at least $5 in cash for parking, as they only take cash. There is a limited concession stand that offers water, mints, candy and the sort. Another bonus is that during Be a Tourist in Your Own Town every summer, part of the tour is the Wharton Center. Take advantage of the tour, which takes you backstage to see how voluminous the stage is. It's fun and informative. The Wharton is truly an asset to our community and I look forward to many more years of enjoyable entertainment there.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

My daughters graduation was held here. It was clean, spacious, holds a lot of people and has MSU memorabilia threw out building.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

The Wharton Center is such an asset to Michigan State University and the entire Lansing area. The caliber of entertainment presented at the Wharton never ceases to amaze me. I have lived in the Lansing area since 1995 and have attended numerous performances at the Wharton every season. Parking is plentiful, reasonably priced and easy-access. And I always arrive early to purchase some chocolate chip cookies before they sell out!