“Bento heaven”

Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Lansing, Michigan
“Bento heaven”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We went to Sansu before a performance at the Wharton Center. I had called ahead to get reservations, and am very glad I did so, because the place got packed within about 10 minutes of our being seated. If possible, you should try the floor tables, which provide a unique dining experience. You might want to consider two things: joint condition and slip-off shoes. While the floor tables are very comfortable, if you have knee or hip problems they might be a bit awkward to get into and out of. And since stocking feet is a requirement, loafers or some other slip-off shoes are recommended. I wore shoes that tied, so it took me longer to get the shoes off and on during the meal. The selection of Japanese food is wonderful. They have sushi and sashimi of every sort, and a professional sushi staff to make sure your food is as fresh as can be. They also offer quite a selection of bento boxes. I ordered the chicken teriyaki bento and enjoyed certain elements of the bento, but found the sushi to be a bit too much on the kelp side for my liking. The tempura shrimp and vegetables were delightful, as was the chicken and rice. The miso soup was delicious, and the ginger dressing on the salad was quite tasty as well. Overall this was a great visit to a truly quality Japanese restaurant with plenty of selection and dining options. We will go again - and I'll wear loafers. Plus it is one of the restaurants that accept the Wharton discount card, which is a bonus on top of everything good about Sansu.

• Visited February 2014

Michigan
“Sushi beats Hawaii”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I sampled sushi in Hawaii recently and again realized that Sansu's sushi is world class. I've also tasted it in NYC, Vancouver, and Spain. There is an excellent variety of rolls and pieces of sushi and sashimi, and in the several years that I have been dining there, I had only the freshest, most flavorful sushi. Go early to beat the crowds or do lunch!

• Visited December 2013
Portland, Michigan
“Order the Avocado Boat”
Reviewed 1 January 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The wife and I decided we could make a meal out of splitting an Avocado Boat and ordering soup and salad a la carte. We ordered WAY too much food by getting that as an appetizer then ordering sushi rolls on top of that. We really liked everything we ordered, but it was just too much. Sansu is a little on the expensive side but it's our favorite sushi place in the Lansing area.
Did I mention that the Avocado Boat is delicious? Just order one.

Visited December 2013
Novi, Michigan, United States
“Great sushi”
Reviewed 20 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Loved all the rolls and the authentic vibe in the restaurant. Had a great server who was clearly on top of his game. Would definitely return.

Visited October 2013
East Lansing
“Sushi in East Lansing”
Reviewed 20 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Outstanding sushi, specials, Japanese and limited Korean faire. I have been dining there for years. Good service with outstanding ownership. Rebecca is special and has sent me home with free dishes for my wife when she has been ill. Sansu is an old standby for me; reliable, tasty, lovely environment and friendly staff.

Visited November 2013