“Right in the heart of East Lansing”

East Lansing Marriott at University Place
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
SILVER SPRING, MARYLAND
“Right in the heart of East Lansing”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Just steps away from the campus of Michigan State University, this hotel is also right in the heart of the eclectic downtown East Lansing with it shops catering to students and residents alike. The new art museum - which perches off of Grand River Avenue like a metal shark - is only a few blocks away. Diners can easily find something to their tastes at the many inexpensive, but interesting restaurants nearby. Those with fond memories of Beggar's Banquet will find it still open and till serving many of the dishes that you may remember from decades earlier.
The hotel is undergoing some main floor renovation (June 2014) that promises a more welcoming reception area, but the young staff behind the desk were just as cheerful, helpful, and professional as I have come to expect from Marriiot staff. My room on the 4th floor did not have an interesting view, but the interior of the room was nicely decorated and comfortable.
I wish Marriott would include windows that opened, even slightly, like they do on some of their other properties. The slightest breath of fresh air makes it easier for me to sleep - I fear the air conditioner and fan were a bit too loud and made for a fitful night, despite the super comfy bed, pillows, and duvet..
The in-hotel restaurant was lovely for breakfast with a nice and tasty low-calorie egg white frittata topped with fresh spinach, tomatoes, and avocados to add some color and yumminess.
Maybe I've been spoiled with the many coffee shops that appear now everywhere I travel, but I found the restaurant coffee a bit weak and perhaps Marriott could consider serving a local Michigan roast coffee to introduce visitors and tempt residents to enjoy another cup.
Overall, this is my first choice to stay when I am in Lansing -- I used to live there and still return to visit friends. Marriott made many improvements when they took it over from Holiday Inn -- I expect they plan to make a few more to make it even better.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the campus - ask for a room facing Grand River on the highest floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ZOEHART

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Flint, mi
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This year (2014), construction projects are overwhelming the MSU campus with many inconveniences. Maybe that is one of the reasons why the East Lansing Marriott picked this year to completely renovate it's lobby area. This is not a mere facelift, but rather, a complete "move the walls around" project.

So far, on my weekend stay (May 31-June 1) I haven't been bothered by the construction activity. Just be aware that this project should take all this year and probably go into 2015 as Phase 2 is started. The end result promises to bring the hotel up to the Marriott premium lobby standards with multiple seating areas with the latest technology.

Why would you stay here? The answer is simple... LOCATION! This hotel has a monopoly on access to the "hipster" downtown East Lansing area. The best local nightlife and the MSU campus is just a couple blocks away. The best downtown events such as the Spring Art Fair and the Great Lakes Folk Festival are right outside the main entrance. The underground parking garage is very convenient (provided that you choose wisely and park near the North "hotel" elevator bank and not the South "office tower" one). The elevators are very fast. You can be from your car to you room in less than two minutes.

The price for staying at this hotel is high. Just as in the "Monopoly" board game... you are staying in the "Boardwalk" hotel, and the rates reflect this. Some unexpected fees that you should be aware of: Parking in the underground garage is $9. a night. Wi-Fi is not free in the hotel rooms ($12.99 per 24 hour period). Wi-fi is supposedly free in the lobby... but remember the construction project... the lobby is being torn up. Argue this point to the nice people at the temporary check-in desk and they will probably waive this fee.

The rooms are what you would expect in an aging Marriott Landmark location. The bed comfort is the best ever.

I had an "issue" when first checking in. The HVAC thermostat battery was dead. It took only two minutes of waiting to get a response from the very professional maintenance man. A reminder that the staff at this hotel are the best that you will come across in any Lansing area hotel...kudos!

Click the "helpful Review" button if this information helped you decide whether or not you decided to stay here... thanks.

Ok... I'm going to step up on my soapbox now and talk a little politics (now is the time to go to the next review if you wish).

A note about the parking fees:... years ago, parking used to be free (to hotel guests) in the underground lot. The East Lansing city government has become one of the worst in the State. Parking all over the surrounding neighborhoods has been affected by the corruption of this local city administration. While the very high local parking rates do help with downtown infrastructure improvements, this mayor and city council have gone overboard and a bit too extreme (think Chicago and NYC as an example). The city of East Lansing has become a lot less "visitor friendly" and I suspect, is being controlled by the student housing landlords. Ok, maybe I'm getting a little-off topic here, but I can remember that it wasn't long ago that East Lansing was a good, economical, place to visit.

Room Tip: During the construction projects of 2014, ask for a room with an outside window view and not a room...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank flintjarvis
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 27 May 2014

After a long flight delay into Grand Rapids and an icy drive, we arrived at the Marriott in East Lansing shortly after 3am (with a client meeting starting in just under six hours).

The front desk staff was prompt and friendly, helped us get our rental car parked properly underneath the building, and got us to our rooms as fast as he could possibly do so. It was exactly what we needed.

The rooms were nice - certainly not spectacular, but comfortable. Good TV, good bathroom facilities.

The breakfast wasn't a great value, but (again) the folks in the restaurant were friendly, helpful, and attentive.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Excellent staff, location and clean rooms with great beds and lovely products. The whole staff goes our of their way to be helpful and everyone was pleasant and pleased to do what ever they could to make the stay pleasant.
I was at the hotel to speak at a conference. The hotel has excellent staff who are cheerful, polite and always pleased to be helpful. They go above and beyond like Chis who found me a carton of milk ( I needed tea with milk) when we were checking in after 11. The rooms are very nice with good beds, lovely bedding and the best soap! The location is very convent and you can walk to lots of great restaurants. My only negative is that the air conditioning tends to be loud.
The highlight is Silver and Beyond the fabulous gift shop located off the lobby. My colleagues and I are frequent travellers and we voted it the best hotel gift shop anywhere. The owner is gracious, charming and an inspired buyer. She has a range of jewelry and the best collection of travel bags. I appreciated her help and left with a LUG carry bag and Pacsafe purse that will make my upcoming Italy trip much easier. If you want to give your self a travel perk check it out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Traverse City, MI
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed here for the location, but ended up driving everywhere anyways. We walked to breakfast across the street. Nice, clean rooms with larger bathroom, courteous staff, and well light parking. Wish we had known about the pool - didn't see that in any descriptions.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is a beautiful hotel in the perfect location in East Lansing. So close to the university and everything you need is within walking distance: shops, restaurants, etc. My only complaint is our room faced the atrium and noise from a party (prom?) was floating up to our window, even though we were on the 6th floor. It would have been nice to have free WiFi in the room--for the price of the hotel, it should be included. Otherwise, it was a nice experience. The staff was friendly and helpful and the room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Eric S, General Manager at East Lansing Marriott at University Place, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for your time in providing us your feedback. Please accept my apology for any disturbance you experienced from the 2nd floor event. I assure you that we continue to look for ways to minimize noise disturbances to our guests. We are delighted that overall you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. We look forward to serving you again sometime soon. In the meantime, I thank you for choosing Marriott.
Lyndhurst, Ohio
Reviewed 23 March 2014

everyone there couldn't have been more helpful or more courteous. was without the internet for a whole day but was well compensated. Restaurant was wonderful. Breakfast buffet was delicious. Pool was warm and there was plenty of seating.

Room Tip: the king room was very comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Eric S, General Manager at East Lansing Marriott at University Place, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
We thank you for your feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to share your positive comments with my associates. I know they will appreciate the recognition. Also, we are glad that you were able to enjoy a nice swim during your stay -no better way to ease the winter blues!

Thank you for choosing Marriott. We hope to be able to serve you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Lansing
Residence Inn East Lansing
Residence Inn East Lansing
#2 of 9 in East Lansing
TownePlace Suites East Lansing

Been to East Lansing Marriott at University Place? Share your experiences!