“spacious, good kitchen, ok filling breakfast”

and 1 more site!
Gatehouse Suites East Lansing
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Hong Kong, China
“spacious, good kitchen, ok filling breakfast”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

stayed there for 5 nights for a conference at MSU, had booked 4 nights but ended up staying one extra. in contrast to the previous review the charging was straightforward and i got the online rate for the extra night too. the folks at the reception counter were nice and helpful, gave me tips about places to see around lansing, etc. the suite was really spacious. the heating worked very well. always found a parking space. they had a pool and a small basketball court but it was winter so they were both closed. they also had washing machines etc in a small shed in the yard but i didn't try. breakfast was plain but filling. wifi was free and worked well. if i go to east lansing ever again i will stay in this place again, good value for money.

Room Tip: a suite in a building next to the forest was quiet. ground floor was nice.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank urmsu888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We rented the penthouse suite for the weekend to attend both a football game and a bachlorette party weekend. We had 4 of us staying in the 2 bedroom suite. It was wonderful to have a living room for the pre-party and to have a kitchen to hold all the drinks and food for the tailgate and the late night munchies. The entire suite was clean, and they made the beds during the day. The parking was easy, available and free, which in a college town, is a wonderful plus. We greatly enjoyed our stay and I would definitely stay here again.
As for all the concerns about billing issues that were posted on here, we had not a single problem. I booked the room 9 months ago and they had the rates correct.

Room Tip: Penthouse Suites are on the 2nd floor, so be prepared to do steps.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Although we had made our reservation on-line and had the confirmed rate emailed to us, upon check out they tried to charge us $235/night compared with the $98/night confirmed reservation amount. The assistant manager was very difficult to work with on this issue and made it seem like we were making up the $98/night quoted rate. After having to bring our computer into the lobby to prove that we had the emailed lower rate, she very reluctantly charged us the rate we had booked at. Of course there were 3 versions of the bill until we could finally agree on the final charge. Customer service was terrible!

I would not recommend this property. The quality of the rooms has really gone down hill since it became Gatehouse (dirty chairs and couch along with a shower drain that did not work).

• Stayed September 2011

Travellers are raving about these East Lansing hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I stayed at the Gatehouse Suites recently when I had to bring a bunch of high school girls to MSU for a field hockey camp. It was a good fit for our purposes.

The Suites look like a small set of two-story apartment buildings, similar to the type many of us lived in as college students. We stayed in a two-bedroom unit on the second floor. The unit was organized as follows: on the first floor, there was a living room, a small kitchen, and a bedroom with full bath. Stairs lead up to a loft with a second bedroom and full bath. There were TVs in each bedroom and in the living room. The couch in the living room pulled out into another bed. The unit slept 6 overall. The kitchen was nominally equipped with the basics - a set of dishes and silverware, toaster, knives, a couple of pots and pans and other utensils. Fine for heating and eating, but not much more. Nothing looked new, and there was certainly nothing fancy about the place, but everything was nevertheless clean and in reasonable working order.

Breakfast was complimentary in the gatehouse - it was unremarkable, but adequate. The hot food was basically eggs, biscuits and gravy, and hash browns. None were better than ok. The cold food was cereal, some muffins, bagels, yogurt. Again, all pretty ordinary. There was a small pool on-sight, but we didn't use it.

While I doubt I would stay at the Gatehouse Suites if I was traveling by myself or with one other person, for our large party it was great. There was enough room for all of us, the hot water held up to numerous showers, everything worked, and the property was close enough to MSU to drive anywhere on campus within a few minutes. That being said, it was not really walking distance to most of the campus (the "one block from MSU" ads are a bit misleading). For example, I think it would be about a 20 minute walk to the heart of Campustown, or to the main quads.

If I return with my family or with another large party, I would likely book again with the Gatehouse Suites.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank perljam
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This place was great! Had a very clean suite with a large bathroom & kitchen. Great TV, comfy couches etc. Parking was near the unit and breakfast was much better than one would expect for the price.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Maine
Reviewed 26 April 2011

This is more of an extended stay hotel or condo and looks and feels like it was once apartments. Lots of room but the beds, furnishings and linens are not top of the line. With that said it is probably the best choice for families staying in East Lansing.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Auburn, Michigan
Reviewed 20 October 2010

After staying at this hotel for 1 night I checked my credit card statement and noticed 2 charges on it, one for a 1 night stay and another for a 2 night stay. I immediatley called the hotel and spoke with Tracie the General Manager expressing my concerns. She informed me that the charge was for a Matthew and that my card was swipped in their machine for his room. I asked her to check the records to see when I checked in which was at 4:43 PM and then asked when Matthew checked in and that was at 6:11 PM. Tracie insisted that the card was present at the time of the later check in, however the card was with me at all times and I was across town having dinner at that time. After discussing with Tracie for about 15 min she kept saying there was nothing she could do and that I needed to contact my credit card company to file a dispute, there was absolutely no empathy on her part. I have had issues like this before and other establishments were very sympathetic and agreed to look into the matter and get it resolved. At this establishment you are totally on your own even when it is the Hotel's fault!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
#13 of 25 in Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
#1 of 9 in East Lansing

Been to Gatehouse Suites East Lansing? Share your experiences!