“Hmmmm”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Traverse City
“Hmmmm”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

To be fair, one could probably argue that this property deserves 3 stars, but it is shocking
to me that this is the #1 rated hotel in East Lansing, thus I am giving 2 stars to balance the exuberance of other reviewers.

I will agree that the hotel does have friendly staff, thumbs up for that. And the location is good (adjacent to the Michigan State campus). The rooms are also spacious, and reasonably modern appearing, with full kitchens (I assume throughout).

What I didn't like... The hotel is designed, constructed, maintained, and decorated very cheaply. The exterior of the hotel is dingy. It needs at the very least a couple coats of paint. The walls are VERY thin. We spent a sleepless hour and a half, from 10:30 PM to midnight, listening to our neighbor's toddler do some crazy calisthenics on our ceiling while screaming unintelligibly. The breakfast was poor. I once had an equally poor continental breakfast at the Econo Lodge, in Manistique MI – but the perk there was that I was only paying $60 per night, HALF of what I paid in East Lansing. It is as if the owner of the current incarnation of this hotel has spent as little as possible to disguise a seedy underbelly. My concern is that when it is apparent that corners are being cut in terms of overall design, where else are corners being cut...i.e. hygiene, cleanliness??

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 May 2012

The rooms are reasonably comfortable and spacious with a kitchen that comes in handy as it is not real near restaurants and shops (but, not a problem if you have a car). The breakfast is rather limited, but at least it is included. The staff are pleasant and helpful (the manager let me use the office computer since the public one was broken). The exercise room is small...I didn't find it worth the effort. On the plus side, there is a coin laundry.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Marquette, Michigan
Reviewed 2 May 2012

From the road this hotel doesn't seem like much, BUT the suites are so spacious and clean. The staff were so helpful, getting us a travel cot before we even got to the room!
Unfortunately the pool area was not opened yet, but I bet in the summer this place is even nicer.
The breakfast was nice, and again there were staff there who wanted to help.
I would definitely stay again, and look out this brand!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Joe M, General Manager at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Gatehouse Suites! Thank you for taking the time to rate us.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We needed a room for the weekend and this worked perfectly. The staff and manager were extremely ameniable and quick to offer information on restaurants and local shopping. The suite was clean and comfortable. We will stay here, again, the next time we are in East Lansing.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Joe M, General Manager at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to offer our property a review. I am certainly pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you in the near future, and once again would like to thank you for your kind review.
indianapolis
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. The rooms allow a lot of noise in from adjoining rooms. Made it really difficult to sleep. All rooms have outside corridors which I don't care for. The breakfast was horrible...not a bit of fresh fruit. There was some canned fruit of some sort with a very heavy syrup. If you don't like instant scrambled eggs, there aren't many other choices. If you need to turn left out of the property- good luck. The traffic is horrible. The parking lot is also very tight. Two of the machines in the work-out room didn't work. It did have a functioning refrigerator which was nice. Some of the furnishings were worn. The bathroom needed some repairs around the tile and trim.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank philangie6370
Joe M, General Manager at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
I certainly appreciate the feedback you have offered. The feedback from our guests helps to create a more enjoyable stay for future guests.
Please be assured I will be looking into your concerns and hope to provide you with a more enjoyable stay in the future.
Please feel welcome to contact me with any other questions or concerns. Once again, thank you for your feedback!

Travellers are raving about these East Lansing hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Nice room for work and rest. Internet worked well..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I needed a two bedroom unit since my husband and I were taking our daughter and her girlfriend to a college visit at MI State University in mid-Feb. We wanted to have separate rooms. It did give us the privacy we all needed and it was a very clean and spacious suite. The exterior of the the buildings really could use a good paint job, but the interior rooms were very nice. We ate the free breakfast which was marginal, but it was free and easy to grab before our campus tour. The staff was very nice and the place was quiet. I got a great deal on the suite, $109.00 per night. The only real problem I found was the bed! I think it was a full size and very uncomfortable. We didn't sleep well at all. I would stay there again only if I needed a two room unit otherwise I would stay at The Kellogg Center which is located on campus and if you have a child attending MSU , which we do, the rate is only $99.00/night and it is a really nice hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
#4 of 9 in East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
#1 of 9 in East Lansing

Been to Gatehouse Suites East Lansing? Share your experiences!