“Amazing!!!”

Gatehouse Suites East Lansing
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This was my first time staying at this hotel. I had the best experience. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this place. When we arrived, the AGM Sandy, greeted us with a smile. She was very professional and pleasant (She deserves a raise ;)). We arrived before the check in time, which suprisingly was not an issue. The hotel was way more than we were expecting, it was like a little furnished condo, without the huge condo price! The room was very clean. The bed was very comfortable. The pool was nice and comfortable. The next morning we ate the complimentary breakfast that was provided. They had a great selction of food that all tasted so wonderful. The cook was great. He was very friendly and accomidating. We later found out that he was the General Manager of the hotel, filling in for staff that was on vacation. How great is that? Good Job Gatehouse Suites staff!!! You all made my stay very rememberable. I will be back!!!!.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 July 2012

I would recommend anyone to stay at the Gatehouse Suites in East Lansing. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Management is friendly, welcoming, and eager to help. Cleaning staff was very friendly and efficicient. Great place to stay and relax by the pool. Close to many restaurants, etc.

Room Tip: Rooms with lofts afford ample room and a private setting. Home away from home ambiance.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Stayed at the Gatehouse again for business. Again I enjoyed my stay. Had a big room with a bedroom area and it's own bathroom and an upstairs bedroom that also has it's own bathroom. The room was very clean and neat. Had everything I needed from wine glasses to dishwasher soap. It was like being in my own apartment while out of town for business. The staff was very nice and helpful. It is nice being a woman traveling alone to feel safe and comfortable. Again, thanks for the great stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We recently were in East Lansing to buy a house. We used trip adviser review to pick where to stay. We had a studio suite on the first floor and the noise overhead was loud hearing the footsteps through the night. I felt I was in a slum because the outside of the hotel had peeling paint and many place where big chunks of wood where evident. The tv's were very poor (70's boxes) and picture quality was bad. The unit we were in was poorly stocked and we had to ask for plates, cork screw, spatula, cutting board and kitchen towels. This just shows the quality control at this property is very bad . The snack is runny chili with no beans or ok hamburgers. The breakfast consists of two menus, waffles (which were good) , boxed eggs, and sausage. This was the best menu. The second was Awful french toast sticks and boxed eggs. There were English muffins for toast, a bowl of yogurt, canned fruit, and frozen strawberries. I would never stay here again until the owner discovers the wonders of paint.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2012

To be fair, one could probably argue that this property deserves 3 stars, but it is shocking
to me that this is the #1 rated hotel in East Lansing, thus I am giving 2 stars to balance the exuberance of other reviewers.

I will agree that the hotel does have friendly staff, thumbs up for that. And the location is good (adjacent to the Michigan State campus). The rooms are also spacious, and reasonably modern appearing, with full kitchens (I assume throughout).

What I didn't like... The hotel is designed, constructed, maintained, and decorated very cheaply. The exterior of the hotel is dingy. It needs at the very least a couple coats of paint. The walls are VERY thin. We spent a sleepless hour and a half, from 10:30 PM to midnight, listening to our neighbor's toddler do some crazy calisthenics on our ceiling while screaming unintelligibly. The breakfast was poor. I once had an equally poor continental breakfast at the Econo Lodge, in Manistique MI – but the perk there was that I was only paying $60 per night, HALF of what I paid in East Lansing. It is as if the owner of the current incarnation of this hotel has spent as little as possible to disguise a seedy underbelly. My concern is that when it is apparent that corners are being cut in terms of overall design, where else are corners being cut...i.e. hygiene, cleanliness??

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2012

The rooms are reasonably comfortable and spacious with a kitchen that comes in handy as it is not real near restaurants and shops (but, not a problem if you have a car). The breakfast is rather limited, but at least it is included. The staff are pleasant and helpful (the manager let me use the office computer since the public one was broken). The exercise room is small...I didn't find it worth the effort. On the plus side, there is a coin laundry.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 May 2012

From the road this hotel doesn't seem like much, BUT the suites are so spacious and clean. The staff were so helpful, getting us a travel cot before we even got to the room!
Unfortunately the pool area was not opened yet, but I bet in the summer this place is even nicer.
The breakfast was nice, and again there were staff there who wanted to help.
I would definitely stay again, and look out this brand!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Joe M, General Manager at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Gatehouse Suites! Thank you for taking the time to rate us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Lansing
Candlewood Suites - East Lansing M.S.U
East Lansing Marriott at University Place
Staybridge Suites East Lansing-Okemos (MSU Area)
#2 of 9 in East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
#1 of 9 in East Lansing
TownePlace Suites East Lansing

Been to Gatehouse Suites East Lansing? Share your experiences!