“Great to get away and full kitchen”

Gatehouse Suites East Lansing
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I booked this because there was a group of us. The front desk was very good and had no issues moving us when there was an issue with a pipe from the room above. Pretty much a full little kitchen even in the Studio's so you could cook if you wanted. Breakfast every morning and was pretty good for what it was. It's not a 5 star but nice to have food all set for you when you get up. The bed was soft but some people like that. All in all I would stay there again. Thanks to the staff!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Joe M, General Manager at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Dear Skippy0420,

Thank You for taking the time to write a response on TripAdvisor. All of our staff goes out of their way to ensure that you have the most enjoyable experience possible. I look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Read the reviews, pretty accurate. The decor is a little dated but definitely acceptable. Location is very convenient to MSU and numerous restaurants. We stayed in a unit that had a kitchen, BR, loft BR and 2 baths. Very spacious with everything you would want including WiFi, free breakfast, living area and nice TVs. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Breakfast nothing to write home about but typical free hotel breakfast. Paid less than for single room with fewer amenities on previous visit. Good value. Already booked again for my next trip to E Lansing.

• Stayed: May 2013
Joe M, Director of Sales at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Gatehouse Suites. Our friendly staff tries to make sure every guest feels special. Yes, our location is prime real estate to MSU. Please come back and visit us again!

Reviewed 24 May 2013

We stayed at the Gatehouse recently for our son's graduation from Cooley Law School. It was a hop, skip & jump away from MSU where the ceremony was held, in additon to it being the same wk-nd as MSU Arts festival. All was good, very quaint setting... we stayed in a 1st floor room which was very clean and staff was helpful & friendly. A little trouble sleeping our 1st night there with some late night revelers going in & out upstairs ...but hey it's a college town. Breakfast ran out quick but we went to a Bagel place near MSU which was the best! Great experience and would recommend it again.

Room Tip: Try for 1st floor if available.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Dear Becky,

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Gatehouse Suites. Our friendly staff tries to make sure every guest feels special. Yes, our location is prime real estate to MSU. Please come bakc and visit us again!

Reviewed 4 May 2013

We found this property while searching for a room in the middle of MSU graduation week. Given limited choices and decent reviews we opted to give Gatehouse Suites a try.

We had no trouble finding the location and with ample parking and the proximity to MSU and restaurants the location was perfect for our purposes.

The staff, be it front desk or cleaning were all friendly and all seemed to like their jobs (can't fake that).

We checked into 613 which was a ground floor (more about that later) 525ft mini suite, complete with a fireplace, TONS of closet/drawer space, a small kitchen complete with a stove, microwave, refrigerator, sink/disposal, minimal cookware and dishes/silverware with table for dining or paperwork. Additionally, there was a comfortable sofa and chairs. The bed was a queen (guys, how about making King an option in some rooms) and had a somewhat harder mattress than the norm (works for me & my wife, but might be objectionable to some) along with a large number (5?) of pillows.

With the exception of one of the sheer window covers (which also features a blackout curtain for night use) which appeared to have potting soil dirt stuck to it, we found that the suite was very, very clean and well supplied with towels, soap, shampoo and a hair dryer.

Additional nice touches:
1) Water pressure never changed in the shower and never had even a hint of running out of hot water.
2) Since it is a low density property, not a lot of people noise.
3) Breakfast buffet. An almost reasonable selection. We'll call this a neutral rating. Why. M-F this buffet is open 7-9AM. During peak periods seating is limited (although one could certainly simply carry food back to one's own room). More annoying, the motel was out of many food items by the 8:15 that we arrived each morning and we saw no attempt to restock this buffet as items ran out. A minimal nod to fresh fruit (they did have canned stuff) would have been nice, even if it was just a banana, apple, or orange.
4) On-site guest laundry was nice, along with a reasonable exercise area and pictured small basketball goal ... with MSU insignia.

Perhaps one of the biggest plusses was the room rate that we paid. During out stay, the room rate was considerably less expensive than a chain hotel/motel and we felt that we received much better value for our money with our stay at Gatehouse.

Negatives:
1) Exiting onto Grand River is simply a challenge. Between pedestrians, joggers, runners, bicyclists and two way traffic it takes patience and even some luck to get out of the parking lot.
2) We saw several people struggling to lug their luggage up the stairs to their second floor suites. Second floor suites are decidedly not recommended for anyone that might have issues navigating stairs and an elevator isn't an option.
3) Footsteps, dropped luggage and the like are audible when staying on the first floor. At one point we thought that we might have heard a re-enactment of Jimmy Hoffa’s demise. Each time the 2nd floor toilet flushes, the water rushes down the pipe in 1st floor suite and is audible. Sadly, if these types of noises drive you crazy then you might want to either avoid this property, or make sure who your upstairs neighbors are, or stay on the 2nd floor.

Do the negatives outweigh the positives? Nope and since our son has completed year one, we anticipate multiple visits to this property over the next ?? years.

Room Tip: Multiple great restaurants are close by, but since your room has a fully functioning kitchen, if you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Joe M, General Manager at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Gatehouse Suites. Our hotel wanted to be different than the typical cookie cutter types that you would find at most brands. We try to provide to most satisfactory of customer service and rooms that are warm and inviting. We are constantly working on ways to improve or hotel in terms of customer satisfation to make your stay a most pleasant one.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I recently stayed at the Gatehouse Suites in EL and loved it! Our first night we arrived very late and received a complimentary upgrade to a penthouse 2, which had enough room to sleep 8 people! I loved that the rooms have kitchens and are fully stocked with your basic cooking needs! The breakfast was great and had quite a few options! If you look at any of the pictures on the website you can tell that it is exterior entrances and there are no elevators, but you can easily get a room on the first floor. It is great that they have a laundry room, as I needed to was a few items while we were there! The whole staff was fantastic during my entire stay! Oh! They also provide a light dinner Monday, Tuesday , and Wednesday. It was great to have a small meal provided :)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Hello Kay,

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Gatehouse Suites. Our staff strives to go the extra mile by providing exceptional customer service and rooms that are clean. If you are ever in the area again please do not hesitate to visit the Gatehouse Suites!

Reviewed 13 March 2013

I chose this hotel because of all the decent reviews it received from other travelers. However, I got to my room which was on the second floor, no elevator, and all my luggage, it was rough. It snowed overnight and they didn't salt or shovel the stairs and I almost broke my legs and neck. Then I was stoked the room had the fireplace I asked for. However, it was not gas, and they didn't tell me when I checked in that I had to buy 1 log of wood for $4 each. WOW. Then, I went to sit on the couch and there were several ejaculation stains (see photos). Hair that was not mine in the shower as well. The TV was placed great for the couch which I couldn't bring myself to sit on, but no TV in front of the bed, it did swivel, but it was difficult to watch in bed. The kitchen was neat, until I made coffee and found lip prints on all the cups. Seriously, I would really like my money back on this one, it was pretty gross. AND, I went to sit on the kitchen chair, and it was so stained up I almost puked. Staff was super friendly, but didn't address the issues except writing them down.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank kramerica21
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I travel frequently to Lansing and East Lansing and this property is well-managed with professional staff and wonderful accommodations. The beds are comfortable and always clean. I have stayed there many times and I always have a clean room. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is always delicious and well prepared. The people at the front desk are courteous and pleased to see their guests. I feel safe there every time. If I have a problem, the staff are helpful to clear it up right away. I'm so pleased that I found Gatehouse. They are consistently terrific and professional.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Hampton Inn East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
#1 of 9 in East Lansing
Candlewood Suites East Lansing

Been to Gatehouse Suites East Lansing? Share your experiences!