“One thing after another going wrong.”

Gatehouse Suites East Lansing
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I had to check in during a storm, not their fault. But the gutters have an attachment to direct rain water away from the corners... So it was instead directed in a torrential stream right in front of the door. No way to get in the room without getting drenched. So when I did get the key card in and the door unlocked, it was dead bolted from the inside. They had given me a room someone was already in! Back down the stairs in the rain, back into the car to drive back to the front desk. There I wait. Because the same clerk had messed up another reservation and I had to wait while he got that fixed.

Second room, still raining, key card didn't work. This time I just called the desk from outside the door and made them come to me. They had to give me a different card (no, I wasn't putting it in wrong),

Other issues:
TV has instructions to 'press the On button once only, and wait a few seconds." I waited 3 minutes,
nothing. So I called the front desk and was told to try unplugging the set and plugging it back in. That worked, but really?

Of course, the only reason we wanted the TV on was because the pool couldn't be used. Over 90degrees and the pool was out of order for both days.

Got to breakfast the next AM at 8:00. Yogurt and fruit were gone, never refilled.

Nothing in the room that listed local restaurants, stores, you know, the usual hotel fare. Nothing with a layout of the property, hours of the pool (not that it mattered), etc.

Finally, at check-out the same clerk as the night before asked me for an email address because he couldn't print a receipt for me. (?!) I gave him my Comcast email address. 5 hrs later I had to call to request the receipt. A different clerk said she'd send it. 2 hrs later I called back, and she told me there was a gmail address she sent it to. It was the one I signed up with 2 wks ago when I made the reservation. So what the heck did clerk #1 do with my Comcast email? And if there was an email already on my record, why did he ask for another one?

When I finally saw my receipt, they had credited me $10. What a joke. They know that in a college town they can be crappy and still sell out.

• Stayed: July 2013
Joe M, Director of Sales at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I apologize for the issues that you had staying with us, please know that we take all of our reviews seriously and your comments have been taken into consideration. WE have had our pool foxed, and are taking additonal measures to make sure it doesn't happen again. Thanks again for staying with us!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

TV pictures snowy-could not be corrected by staff. Bathroom fan rattled so loudly we could not use it. No-slip strips in tub need replacing. No bath mat. Skimpy towels. No mattress covering (unsanitary!). Pool closed and filled with green opaque water. Landscape weeding neglected. Sidewalks uneven and hazardous. Outdoor trash cans overflowing and neglected both days of our stay. No soundproofing in ceiling to minimize noise from upstairs guests. Breakfast less than average and no waffles as promised.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Joe M, General Manager at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear James H.

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We take all of our reviews seriously and your comments and suggestions have been taken into consideration.We are in the process of replacing our ac systems and cable providers to make sure that this issue will cease. Thanks again for staying with us.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We had stayed at this property a few years ago after we participated in our first day of the MIS-150 bike ride. We had some issues then, but decided to give the hotel a second try. We will not be going back!
When one of the members of our team arrived for early check-in on Saturday, she was informed that the pool was broken but would be fixed by late afternoon. When the rest of our team checked in after riding 75 miles, we were informed that the pool may not be opened until well after our check-out on Sunday morning. One of the main reasons for choosing this hotel was because of the pool.

Our first room had an issue with the door. It appeared that the door was kicked in. It was rubbing at the top on the door frame, but allowing light on the bottom. We were issued a new room, but had to wait since the room was still being cleaned at 5:15 p.m. in the evening. The maintenance person came to our first room, looked at the door and said it would still be ok to stay in that room. I wasn't staying in a room that had a door that did not close properly.

We waited 15 minutes before going to our new room. The maid said her co-worker was still upstairs vacuuming but we could go upstairs and drop our bags in the room. The maid that was still in the room told me I shouldn't be in there because she was still cleaning. I informed her that her co-worker said it would not be a problem to drop the bags and she made it a point to say something to her in front of us. In my opinion, her behavor was very unprofessional.

The front desk was very courteous and tried to be very accomodating, however, she could have definitely used a second person helping at the front especially since there were several people checking in at the same time.

The property definitely needs some updating.

They had a basketball court, but the ball was locked in the manager's office and the desk clerk did not have a key to the manager's office.

They did have breakfast ready in a timely fashion on Sunday morning. That was definitely a plus.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear MSParticipant,

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused during your stay. We take all of our reviews seriously and your comments and suggestions have been taken into consideration. We have since had our pool fixed, and it will be open for the rest of the summer. We are taking additional measures to increase security on the property as well to make sure that this issue will cease. Thanks again for staying with us!

Reviewed 2 July 2013

These apartments converted to suites are nicely appointed in the kitchen and living. My issue is the TV was nice but the reception was terrible and we had static and fuzz on the screen, the other thing is the A/C ran all night and it never really got cold. You would be hard pressed to find a better location for the price and the ease of getting to Grand River and campus is prime. Don't plan on swimming in the pool as it is super small and the cigarette butts outside the room door was less than appealing. This place could be nice if managment paid some attention to detail but if you need a quick stay for $111 this will work.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Joe M, Director of Sales at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Hello Brewski000
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and I apologize for the issues that you had staying with us. We take all of our reviews seriously and your comments and suggestions have been taken into consideration. We are in the process of replacing our ac systems and cable providers to make sure that this issue will cease. Thanks again for staying with us!

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stayed here in late June, so it might be different when MSU in session --- but for LESS than one room at our usual holiday inn express, we had sleeping room for 8 (if you used sofa bedfor2) ,with two full baths and a full kitchen dining area, not to mention living room and3TVs, decent wifi, and standard breakfast buffet.

There AREsteps to climb, and it is not 5 star like the Redidence Inn downtown Chicago that we love --- but it's also 1/3 the price, and you don't feel crowded at all (there were 4 of us , and we wanted 2 bedrooms)

Some pieces of furniture had stains on upholstery, and the coffee cups were not that clean, (I'd suggest putting your dishes into dishwasher if you're going to use them)... But other than that, very clean with good maid service.

If you want to be guaranteed 5 star hotel, this probably isn't it --- but for the price, we were very happy and will gladly return

Room Tip: No elevator
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for writing such a detailed response for your stay! We are currently renovating some of our rooms and have hired a Executive Housekeeper to ensure that all of our rooms meet the same standard of cleanliness. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our layout and pricing and we hope to see you here in the future!

Reviewed 15 June 2013

We really enjoyed our quiet stay in the penthouse. Having a full kitchen and two bathrooms was a definite plus. Free WiFi was also great. Front desk staff is great. However this place could be a very nice with a little updating. Like all facilities all things wear out. Replace the worn sofa and stained kitchen seating. The beds are a little soft even for my taste. The housekeeping staff needs a supervisor to ensure that the cleaning is a little more thorough. I had to clean the kitchen counters, and bathrooms (tubs and toilet rings) even after expressing my concerns. Breakfast could have offered a little more creativity. How about fresh fruit instead of can and frozen. Add yogurt in containers. Gatehouse is in a prime location. Make it a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms near the front are probably better for people with mobility issues. The parking is closer.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Joe M, General Manager at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Hello Jackie,

Thank You for your candid remarks. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Gatehouse Suites. We are in the process during the next few months of changing out the decor. I also recently hired an Executive Housekeeper to ensure that all rooms are up to the highest level of cleanliness. I am working on creating more menu options for breakfast as well.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

I booked this because there was a group of us. The front desk was very good and had no issues moving us when there was an issue with a pipe from the room above. Pretty much a full little kitchen even in the Studio's so you could cook if you wanted. Breakfast every morning and was pretty good for what it was. It's not a 5 star but nice to have food all set for you when you get up. The bed was soft but some people like that. All in all I would stay there again. Thanks to the staff!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Skippy0420,

Thank You for taking the time to write a response on TripAdvisor. All of our staff goes out of their way to ensure that you have the most enjoyable experience possible. I look forward to seeing you in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
#1 of 9 in East Lansing
#2 of 9 in East Lansing

Been to Gatehouse Suites East Lansing? Share your experiences!