“AMAZING place to stay, virtually on campus!”

and 1 more site!
Gatehouse Suites East Lansing
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Libertyville, Illinois
“AMAZING place to stay, virtually on campus!”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We have now stayed at this great local suite hotel 4 times, and each time they re-affirm my faith in a good hotel deal at a good price. They are constantly improving! From the well-stocked kitchens, to the nicer showers recently installed, to the yummy, hot breakfast, it's all good. The suite is roomy, super-clean and quiet. We come here the night before moving my daughter into MSU from out of state. It's literally across the street from campus, but feels removed from the college atmosphere. We will never look for another hotel in East Lansing, as this one is efficient, clean, roomy, with good amenities (especially in the kitchen), and a stocked breakfast. Stay here FOR SURE if you are at MSU or East Lansing for more than a day--the kitchen is great for making your own meals and saving $!

Room Tip: We've been in suites on the bottom floor, which are all quiet and super-comfy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The hotel is very good and confortable option for overnight. Even better if you stay there longer time. The room is a suite, is spacious, with a complete kitchen, big bathroom. The suite is clean, quiet, with a very confortable king size bed. The breakfast selection can be a little bit more wider, but still ok.The staff is helpful. It is recomendable for business or familiar trips also.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We have stayed here twice in the past 6 months. Five of us in total, so the two bedroom loft worked great. The kitchen also was very handy. I thought the free breakfast was not worth the price (ha ha), but other than that, it was a good place for my family and I.

West Bend, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed the weekend at Gatehouse Suites in order to help our son move into MSU so we didn't spend much time at this location. The time that we spent there was comfortable. The suite was very clean and spacious. The kitchen facilities would be great for families that are interested in preparing their own meals during their stay. We enjoyed a quiet good night's sleep. All staff were friendly and provided excellent service. A sufficient continental breakfast was available and included eggs, potatoes, French toast sticks, muffins but no meat options. TV service was okay; some stations didn't have clear reception. The discount for MSU students made our stay an excellent value.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Joe M, Director of Sales at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Gatehouse Suites. Our friendly staff tries to make sure every guest feels special. Please come back and visit us again!
Auburn, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The place is located within a couple of blocks from Michigan State University. Construction on the road that the main entrance is on made it nearly impossible to get in and out of. Rooms are nice enough. Cobwebs along ceilings and the earwig that I wrestled with in the shower leads me to question cleanliness. Quiet enough. Comfortable bed. Huge TV. Full kitchen. Would be great for an extended stay for sure. No hot tub. Pool incredibly small. Good breakfast. Restaurants nearby. Nice staff.

• Stayed July 2013
Joe M, Director of Sales at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear Laura P,
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. We now have an Executive Housekeeper on staff that to ensure that all of our rooms meet the same standard of cleanliness. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our layout, and pricing and we hope to see you here in the future!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I had to check in during a storm, not their fault. But the gutters have an attachment to direct rain water away from the corners... So it was instead directed in a torrential stream right in front of the door. No way to get in the room without getting drenched. So when I did get the key card in and the door unlocked, it was dead bolted from the inside. They had given me a room someone was already in! Back down the stairs in the rain, back into the car to drive back to the front desk. There I wait. Because the same clerk had messed up another reservation and I had to wait while he got that fixed.

Second room, still raining, key card didn't work. This time I just called the desk from outside the door and made them come to me. They had to give me a different card (no, I wasn't putting it in wrong),

Other issues:
TV has instructions to 'press the On button once only, and wait a few seconds." I waited 3 minutes,
nothing. So I called the front desk and was told to try unplugging the set and plugging it back in. That worked, but really?

Of course, the only reason we wanted the TV on was because the pool couldn't be used. Over 90degrees and the pool was out of order for both days.

Got to breakfast the next AM at 8:00. Yogurt and fruit were gone, never refilled.

Nothing in the room that listed local restaurants, stores, you know, the usual hotel fare. Nothing with a layout of the property, hours of the pool (not that it mattered), etc.

Finally, at check-out the same clerk as the night before asked me for an email address because he couldn't print a receipt for me. (?!) I gave him my Comcast email address. 5 hrs later I had to call to request the receipt. A different clerk said she'd send it. 2 hrs later I called back, and she told me there was a gmail address she sent it to. It was the one I signed up with 2 wks ago when I made the reservation. So what the heck did clerk #1 do with my Comcast email? And if there was an email already on my record, why did he ask for another one?

When I finally saw my receipt, they had credited me $10. What a joke. They know that in a college town they can be crappy and still sell out.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I apologize for the issues that you had staying with us, please know that we take all of our reviews seriously and your comments have been taken into consideration. WE have had our pool foxed, and are taking additonal measures to make sure it doesn't happen again. Thanks again for staying with us!
Chelsea, Michigan
Reviewed 16 July 2013

TV pictures snowy-could not be corrected by staff. Bathroom fan rattled so loudly we could not use it. No-slip strips in tub need replacing. No bath mat. Skimpy towels. No mattress covering (unsanitary!). Pool closed and filled with green opaque water. Landscape weeding neglected. Sidewalks uneven and hazardous. Outdoor trash cans overflowing and neglected both days of our stay. No soundproofing in ceiling to minimize noise from upstairs guests. Breakfast less than average and no waffles as promised.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Joe M, General Manager at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear James H.

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We take all of our reviews seriously and your comments and suggestions have been taken into consideration.We are in the process of replacing our ac systems and cable providers to make sure that this issue will cease. Thanks again for staying with us.

Travellers are raving about these East Lansing hotels

#4 of 9 in East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
#1 of 9 in East Lansing

Been to Gatehouse Suites East Lansing? Share your experiences!