“Poor customer service, tired”

Gatehouse Suites East Lansing
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
michigan
“Poor customer service, tired”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The room was okay. However, there were several things that needed replacement or repair. The housekeeping service was suspended due to the recent frigid temperatures which we understand. However, when she returned after two days of no housekeeping, she barely touched the place. Floors did not appear to be vacuumed, the dirty kitchen dish rag was not replaced. The internet went out a few times clearly due to the bad weather. However, we initially reported it twice over two hours. The first time we were simply told it was probably due to the weather with no mention of a plan to check into it. The next call an hour later was disconnected. An hour later, we went to the office and the young woman said, "I was going to call about that." We had to wait in the office for quite awhile before she made a call. The next morning, we inquired again and the day staff had no idea the internet was not working! She failed to communicate the issue. The breakfast was okay, but when I got there at 8 am one morning to three staff members just standing around and talking, the hot food was pretty much gone and I had to ask them to replenish. The stay was a big disappointment.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sgw57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Ludington, Michigan
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Will never stay here again. Stayed here NUMEROUS times while having to dogs treated at MSU i the past 2 years. Won't stay here again. I stayed the night of Sunday OCt 6 to Monday morning OCT 7 at 8:50 am. Our appt for our dog at MSU oncology was at 9am Monday Oct 7. We left our room Monday morning to our appointment and went home to Ludington area after the appointment(about 4 pm that day we headed home). Like at every other time I stayed I left the two room keys on the desk/table by the door of our room when we left. We had the ground floor room nearest to the office. I got my credit card bill for Oct. 2013 and there were two nights charged. We checked in late on Sunday, sometime between 8-11pm(roughly)The girl with blond shoulder length, hair about 5'6", a bit heavy set was the one who checked us in. I don't remember her name but she knows we only asked for one night. Whatever you do if you stay here DO NOT LOSE your checkout receipt!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these East Lansing hotels

Michigan, North Dakota
Reviewed 14 December 2013

First, I like this place. Great location and the rooms are well laid out and very comfy. Staff is very friendly and helpful!

Only problem I have with this place is that they could use some new mattresses (the ones in our room tended to do bend toward the middle) on the beds and a little more cleaning. They have those familiar white paneled doors and they hadn't been touched in months. Grout in the bath was also in need of some cleaning.

Would I stay here again? Yes, despite those drawbacks this is still a place I would recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 December 2013

What a great place to stay! For $5 they gave you a fire log that makes this a place to stay that will you remember! You have a fire and what else do you need to connect to the one you love! I have stayed here several times and have never been disappointed! The breakfast in the morning is FREE and has always been great. Lisa is always wanting to give us what we need above what she has available. She is awesome! Thank you,

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed here one night after the Spartans game. The suite was large, full kitchen, large bath, couch, fireplace and comfortable bed. The property was clean, and while not decorated in the most current style, more than fine. We were happy with the location to campus and the staff was friendly and professional.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 October 2013

A reservation for three nights, at Gatehouse Suites, was made through United Airlines reservation services. It was claimed that only three rooms were available for the nights I wanted (this was not a football game weekend!). The price quoted was $139 per night, prepaid, supposedly a discounted rate. I later cancelled this reservation and received a refund through United. Upon arrival in East Lansing, I looked at several other hotels/motels that I considered to be unsatisfactory. I then went in person to the front desk at Gatehouse Suites and was told that many rooms were available for $99 per night. After checking in, I looked on the webpage for Gatehouse Suites and saw that rooms were available for $85 per night. I went to the front desk and told them what I found. They said, "Okay, we will change the rate to $85." When I asked why the discrepancy in rates I was told "Oh, they change all the time." Since I was going to depart for the airport at 3 a.m., I asked for a final invoice the evening prior to my departure. They told me that they couldn't give me one as their system wasn't updated, but that I could come back at 3 a.m. for a copy - which, while inconvenient, I did. Having travelled the world, I have never stayed at such a sloppily managed hotel/motel. The "student" staff did try to be helpful and pleasant. But I don't know about the intentions of "management." This used to be a Marriott Residence Inn. I can now understand why Marriott would possibly not want their name on this facility.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Charles M
Libertyville, Illinois
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We have now stayed at this great local suite hotel 4 times, and each time they re-affirm my faith in a good hotel deal at a good price. They are constantly improving! From the well-stocked kitchens, to the nicer showers recently installed, to the yummy, hot breakfast, it's all good. The suite is roomy, super-clean and quiet. We come here the night before moving my daughter into MSU from out of state. It's literally across the street from campus, but feels removed from the college atmosphere. We will never look for another hotel in East Lansing, as this one is efficient, clean, roomy, with good amenities (especially in the kitchen), and a stocked breakfast. Stay here FOR SURE if you are at MSU or East Lansing for more than a day--the kitchen is great for making your own meals and saving $!

Room Tip: We've been in suites on the bottom floor, which are all quiet and super-comfy.