“Charity Island Day Trip”

Charity Island Dinner Cruise
Ranked #5 of 11 things to do in East Tawas
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My family did the day trip to the island because we had children with us, so we didn't want to do the dinner trip and pay the full price. The crew taking us to the island were great and very personable. The history provided by the lighthouse keepers were amazing. I was captivated by the history that I never knew. This was a great family trip, we packed our own lunches and ate on the island. We will come back again for the adult dinner trip in the next few years.

5  Thank cnschwab2104

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Our family chose a daytime boat tour from Caseville. I don't see it listed as an activity from Caseville so I'm posting it here. Refreshments were provided during the 1.5 hour trip each way in calm seas and the two crew members were attentive and friendly. We also learned a great deal about the island along the way.

Once docked we took a 10-minute easy walk to the Lighthouse Keeper's home and enjoyed packed lunches in an open pavilion. Bob narrated a very interesting history of the Charity Island lighthouse. Then, we had time to explore, climb the lighthouse, shop for gifts, and walk the beach before heading back to the dock.

It was a pleasant outing for our family and we feel $39 is worth the price. If you like nature and visiting historical treasures then you will enjoy the trip.

7  Thank Quellet
Reviewed 30 June 2013

After reading these reviews, my husband and I were concerned about paying the $84 each for the dinner cruise from the Caseville location (not East Tawas) to Charity Island. We decided to go ahead and try it, and we are very happy that we did! We both love being out on the water, so we enjoyed the hour + trip out to the island. On the way there, we were offered complimentary sodas and water as well as cheese and crackers (nothing fancy, but still tasty). Although you can't bring it with you on the island, guests are welcome to bring a cooler of adult beverages on the boat, and we enjoyed them on the ride over and back. I was happy to have my windbreaker, especially for the sprays of water that splashed over the side when the waves got a little bumpy (there was an enclosed area of the boat where we could have sat if the water bothered us, but it didn't). After arriving on the island, there is a short walk through the woods until you reach the lighthouse/lightkeeper's house (I'd strongly reccommend using the bug spray that they carry onboard). The owners are very friendly, and were more than happy to give us a full tour of the house (which they built) and tell us all about the history of Charity Island. We really enjoyed the dinner which is served on a covered deck with a fabulous view. Dinner consisted of bread, whole red potatoes, vegetables (mostly cabbage), and either steak tips (which I had) or fried perch (which my husband had). We both enjoyed our meals; the food was served hot and delicious. Wine and beer are also available for purchase (I heard someone buy a beer for $4), but we didn't buy any. After dinner, we explored the lighthouse (which is not part of the official tour, but no one stopped us). There is a small gift shop there, and we bought a christmas ornament and beer coozy. The ride back to Caseville was timed perfectly with the sunset, and the crew on board offered us yummy cheesecake with strawberries (they no longer provide coffee, though). Throughout the day, we took many fabulous pictures and discussed how happy we were that we decided to make the purchase and take the trip to Charity Island. While it may not be as fancy as some people would hope, it was a good time, and we would reccommend it for people who enjoy boat rides, being in nature, visiting historic places, and having fun.

10  Thank Jessica S
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Expensive. Food was not very good. Weather is a big factor. Its a long ride out to the island and if the lake is rough you might want to take sea sick precautions.

1  Thank Carolyn C
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Enjoyed the big water boat ride, followed by a pretty good dinner, and a little time to explore the residence and the island. The hosts both on the boat and island were excellant.

2  Thank James S