“Caseville to Charity Island”

Charity Island Dinner Cruise
Ranked #5 of 11 things to do in East Tawas
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Our first trip to Caseville for the Cheeseburger days. Just happened upon the link to the Dinner Cruise. What terrific good fortune. The weather was perfect. Arrived early enough in the day to get a place to park. I consider it very much similar to meeting a friend at the Caseville Municipal Marina and riding with him on his boat (with 40 of your best friends of course) out to his Island home. Which just happens to be a Michigan Historic Treasure. Love these historical tours. The stories, all the background. The dinner was spectacular. THAT was unexpected.

Would have loved just a little more time to walk around and absorb the place. Soak it all in. Make sure I saw everything. Completely professional in every detail.

HIghly recommend the excursion. Pure Michigan

8  Thank Mike S

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We started in Caseville and Captain Tom and his very friendly crew welcomed us aboard. The trip to the island was about 75 minutes with spectacular views. Once we landed we walked through the unspoiled woods to the lighthouse for refreshments. Dinner was outstanding. The perch was cooked to perfection and the rest of the meal was equally as good. We were able to climb the lighthouse and then get our lighthouse passports stamped inside the lighthouse building. Dinner is served outside in a large gazebo and local wines are served at a minimal cost. The trip back was timed to take advantage of the sunset over the lake and we enjoyed our cheesecake while we rode back. We can't wait to go back again.

5  Thank Chosen 1
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I would rate this experience just short of excellent. Our trip from Caseville was smooth and uneventful. Our choice of cheddar or pepperjack cheese & crackers with pop & water was fine. The docking was smooth in the rustic but secure dock. I took the "carriage" ride up to the house & light. The sharing of the site's history was interesting and dramatic as entertainment until the food was cooked. We chose steak which was excellent ~ well seasoned and cooked. The potatoes, vegetables & bread were also good. Those who ordered the perch said it was good. These people opened their summer home to us ~ we wandered around their home as 43 of us used their personal restrooms. The lighthouse needs to be restored. The boat trip back was rougher but only one became literally seasick. We were offered strawberry cheesecake and coffee, pop & water. The sunset was brief due to clouds but gorgeous!

The downside was the road from the dock to the site is overgrown enough that I got smacked in the face several times with tree branches & sumac (which my husband is highly allergic to). The mosquitos are so bad that I was miserable at the time, knowing that when the bites were gone, I'd have amazing memories. We were told ahead of time they were bad therefore I cannot understand why the place wasn't fogged. If you go on this excursion, be sure to take a citronella candle for the table as well as personal spray. If you are a lighthouse passport stamp collector, be sure to be prepared and take an ink pad. The stamps have recently arrived but no ink pad although a summer guest did come up with a marker that pretty much worked.

Overall, I would do it again taking a candle & an ink pad.

2  Thank Pat E
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was our first trip on the sunset dinner cruise to Charity Island from Caseville. The excellent reviews already written describe the trip well and need no additions. However I did not understand the reviews from those who were not happy with this trip. Everything mentioned in the ads was provided. We had coffee available on the cruise, crackers and cheese on the trip out, and cheesecake on the way back. The dinner was marvelous! Tasty, hot, and plenty of food.
We thoroughly enjoyed the history of the Island presented by Bob, and the informative tour of the lightkeeper's home by Karen. Could not have been more pleased with this cruise and will probably do it again and definitely will reccommend it to our friends.

6  Thank ladywilla
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My family did the day trip to the island because we had children with us, so we didn't want to do the dinner trip and pay the full price. The crew taking us to the island were great and very personable. The history provided by the lighthouse keepers were amazing. I was captivated by the history that I never knew. This was a great family trip, we packed our own lunches and ate on the island. We will come back again for the adult dinner trip in the next few years.

5  Thank cnschwab2104