“Old School ain't always that great”
Review of Bambi Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in East Tawas
Bambi Motel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in East Tawas
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My wife and I chose The Bambi Motel for a quick one-night get-away last weekend. It's been years since we stayed here and we really didn't remember much about the place. Yes, it's one of the dying breed of family run motels. Yes, it's a throw-back to simpler times and evokes a certain nostalgia for that era. But then you remember that those eras had their rough spots, too. The place certainly is neat and squeaky clean. The mattress was comfortable, and the bed linens fresh. The bedspread was a homey chenille instead of the gaudy quilted, stain disguising ones you get at the chain motels. Room decor and bath fixtures are definitely from an earlier era, all dark wood paneling and somewhat mismatched furnishings. Surprisingly, though, it's not at all worn or tired looking. Rather well maintained, in fact. The room we stayed in was on the small side, though not cramped. But here's where the golden nostalgia ends. Remember the thin walls in those old motels? Yup, this place has 'em. On a night when the place was not even a third booked, the manager put someone in the adjacent room, the headboards of our beds separated by a few hollow inches. When they had a 45 minute coughing fit at 12:30 am, we heard every hack, wheeze, and snort. When they arose at 5:30 am we heard every footstep, gargle, and toilet flush. Yup, just like the (not so) good old days. The place does offer a few nods towards modernity. The room had a small fridge and microwave, and a flat tv. They even advertise Wi-Fi, but our experience with it was poor. The signal was very weak in our room. My iPhone 4 could not connect at all, my wife's iPhone 5 and laptop could just barely maintain a connection. So I just rate The Bambi as average. Very clean and reasonably comfortable, definitely nostalgic, but in both good and bad ways. Since most of the lodging properties in the Tawas/East Tawas region are of a similar age and type, choices here are limited. Many of the motels are closed or in serious decline. I would stay at The Bambi again, but fully aware of it's drawbacks.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank rkram

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Read the Trip Advisor reviews, and decided to give it a try. All we can say is the reviews are spot on. This small family run motel is spotless, clean, and very we'll maintained. The room was large, comfortable. The bathroom was spotless, and I mean spotless. I've stayed in 5 star hotels that weren't nearly as clean.

Next time we're in Tawas, we'll be back for sure!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tudor A
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My husband and I spent one night at the Bambi Motel this fall. We had a king bed room that was spacious and comfortable. The room was very clean. The bed was too firm for my taste but I was able to sleep through the night.

We rode our bikes to the State Park and Lighthouse which was delightful. We picked up the bike path within a few blocks of the motel. The path was alongside the road to the park but the path was very wide and flat. There were few cars so we felt very safe riding there. I also liked that we could park with our bikes right next to the room. Very convenient.

We were able to walk to the Big Boy for breakfast the next morning which was pleasant. We would like to return to the Bambi Motel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MiSusan
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

I admit I was a bit leery of staying at a little motel, but we checked trip advisor and this place had great ratings. I understand why now. Our hosts were very pleasant and our room comfortable, well appointed and extremely clean. I would recommend this place without hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Kimberly H
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I think with all the positive reviews on here, this place is no longer a hidden gem, it is out in the open. Yes, it is a gem. The place is as neat as a pin and clean, clean, clean, as others have said. The bed was comfortable, the room had windows that open to let in fresh air (although it could get a little noisy), and the amenities included a microwave, fridge, and a small work desk. It seems as though it should be easy to keep a motel clean, after all, this is what can make or break a motel. But by contrast, the place I stayed in Tawas City the night before changing to the Bambi was a mess. Cobwebs in the corners of the room, dirty shower, messy floor, unfriendly host. Oh yeah, the hosts at the Bambi were wonderful, friendly and helpful on the phone and in person.
The Tawas Bay area is a great place to vacation, so I expect to be back at the Bambi next year.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Michigan_Nomad1
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The Bambi Motel is simple, down-to-earth, clean, neat, reasonably priced, and a joy. The current owners have been doing this for almost 30 years, and by " this" I mean being warm and welcoming hosts. We spent the second night of our stay hanging out by the bonfire-on-the-asphalt, watching a Detroit Tigers game, and drinking a beer with Bill (one of the owners). The Bambi is convenient to the Big Boy, and about a 10 minute or so walk from the downtown area. You're also about 3 miles from the tip of the Tawas State Park. This was our first visit, but hopefully not the last.

Room Tip: The owners have a "no noise after 11:00 p.m." policy. Much appreciated! There is no swimmi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AphraB1
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Michigan's "Sunrise Coast" is touted in the state's travel brochures but somewhat forgotten by the tourists Michigan is trying to attract -- except those who return year after year, in this case to the modest but truly welcoming Bambi Motel at the edge of Lake Huron in East Tawas. Exceptionally clean and comfortable, the Bambi will be remembered for more than sparkling floors in the bathroom and tidily made beds. Owners Bill and Kay make sure guests who are in the mind for company get to know each other during their nightly "parking-lot bonfires." Lawn chairs are pulled up around a big wire basket full of flaming logs right on the asphalt; guests bring their own refreshments, and the stories unfold among strangers who leave the next day with a warm feeling for the new people they've met on the road.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 4 in East Tawas
No photo provided
Scenic Resort
#4 of 4 in East Tawas

Been to Bambi Motel? Share your experiences!