“What a Great Find!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eastport
Barnes Park Campground
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I found this place by mistake while searching for firewood for a trip to the area and camping at another campground http://www.torchlakefirewood.com/ I couldn't say enough nice things about this place, it is truly a gem! Besides having the "Wood Guy" right outside the park with good dry wood to have a great campfire (3 for $10, $35 half, $65 full face cord), there is a nice hardware/general store/gas station with diesel around the corner on US31, a DNR beach access for Torch Lake just east of US31 on Hwy 88, where we could take the dogs to swim in the lake. Torch Lake just had a few small rocks near shore but otherwise a sandy bottom.

Many of the sights were plenty spacious for our 35 foot three slide fifth wheel. The sites are up on a bluff, but there is a nice stairway down to the sandy beach, but the lake was full of rocks, basically flat but completely covered in rocks, so water shoes are a nice thing to have, but not a complete necessity like camping on some parts of Huron or Superior.

We picked a site and a worker stopped by in the evening for payment, though we stopped by the office on a few occasions during our stay to purchase a t shirt, no one seemed to be there, but being after Labor Day this wasn't a big surprise. I noticed some negative reviews due to refunds, we managed there clearly stated policy by just purchasing a few nights then adding as we decided to stay longer, as no refunds is on the board at the office. While the sites that may be reserved were okay, there are plenty of nicer sites if you can come in early in the week or during the off season pretty much anytime will allow a decent site choice. You can easily switch sites first thing in the morning, if one opens up you like better and take care of it later in the day. There are no paved sites and dirt will be an issue.

This place is kept clean! We had vault toilets nearby and used them on occasion since they were closer, the regular restrooms were clean and as every other thing in this park, very well cared for. Showers were 5 minutes, though it took nearly 30 seconds for warm water, the temp was controllable. There are garbage cans every several sites so getting rid of trash is easy, and there is a recycling area for other items near the office, which is nice to get rid of stuff that doesn't need to enter a landfill.

There are several trails in which to walk, or in my case tire out the dogs, which were also well maintained and wide enough to easily walk my two Rotts. Wish we could have taken the dogs to the beach there but it was clearly stated to be a $25 fine.

Verizon normally worked but would loose 3/4 G at times. Satellite TV could be tough due to trees, but since I don't know how they work there could be possibilities. We were able to watch the 4 big networks of ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox with no issues, along with some PBS channels.

All in all this park will be on our annual hit list as it has turned into an instant favorite for the wife and I.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RottieGuy951

Reviewed 9 September 2013

DO NOT pay in advance!!! I paid for 2 nights the day I arrived even though they only asked for one nights rent. I thought I could save them the hassle of coming back the next day.Something unforeseen happened and I had to leave after the first night. Eileen [--], "The Manager" was unavailable to help me at the time. I phoned her later in the day and she informed me that there were no refunds.This is the weekend after Labor Day and I can assure there was no one waiting for my spot. Very poor management bordering on rude. Will never go back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank ted e
barnesparkcampground, Manager at Barnes Park Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

NO REFUNDS has always been the Park Policy as this Gentleman states he was aware of this and still paid in advance.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I called to cancel my reservation the first day I had the site booked for and was assuming I would only be out a night's fee plus the 10.00 reservation fee. All the phone attendant could say is uhhh...I don't know how that works and that someone would be there at 8:00 in the morning and would call me. No call first thing in the morning so I called them as I needed to know what situation was. They told me they had cancelled my reservation and are not refunding any of the money I paid for the three nights of camping. They informed me that they had filled my site already too. Maybe they should reword their refund policy on their web site as it states "24 hours after the arrival date No Shows will forfeit entire deposit and the site unless the park is notified." Well I notified the park well before 24 hours.
It's a shame they couldn't take responsibility for their miscommunication and chose to keep my money especially when they had no problems rebooking the site so quickly. It was an enjoyable place to camp the year before. Sorry to say I won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank bluesea99
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Beautiful Barnes Park, right on the shores of East Grand Traverse Bay, is not only a great campground and place to hike and enjoy the beach and forested trails, but also is the home of the Antrim County Petoskey Stone Festival, www.petoskeystonefestival.com, held on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend every year. The festival is filled with fun events, food, music, and wonderful presentations all offered free to the public, so plan on being at Barnes Park in Eastport, Michigan, on Memorial Day weekend. The park is sprayed annually for bugs, so no worries about mosquitoes or black flies, either!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2012

The view is gorgeous, and the sand is nice and clean. Can't say anything about the camping as we just spent a few hours at the beach. The only downside I saw as far as the beach was that from the edge of the water in to the bay quite a bit were rocks. Slippery rocks the size of your palm or more. Not great for little kids. Not great for anyone as we all were having a hard time walking over them.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank trvlKC
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I am originally from the area and have many options of places to stay, but this is my #1 choice. The campground is one of the best I have ever been to. The sites are wooded and mostly private, the bathrooms are always clean and well stocked. But the best thing of all is the other campers you meet, most are so friendly and considerate of others. I lost my brand new camera right before we were ready to leave, someone saw my flyers and called me that they had found it. They mailed it to me. Nice honest people!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank tcreller
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

Nice campground. Bathrooms are clean. That's so important! Family friendly. Dog friendly. Staff seems a bit odd, and a bit unorganized, but were nice. Enjoyed our 4 night stay. The easy access to Traverse City and points north makes it convenient.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Cmr013

Been to Barnes Park Campground? Share your experiences!