“Nice Atmosphere, But Pricey And Non Adverturous Menu”
Review of The English Inn

The English Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The English Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Eaton Rapids
Price range: US$23 - US$36
Cuisines: American, French, British
Good for: Business meetings, View, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: South of Columbia Hwy.
Description: The English Inn is "Creating Special Memories" with unparalleled ambiance and incredible cuisine. Hosting four stunning dining rooms the restaurant features classic preparations such as Chateaubriand for Two, Beef Tartare, and Roasted Prime Rib of Beef in addition to creative modern cuisine. The restaurant can host private parties from two to sixty. Our ballroom Medovue Hall can seat up to 200 guests for dinner receptions or weekday luncheons and meetings. The Pub and Terrace offer casual dining with classically British items such as Cornish Pasties, Fish and Chips and Shepherds Pie as well as unique sandwiches and salads. We look forward to hosting you soon at The English Inn, " Creating Special Memories".
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
“Nice Atmosphere, But Pricey And Non Adverturous Menu”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I have eaten at the English Inn many times for both social functions and dinner with family and friends. I find the menu a bit tired and lacking of depth. They serve the same meals that are rather pricey and have little variation of choices. They do not veer away from the same old tired whipped potatoes, mixed vegetables, same old main courses and same old desserts. Their chef needs to expand his/her horizons. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful place and worth a visit if you have never been there, but they need to change up their menu from time to time. Also hold onto your wallet. It will be an expensive night out.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank MK H
Erik N, Owner at The English Inn, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Hello MK H,
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your compliments on the ambiance of the property and your critique of the menu. I felt similarly about the menu when I took over the business three years ago. Chef Jon Bastianelli and I have worked extensively to cultivate a seasonally driven menu that changes every quarter. We do have two sections to our menu that you will find "English Inn Classics" and Seasonal Specialties" several of our dishes on the classics page do come with the traditional accompaniments; however, more than half of the menu is comprised of unique composed dishes. A few examples include, Smoked Pork Tenderloin with truffled spaetzle, Grilled Salmon with a citrus orzo salad and pomegranate, Venison Loin with banana butternut squash hash as well as others you can find on our website englishinn.com. I invite you to come back and explore the unique side of our menu. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Cheers,
Erik Nelson

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Exceptional Property & Very Good Restaurant/Pub”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This is an old manor house that operates as a bed and breakfast as well as a pub. It was a private mansion converted and has been through a couple of owners. Currently they are constructing duplex cabins to enhance their ability to accommodate overnight travelers. I had a pub burger topped with brie and a house dressing that was out of this world. I have eaten in the restaurant upstairs as well but the pub is quaint, private and "around back".

• Visited August 2013
Detroit, Michigan
“A Gem. Worth a long trip.”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This undiscovered, out-of-the way Inn is worth the trip. It is like eating in a turn of the century small castle. Food is interesting but the atmosphere and location are really special.

For a full experience after a fulsome meal, choose a dark and stormy night, order in a snifter of brandy, and imagine pulling out a dog-eared copy of Mary Shelly's... well, you know the book.

Naperville, IL
“Excellent Food, Service and Ambiance”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 40th anniversary dinner here and we were extremely pleased. We were a little late for a our reservation and were seated immediately upon arrival. The wait staff was very attentive and checked back frequently. We ordered the Sunday special 5 course meal. The turkey artichoke soup was unique and outstanding. The salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette was the best I have ever had. The main course we selected was prime rib with mashed potatoes and green beans. Very nicely done! We then had the house selected dessert which was tiramasu which was ok. Overall the food was well prepared, tasty, and nicely presented and the service was great! The ambiance was wonderful in a home built in 1927 and impeccably maintained.

• Visited May 2013
Brighton, MI
“Charming ambience compliments the dining experience!”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Having lived in the Lansing, Michigan area for many years, I have dined at The English Inn many times. While I moved away six years ago, I am still close enough that I can dine there occasionally. We took a couple with us that we had introduced to The English Inn a few years prior. The atmosphere of the restaurant is above charming and it is a real treat to dine in the room with the piano player. Our meals were truly special and all four of us had something different, so the menu has plenty of selections to please. I had the stuffed quail, which is one of their specialties, and something you don't see on many menus. The stuffing was an earthy mushroom filled breading that complimented the delicate flavor of the quail. This is served with fried polenta cakes that are so tasty, you will wish you had more. I highly recommend The English Inn, especially for a special occasion like an anniversary, or birthday!

• Visited April 2013