“Hard to find good help apparently...”
Review of Riverwalk Grill

Riverwalk Grill
Ranked #12 of 22 Restaurants in Elk Rapids
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My first visit here since they burned and rebuilt. There were 10 people sitting at various tables and 4 at the bar including me.The building is very nice. Whitefish spread was very good. The bartender on the other hand needs to understand what he does for a living. He SERVES people food and booze! Good bartenders anticipate their customer's needs. I had to ask for EVERY new beer. Apparently he doesn't understand the International sign for "I want another beer" which we ALL know is putting your empty on the edge of the bar. And when I ordered the last one, he actually FORGOT and started doing something else and at that point there were only TWO people at the bar. Incredible.

Additionally, the owner or manager was sitting at the corner of the bar monitoring everything. That alone annoys me at bars as it always seems as though there is a constant stream of workers hovering around the person asking questions, talking, sharing inside jokes, however, the guy should have noticed my empty beer (twice) and either poured them for me OR told the bartender to do so. Neither happened and I was only two stools away from him.

In any event, they did just reopen recently and it IS hard to find good help up here. Just seems like the bartender should be top shelf. I may return, however, there are a LOT of other places to visit.

1  Thank Rebel-Miles-Photo

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We were happy to see this reopen since we can go by boat and there is outdoor seating. We went at about 8 P.M. on a summer night. Our greeting was, "Did you check in with anyone? Who said you could sit there?" There were several empty tables on the deck. Nice welcome. We duly checked in and sat down, but we were told that we couldn't get food for awhile. How long? No one knew exactly. We said we'd have a drink and see if they could find out how long until we could order food. Again, the place wasn't full. Twenty minutes later someone came to take our drink order. We inquired about food. She had no idea. After another 15 minutes, we got our drinks, but still couldn't order food, not even an appetizer. We finished our drinks, waited a very long time for the bill, and then waited again for her to come back for the credit card. When we told her we would eat elsewhere the response was, "Oh, good, because we just can't keep up." They have a lot of work to do. A view will not keep people coming back if they can't get drinks or food in a timely manner. Train the staff, limit the menu, and get your act together.

2  Thank Samantha484
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Paul our waiter had an amazing knowledge of their brews. Ate on the deck in the early evening with a group of eight and were served in a prompt and efficient way. Beers are a little pricey, as I am not a craft beer drinker I can't compare to other restaurants

1  Thank Wayne P
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We were on our way from Petoskey to Traverse City and stopped in at the Riverwalk for lunch. It was obvious from the outside that it had been recently renovated and even more so on the inside. There is still the smell of newly sawed wood in the air. We were greeted in a very friendly manner and took a table by a large window with a great view of the lake. The menu is a bit different from what I'd expected in that they are not trying to compete with all of the other restaurants that serve whitefish and perch. They do have seafood, but it is shrimp and lobster that can be had as a salad on a roll or on a flatbread. We opted for the BBQ pork nachos. These come on homemade corn chips which have a slight lime taste. The portion was huge, more than enough for both of us. The lunch menu also includes staples such as hamburgers, fries, onion rings, large chef salads, etc. What I saw around us looked very inviting and all of the portions were large. They have a full bar and a large wine selection. There is also a very large selection of Michigan beers. The décor has a northern Michigan lake theme including a wooden Thompson 16 ft equipped with all of the fishing gear and a Johnson motor hanging from one wall. All of this works extremely well in the large dining area which is well lit through huge windows. There is also a nice deck overlooking the lake. The service was good. We'd certainly dine at the Riverwalk again if we are in the area.

1  Thank Ml W
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Riverwalk's new menu is right on the money. The beer and wine menu has many fine Michigan products with beers from Bells and Shorts breweries and wines from Arcturos and Good Harbor wineries, to name just a few. One of their appetizers is smoked whitefish Boursin dip made from Cross Fisheries smoked whitefish. My lobster roll was not a classic Maine style, but delicious nonetheless. They top the lobster salad with Muenster cheese and bake it until the cheese is melted; I didn't need the drawn butter! The prime rib at our table was perfectly cooked. My only regret? No room for dessert....

They are still working out the acoustics issues. We had great service.

2  Thank susanw452