“Welcome Home” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Elk Rapids B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Welcome Home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2009

If you want a setting that is a "home away from home", The Cairn House Bed and Breakfast in Elk Rapids is for you. From the beautiful grounds to the proprietor greeting you at the door, you know you have found the right place for your stay in Michigan. The rooms are clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. An excellent breakfast awaits you every morning served in the glassed in porch. We feel like family after visiting 2 consecutive summers.
Cindy

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

For several years now we have stayed at Cairn House B&B each July for 5 days. The owner Helen is delightful; tales of her winter volunteering in Asia makes for interesting conversations. The B&B is very comfortable & on a lovely lot. Our room this year overlooked her garden & a farmer's field. Breakfasts are delicious!

Chattanooga
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

The Cairn House is impressive to drive up to and the grounds are lovely. Breakfast was tasty.

san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

My fiancee and I stayed at Cairn House B&B while we were in Traverse City for a wedding. We were greeted with ice tea and made to feel at home in Helen's presence. Coffee was made well before breakfast was served so we could 'wake up' before heading downstairs to eat. The back of the house looks over a field so there is privacy and its quiet. We very much enjoyed our stay and highly recommend Cairn House for northern Michigan travelers!
Marina & Tom

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Kentwood, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

We stayed at the Cairn House Bed and Breakfast to celebrate our anniversary. We were planning on spending most of our time in Traverse City, and this bed and breakfast seemed out of the way, and the rate was reasonable.

We arrived at the bed and breakfast, and it looked just like the picture in the website. We were greeted by the inn keeper. To be honest, I cannot even remember her name. We were shown our room. We had booked the Oriental Impressions Room for $135 a night. The house was beautiful, decorated like one would expect most bed and breakfast's to be: frilly, flowery, and like a grandma's house.

We had a private bath, and a king sized bed. At first glance, everything seemed nice and neat. However, I went into use the bathroom, and found a razor blade in the toilet. Upon fishing it out, throwing it away, and using the restroom. I proceeded to wash my hands when I noticed the toiletries on the sink. There it was, shampoo, lotion, conditioner, and even MOUTHWASH that was OPEN and half gone! The toiletries were open and used! They had not been replaced. I started to wonder what else had not been done in our room. Had the sheets been changed? Had the towels been washed?
We were the only ones staying at the Inn that night, but we were strictly told that breakfast was from 8:30-9:30. We were not asked what we would like, and we were very disappointed. We were served fruit, muffins, and a breakfast burrito. It was not very good, and we were not even left to enjoy breakfast in peace. The Inn Keeper decided to sit and watch us eat, rambling on and on about her travels abroad. She kept talking about how disappointing it was to have to pay $45 a night to stay abroad when she was "volunteering" her time. I wanted to slap her. I am sorry, but when you stay in a third world country, even if it is to volunteer your time, you do not complain about having to pay a very small amount for accommodations. If you are volunteering, you are not on vacation! Annoyed, we excused ourselves as soon as possible, and proceeded to go to our room, gather our things, and get on with our day. This was a shock to us, having stayed in many of the area's bed and breakfasts inn's before, we had always been treated like royalty, and were sad that this was not the case during this stay.

The next day was no better. Breakfast was some awful blueberry and cream cheese baked bread, with super sweet (homemade) syrup. The Inn Keeper kept going on about how she makes absolutely no money running this place. It was apparent that she does not enjoy being a hostess, and my husband and I could not help but stifle laughs when she mentioned not being booked at capacity this season. Perhaps it was her personality that prevented people from coming back.

I would never recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone. We were practically ignored until breakfast, there were no special mention of our anniversary, although there was a place to list if we were celebrating anything special on the reservation. I am not sure the room was cleaned before we arrived, and the toiletry issue was simply disgusting. It also would not hurt for the towels to have been washed with a bit of fabric softener!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Horsemad27
rosebud0, owner at Cairn House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 26 August 2009
I take pride in my Bed and Breakfast and my first priority is the comfort and welfare of my guests. Had you made your concerns known at the the time of your stay, I could have addressed them and hopefully we could have worked them out to your satisfaction.
Ann Arbor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

My friend and I drove up from Ann Arbor for a 2 day trip to Traverse City for the Cherry Festival, and after doing a bit of online searching, found the Cairn House Bed and Breakfast. When we arrived there, we saw it wasn't that far from Traverse City at all, maybe 10-15 minutes. Helen, our host, was so nice, attentive, and had the best stories. I almost didn't want to leave the house, I just wanted to sit in the yard and hear her life adventures. The room was very comfortable and clean. The en suite bathroom was also very clean (great shower!). In the morning, Helen made us a delicious breakfast: french toast with fresh berries and bananas; she bakes her own yummy breads too! I plan to stay there again in the future. Thanks for a lovely stay!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
peoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

We enjoyed the room accomodations as well as the good company in the morning that was served up along with delicious food. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,809 reviews
Park Place Hotel
Park Place Hotel
#32 of 40 in Traverse City

Been to Cairn House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!