“really deteriorarated”

The Rowe Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Rowe Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Price range: US$23 - US$42
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Rowe Inn of Ellsworth, Michigan, offers an intimate, casual atmosphere of fine dining for Charlevoix, Torch Lake and all of Northern Michigan. You'll find our seasonal menus and expansive fine wine collection perfect for any occasion. Individuals, couples, groups and families are equally welcome and catered to. All our meals and wines are served with passion and commitment unsurpassed by anyone in Northern Michigan's fine dining industry. Reservations required. No BYO bottle corking fee available.
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I have been going to the Rowe Inn for more than 20 years .Always had great wine and food .had not been here for a couple of years .The wine list is as extensive as always .Usually the Sommelier is the original owner or his son .this time we had a female sommelier who was absolutely hopeless .We ended up with a white burgundy which was expensive and I think had gone off a bit .In the past I have had a wonderful 40 year old rioja and Winston Churchill's favorite champagne. The menu was quite short and did not have any fish on it other than a shrimp ravioli which my friend had ,it s a tiny portion and didn't look good .I had the pork,which was a few pieces of pork loin ,some gravy ,quinoa (which was dry and disgusting, I have had better in a cafeteria. The rack of lamb came out raw ,sent back to be recooked ,it was average .I had the lobster salad for an appetizer ,absolutely tasteless .desert was decent .The cost was 100$ each. Its a shame ,this part of Michigan used to have three fabulous restaurants ,the rowe inn ,,tapawingo and spencer's creek ,two closed one terrible .the only replacement right now is siren hall.

9  Thank arh0070

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Was really looking forward to this meal, had heard about this place from my folks for years. Doesn't look or feel like it changed since then. I was really put off by the so-called wine expert who showed up after we ordered from our waitress (why would they do that?). She questioned our order (a mid-expensive wine I'm familiar with and like) and later seemed to mock us at the next table over for not recognizing her expertise. Made all of us very uncomfortable. Lots of attitude here - also witnessed by the sign in the bathroom telling customers how to flush the toilet. Not what I expect from a nice restaurant. Food was just ok. Pork was over cooked, small portion and under seasoned. Not worth going out of the way and spending this type of money for.

4  Thank noleintx
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Hard to find fine dining these days and this is one good place. $108. for dinner so they get a 108 word review. If you are looking for fine food and drink read no further. Went there having selected a wine from their online menu but walked in and met their “Sommerlier” and decide that was going to be way too much work. Opted for a wine spritzer and manhatten which were great. Ordered the trout and filet and both were fabulouse. Only problem was that the entire resturant was filled with conversation about the wine and the Sommerlier’s chatter from table to table offering to “uncork” expencive bottles for tast saying “this is my favorite, if you don’t choose it I’ll take it home tonight for myself”. Said that 3 times in an hour over 3 different bottels of wine….must be a hell of an after-party at her house. All the chatter and fuss over their wine was distracting. One neighboring couple drank 2 bottles before they even finished their meal and ordered 2 more to go. People were selecting $100-300+ for wine at the table and taking it home for $50-150+ when you can purchase these wines online for far less and have it delivered to your home. I guess the wine is the thing there with food as the afterthought. My biggest problem is that with a full book of wines there was not a single offering of local wines, not one. The area is one of the largest grape producers in the U.S. and offer many award winning wines. Offering Leelanau wines is part of the “Up-North” experence, I can get a bottle of 2005 Châteauneuf-du-Pape at The Rattlesnake in Detroit. Gets 5 Stars for being a great restaurant but 1 Star for the wine snobbery. Well that’s 300 words, keep the change.

1  Thank Thomas S
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

It's been at least 15 yrs since my last visit. The food & service was every bit as good as remembered. I won't wait that long again.

1  Thank Michael R
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We look forward to our visits to the Rowe Inn every year while we are up in northern Michigan. It is a family tradition. This year we went with my sitter in law, niece, father in law and my bride. Overall the food and service were good and the dessert and wine as well. The reason for the average rating this time is my niece ordered her filet steak medium well and it came medium rare. She sent it back to be cooked more and it cam back still on the rare side. For her it was inedible. The server took it away and our bill was 'comped' for her Shirley Temple and dessert- not for her filet. Our niece had a good dinner at home. We will return as this experience will not deter us from the many good meals we have had at the Rowe but it was a disappointment.

3  Thank William L