“Let's do girls weekend again !!!”

The House on the Hill
Ranked #1 of 5 Ellsworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The view from the front porch is to die for. There are babbling brooks and hiking trails, kayaking and paddle boarding. I was extremely comfortable in my immaculate room. I found Marci and Phil just the right combination of accommodating and attentive while respecting privacy. BunnyoftheGlen did not appreciate the utility room. To me this room was quite clean being the "working guts" (washer and dryer and water sports storage) of the B & B, it did not bother me a bit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barbara A

Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband and I returned to the House on Hill for a long weekend visit up north. This trip we stayed in the main house in the Rose Room. This room is very spacious and comfortable and has a lovely view of the lake. The room was immaculate! Each day was a gourmet breakfast, it was beautifully presented and tasted wonderful!
We decided to rent the new paddle boards the B&B has supplied to use on the lake in front of the house. What a fun experience that was! I definitely recommend!
The house is set on beautiful grounds, very peaceful with amazing views all around you. We had a great time visting with Marci and Phil on the front porch in the evenings. The common areas are very comfortable and a nice perk is the utility room stocked with beverages. Marci and Phil are always the perfect hosts! Thank you for another memorable weekend at the House on the Hill! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DianeSnoe
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My mom and I took a mother/daughter weekend up to House on the Hill. It was so relaxing and comfortable. I felt right at home almost instantly. Our room was beautiful and very clean with a very comfortable bed. I slept like a rock. The breakfasts were delicious and Phil and Marci were wonderful hosts. They helped make a great weekend greater!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Two things stand out for this B & B: the view from the front porch and the innovative breakfasts. Some guest rooms need renovating and the porch definitely needs a new railing. A major turnoff is the utility room which has a well-stocked guest refrigerator, coffee supplies and sports equipment: the floor was filthy and piled with several days of dirty laundry. Cans and bottles overflowed the recycle bin.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BunnyoftheGlen
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed at the House on the Hill for 3 nights and truly had a perfect experience. We have stayed at many B & B's and feel we have very high standards, which often leave us disappointed. Not here. Phillip and Marci were wonderful, relaxed hosts and the weekend we stayed was the weekend before their daughter's wedding! The food was excellent as expected from other reviews, the lake sublime for canoeing and the activities and restaurants within easy driving distance restful and rejuvenating. We couldn't think of ANYTHING that wasn't "just right" and will definitely make The House on the Hill a destination in the future!

Room Tip: We loved the detached house behind the main house. Lovely porch overlooking the creek. When we sat...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We spent two nights here and ate at the Rowe Inn, just down the road. A great place to spend relaxing or hiking around the property. There is plenty of things to do, kayaks and canoes are there for guests to use. There are numerous places to visit nearby, Charlevoix, Petoskey. The accommodations are first class. The breakfasts were very good and the owners exceptionally friendly. If you are going to be in the north part of Michigan, you'll want to considers this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kenneth H
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I went to the House on the Hill for a special event which was a cooking class in partnership with a Matter of Taste at Tapawingo and Fustini's Oils and Vinegars. My timing could not have been worse since the drive was terrible as it started snowing terribly the day I drove up. But despite the harrowing drive my stay at the House on the Hill was a welcoming and relaxing retreat. My room, the Birch Room, was comfortable, clean and had a very nice view. The owners Marci and Philip Palajac are wonderful innkeepers as well as hosts. The breakfast is definitely gourmet and I hated to return home to my mundane scrambled eggs but thanks to Ginny and Gregg McCallum, a Matter of Taste, and Maxine from Fustini's I know how to liven them up.

The cooking class was held at Matter of Taste at Tapawingo was very informative and the dishes prepared by Maxine featuring Fustini's Oils and Vinegars were delicious. I cannot wait to use their products. Our dinner prepared by Ginny and Gregg was simply divine and I can easily say I can't wait for the opportunity to do this all over again even if it means driving in a snowstorm.

P.S. The coffee butter is to die for and make sure to buy some jam to take home or give as gifts, Marci's mom makes it and they are good.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Been to The House on the Hill? Share your experiences!