“Just like at home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Empire
Sleeping Bear Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Empire B&B and Inns
Detroit, Michigan
“Just like at home”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I felt like I was at my grandparents or other relatives. It was quaint, comfortable. Dark and quiet at night. DVD players in rooms with large selection of videos. I enjoyed it very much. Some rooms with showers, others with tub/hand-held shower...keep in mind if you really feel you have to be standing up to get clean!

Room Tip: Sleeping bear room is right off parlor and kitchen. I thought it might be loud but it wasn't. Gr...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New England
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed at this B & B for two nights while visiting the area. It was our first experience at a B & B and we really enjoyed it. The owners Susan and Van are very welcoming and made us feel right at home. We stayed in the Leelenau Room which had a tub and handheld shower. It was a very cozy and comfortable room and it easily could accomodate 3-4 people, although moving around with that many in the room could be challenging.
The breakfast served was wonderful and since there are no restaurants located right in the area, it was a nice thing to have. Coffee is available earlier than breakfast is served which was nice for early risers.
The Sleeping Bear Lakeshore is beautiful. We spent 2 days touring the area, visited most of the towns, did the Pierce Stocking Drive, and took in all the breathtaking views. I am so glad we had the chance to see this.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor and had an air conditioner which we did not need to use.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We were 4 adults with two rooms at Sleeping Bear B&B. The rooms were spacious and friendly. The B&B is close to the dunes and Glen Arbor, which was important for our choice.
We would recommend this B&B to anyone spending time in the Leelenau area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ute O
Troy, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed here while up north to attend a wedding. While we did not spend much time at the B&B, our stay was truly delightful and relaxing. When we arrived, Susan and Van cheerfully welcomed us and showed us around. Featuring local ingredients, the breakfasts were delicious. Each morning we were treated to a view that included hummingbirds and numerous other birds. We would stay here again and would recommend it for others.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed there recently, and we loved it! We cannot wait to go back! The owners are wonderful and a pleasure to talk to--and the food is great, not just the breakfast, but also the wonderfully prepared snacks around the place. They have a wonderful DVD collection. The rooms are lovely, as is the property. It is close to everything. I have never stayed at a better place.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 35805Anon
Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed 2 July 2012

My wife and I have been returning to Susan and Van's B&B for nearly ten years; we are now making it a recurring memory for our 5 year old son as well, who also loves it. We truly do feel more like friends than guests. Comfortable and welcoming, it provides an excellent location for exploring the Leelanau Peninsula, one of the most beautiful places on earth, as well as offering easy access to Traverse City and points further north. The breakfast every morning is spectacular - I am not overstating this - and Susan and Van accommodated our son's egg allergy with good humor and plenty of cinnamon toast and fresh fruit. A view of the local vibrant birding community, replete with hummingbirds at the dining room windows, makes every morning there relaxing and enjoyable. Outdoor sitting areas and a comfy hammock could tempt you to just lounge around the B&B all day despite the many small towns, farms, and beaches to explore throughout the peninsula. There's a small library of books to choose from if you forgot to bring your own; plenty of tvs and a dvd library - but really, unless it is raining, Leelanau is a good argument for the pointlessness of televisions in our daily lives; an outdoor herb garden in the back to walk and savor; a bonfire area if the weather is not too dry and the season is right; Van's artwork to enjoy; a killer collection of cookbooks to peruse...in short, there is no reason not to visit, and you will be happy that you did. We always look forward to our yearly trip to visit Susan and Van, and we leave every year trying to figure out how to fit in more than just one trip a year. You will too. Don't miss it.

Room Tip: There are five rooms, each with an AC unit, ranging from small and economical to larger with private...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mcraigj
Canton, MI United States
Reviewed 13 April 2012

For a girl's weekend, my mom and I wanted to take my cousin and aunt (from China) to Lake Michigan. I saw this place on TripAdvisor... Let me start by saying that we absolutely loved staying with Susan and Van! It was the first B&B we've ever been to, and my aunt and cousin were more than impressed (they took a billion pictures of the house). The B&B is only a short 15 minute drive to the lakeshore and to great food. Although the breakfast Susan makes tops all, the food was aesthetically pleasing and VERY delicious. Don't even get me started on the freshly squeezed juice. I definitely recommend it to anyone! The trip ended with us promising to come again in October/November when my uncle (from China) is coming to visit... AND I CAN'T WAIT! We definitely left as friends.

Room Tip: They DO have rooms with double beds that can fit up to 4 people, so don't think B&B's ar...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Cynthia X
Also consider these accommodations in or near Empire
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Traverse City
Empire Lakeshore Inn
Empire Lakeshore Inn
#1 of 3 in Empire
The Sylvan Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Sleeping Bear Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!