“Excellent Value!”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
Wingham, Canada
“Excellent Value!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We arrived past midnight to this small motel, which is kinda hard to find, and the proprietor was still in the office, waiting for us, even though we heard his small children in the house behind him. We were passing through on a business trip from Mn, heading towards Mackinaw Bridge. The deer on the highway were everywhere in terrifying numbers, but we managed to arrive safely. The room was good - clean, quiet, and basic. We usually stay at Hampton's, because we like their brand, but this motel had high ratings, and I see why. We would definitely recommend it to all.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Madison, WI
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I needed a room for two nights in Escanaba. Over the years I have stayed at virtually every chain motel & hotel in Escanaba. I believe that most of them are over-priced for what they offer. When I looked at Trip Advisor I saw that the Sunset Lodge was highly rated. I checked their rates and thought they were very reasonable. I made a reservation online and headed on up. As others have noted this is a small “mom & pop” motel. The owners are very friendly and they have obviously done a lot of work on this property. I was in a room with one Queen sized bed. The room was small but clean. The carpet looked new as did the mattress, sheets and towels. The TV in my room was an older style but I was pretty much just in the room to sleep so it was not really an issue. Unlike a few others I had no problem with noise from the highway. Almost every motel or hotel I have ever stayed in is on a major road or interstate and they all have some degree of road noise. After my first night something came up and I needed to return home. When I asked the owners if it was possible to get a refund for the second night they took care of it immediately. I assured them my early departure had nothing to do with their property. I would have gladly stayed there another night. I will be going up to Escanaba again this summer and if there is a room available I will be staying at the Sunset Lodge.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Chelsea, Michigan
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We paid another visit to the Sunset Lodge, which has become our half-way stopping place when returning to Warren, Michigan from Minneapolis on the fifth of July. This time the snow was long gone and we had two of our grandchildren with us. We ere once again greeted with a friendly smile and a clean room. It was just the resting place we needed after a long day of driving--clean, safe and quiet. in the morning we walked next door to a restaurant for breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Spent one night here. Place was clean and convenient. Owners were on vacation but parents were running it and they were very friendly. New towels and plenty of them.
Motel sits right by US 2 and the traffic throughout the night was too noisy for me to get a good night's sleep. Ask for a room in the back and I am sure it would be much quieter.
Family restaurant next door offers a great breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lena, Illinois
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This little gem is the epitome of the old fashioned "mom and pop" motel. It is older, but well kept up, clean and cozy. The young couple that ran the motel were friendly and helpful. The room freshener they used smelled great without being overpowering The wifi and cable service was good. What I liked the most was all the personal little touches they have added to make it more comfortable and home, like a full napkin dispenser on the table and lots of extra, conveniently placed outlets for our electronics. The towels were bright white and nice and thick. There was a sign indicating if we needed any rags for the car or cleaning up, to ask at the desk.
The only area for improvement in our room was the shower stall... it looks quite old with the faucets on the far wall, causing you to reach through the flow of water to turn it on and off, BUT it was still fully functional, clean and had good water pressure.

The price was very reasonable, especially in a tourist area. We were delighted with our stay and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
clare
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just spent a couple of nights at the Sunset Lodge and this is a great place. It was very clean. Jen and Jarred are great hosts and did a great job for our group that stayed there! They are making improvements as they can and had even spruced it up some more while we were gone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We chose the Sunset Lodge based on the other reviews and we normally stay at the other typical name brand places--Sunset Lodge turned out to be a great place for us to stay on our quick trip through the area. Check-in was fast/easy, clean, newly remodeled room, morning coffee/donuts, good bed, and we could literally park outside the room which made luggage transport simple.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank george h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escanaba
Quality Inn & Suites Escanaba
#7 of 10 in Escanaba
Terrace Bay Hotel
Terrace Bay Hotel
#1 of 2 in Gladstone

Been to Sunset Lodge Escanaba? Share your experiences!