“Clean, affordable, and GREAT water pressure.”

Sunset Lodge Escanaba
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I know it seems weird to highlight the water pressure in the shower, but it was noticeable, and fantastic. Let's be clear, it's not the most up to date place, but for the money, it's amazing. The bed was comfy and so clean. The clock radio had electrical plug-ins, I appreciated it. Great staff that was helpful, pleasant, and welcoming. If you want to sleep, stay here. And ignore the people who say it is loud. The road put me right to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Nothing fancy, just a clean and comfortable place to put your head for the night. The owners were very nice. The bathroom was a little "retro" but functional. You can walk to a restaurant next door (unfortunately it was closed on 4 July when we were there).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2014

On a whim, we took a chance with the Sunset Lodge. It's not fancy - but it was clean and comfortable. Our bathroom was super small - but clean and functional. Desk clerk was very friendly and helpful with our questions about going on up to Pictured Rocks on Lake Superior. We had a good nights sleep and with the clerk's directions - we made our way north to a successful day at Pictured Rocks. Free WIFI.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We arrived past midnight to this small motel, which is kinda hard to find, and the proprietor was still in the office, waiting for us, even though we heard his small children in the house behind him. We were passing through on a business trip from Mn, heading towards Mackinaw Bridge. The deer on the highway were everywhere in terrifying numbers, but we managed to arrive safely. The room was good - clean, quiet, and basic. We usually stay at Hampton's, because we like their brand, but this motel had high ratings, and I see why. We would definitely recommend it to all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I needed a room for two nights in Escanaba. Over the years I have stayed at virtually every chain motel & hotel in Escanaba. I believe that most of them are over-priced for what they offer. When I looked at Trip Advisor I saw that the Sunset Lodge was highly rated. I checked their rates and thought they were very reasonable. I made a reservation online and headed on up. As others have noted this is a small “mom & pop” motel. The owners are very friendly and they have obviously done a lot of work on this property. I was in a room with one Queen sized bed. The room was small but clean. The carpet looked new as did the mattress, sheets and towels. The TV in my room was an older style but I was pretty much just in the room to sleep so it was not really an issue. Unlike a few others I had no problem with noise from the highway. Almost every motel or hotel I have ever stayed in is on a major road or interstate and they all have some degree of road noise. After my first night something came up and I needed to return home. When I asked the owners if it was possible to get a refund for the second night they took care of it immediately. I assured them my early departure had nothing to do with their property. I would have gladly stayed there another night. I will be going up to Escanaba again this summer and if there is a room available I will be staying at the Sunset Lodge.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We paid another visit to the Sunset Lodge, which has become our half-way stopping place when returning to Warren, Michigan from Minneapolis on the fifth of July. This time the snow was long gone and we had two of our grandchildren with us. We ere once again greeted with a friendly smile and a clean room. It was just the resting place we needed after a long day of driving--clean, safe and quiet. in the morning we walked next door to a restaurant for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Spent one night here. Place was clean and convenient. Owners were on vacation but parents were running it and they were very friendly. New towels and plenty of them.
Motel sits right by US 2 and the traffic throughout the night was too noisy for me to get a good night's sleep. Ask for a room in the back and I am sure it would be much quieter.
Family restaurant next door offers a great breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escanaba
Quality Inn & Suites Escanaba
#1 of 2 in Gladstone
Super 8 Escanaba
Super 8 Escanaba
#6 of 10 in Escanaba

Been to Sunset Lodge Escanaba? Share your experiences!