Extended Stay America - Detroit - Farmington Hills
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Farmington Hills
“Not bad at all”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

employees at the reception are really nice.

this place needs to improvise on cleanliness and odour in the rooms.carpets needs to be changed. Rest are good.

i might probably stay in future if above things are taken care.

Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Farmington Hills, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that you were not completely satisfied with your stay and I hope you will contact me so we can discuss it. We expect a renovation in the future and that will include new carpeting, also we sometimes have long term guest who cook a variety of foods and the smell sometimes tend to linger through out the hotel. To prevent this from happening again, my team and I are working together to diffuse orders with new cleaning supplies and procedures. I am pleased to hear that our employees at the reception area were really nice and we look forward to having you return to the Farmington Hills location.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at dfh@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed in the hotel for 30 days. Rooms are not really designed for an "extended stay"!! Just a hotel room with a small kitchen area! Room was very dirty, spider webs in bathroom, food on walls, stains on bed spread! Overall conditions of the hotel were average at best! Rooms cleaned once a week? You get 4 towels, if you want more you have to take your towels to the desk for new towels? Cable is a joke very few channels. I've stayed in between 25-40 hotels throughout the Detroit area EVERY one of them had Fox Sports Detroit NOT the Extended Stay! Even though the rate is very reasonable you have to balance great rate with hotel conditions.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank joyblak
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Farmington Hills, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The situation you described regarding the spider webs and stains on the bedspread is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience and our team is working together to ensure this never happens again. Our goal is to make you feel like this is your home away from home and I do regret you did not have a pleasant stay. I met with the housekeeping and front desk staff, we read and discussed your review and we are working together to ensure that this situation is not repeated.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at dfh@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Travellers are raving about these Farmington Hills hotels

Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have been a guest resident at ESA Farmington Hills for months. I've had a lot of problems during my stay; many resolved through the manager. There are good things here, but internet access/reliability and speed is NOT one of them now. That is why I am giving this hotel a poor rating; internet access that is reliable and reasonably fast is a must for me. ESA changed their ISP to Innflux in early September. Innflux uses Time Warner Cable. I NEVER had connectivity or speed problems under ESA's old ISP. Now, the connection drops regularly sometimes every 20 minutes or connections are not available. New tabs won't load. It bogs down. I called Innflux to complain; they said it was MY computer. Period. My problem. No explanation. I never had problems before, so I knew it was something about Innflux. I was told it was MY problem after having to escalate my complaint to the local ESA Manager after Innflux wouldn't return my calls or address my trouble ticket. I have a friend in internet and computer security. He tested my computer and ESA/Innflux service remotely. The signal is SO LOW you barely have wireless access. The speed test results for my computer now through Innflux is .48 Mbps download and .39 Mbps upload!! It's almost at ZERO!! It is intentionally throttled to be slow so you will buy high speed. Here are my speed test results: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2998793426. My friend then found that Innflux uses an "n" wireless router, the very latest technology. This makes many computer's wireless drivers and internal adapters obsolete. Your computer probably won't be able to talk to their routers to get the signal, or will get a signal then drop it, like my computer was doing. I had to go purchase a wireless adapter at Staples for an "n" wireless router.. I found one for $25, but no one will tell you this. I called Innflux and asked why the internet was so slow. I was told that was still wireless "service" and they were ready to sell me high speed. Josh of Innflux was rude when I asked about their unsecured network, he told me it would get complicated to explain. Josh was unable to answer some questions that my friend had for him; but he did get the answers. Apparently it got complicated for Josh. Innflux is condescending, rude and unhelpful. Innflux offers an unsecured public network operating at less the .5 Mbps; before it was a secure network that operated around 10 Mbps. It's almost a lie to say they offer wireless service. IT APPEARS THEY INTENTIONALLY MAKE THE INTERNET IMPOSSIBLE NOW FOR NORMAL USE SO YOU'LL BUY UP, BUT YOU WILL LIKELY STILL GET BUMPED OFF, OR WONT GET ACCESS BECAUSE YOU NEED AN "N" WIRELESS ADAPTER...and unless you have the LATEST version of technology, you still won't be able to access their internet and they won't tell you why. I hope this helps someone as it's been a huge headache for me causing lots of problems for over a month. If you don't need wireless service or can pay the extra fees and KNOW you have an adapter that is "n" signal compatible, save yourself the trouble and go somewhere else.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Susan L
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at Extended Stay in Michigan before, but the Farmington Hills location is the best hands down! Its located in the beautiful suburb and close to the interstate. Its also close to gas stations, a post office, nail salon and restaurants. The grounds were clean and manicured. I made my reservation online, but when I called to ask if they had a discount for my company, they told me yes and that I would receive it at check in. When I walked in the hotel, I was greeted by Cynthia Caldwell. She introduced herself as the manager. She was warm and friendly. She made sure my discount was added. When I told her I had stayed at another location and that I wasn't pleased,Cindy told me that Extended Stay America had made some improvements. They now offer a continental breakfast which is nice. The rooms have pillow top mattresses and flat screen televisions. Cindy advised that the carpets are going to be replaced. They are slightly stained, but clean. Cindy pulled out a basket that had snacks and accessories. She asked if I had a floor preference and honored it. Lastly, Cindy did something no other hotel has ever done...she called my room to make sure everything was ok. Now that's awesome customer service! My bed was comfortable and the flat screen was great. I had plenty of clean towels. I will be staying at this location again very soon. Thank you Cindy for making my visit memorable!

• Stayed September 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Farmington Hills, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Toi - I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review about our hotel. It's always a pleasure when our guests have a positive experience at our hotel and in the Farmington Hills area. Our goal is to make you feel like this is your "home away from home". I am glad to read that you were pleased with the new televisions, pillowtop mattresses and our grab-and-go breakfast.

Cary, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I called on 8/21 around 1:30 in the afternoon and a young man answered the phone and he was extremely rude. I have stayed at a lot of hotels throughout Mi, and this was the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. The front desk should be the most important because its the first experience that a customer has. I called to make a reservation and ask about their pet policy and the man had a bad attitude and raised his voice at me just because I asked him to repeat what kind of dogs were not allowed in the hotel. He never greeted a "hello"or "thank you" for calling, and sounded so annoyed that I bothered him. I decided to make the reservations at a different hotel (Quality Inn), where it was much better service for the same price. The front desk experience was a clear indication to me that this hotel was not up to par.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank kitkat130
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Farmington Hills, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that a member of our staff did not attend to your needs properly or in a professional manner. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have addressed this them personally and will be coaching the entire team on how to provide better customer service in the future.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I invite you to contact me, at DFH@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Jackson, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 24 August 2013

After reading the scattered reviews of this place on here, I decided to only book 2 rooms for one night before deciding to stay longer. I ended up staying 3 nights all together. I booked this trip through Orbitz, upon arrival the clerks told me they had never had anyone book through this company before.
The rooms were clean, hallways always smelled of different kinds of food, floors were kind of dirty. The sink in one of the rooms was cracked and molded in the bathroom (334). The shower floor in my room was cracked (301). The floor was also very sticky in my room, it was very noticeable after I got out of the shower. I hated the fact that they are too lazy to provide cleaning services only every 8 days in a hotel that provides a kitchen and was scared there would be bugs surrounding the hotel, but I was surprised to not see any bugs. The elevator made me nervous, when I got into it from the top or bottom levels it would sink down about 4 inches from the floor and a lip was noticed. I tried to take the stairs when I could help it, but I was not parked near the staircase.
One the second night I was outside smoking in my car at around 1 am and watched a dirty blonde, skinny woman open her curtains right in front on my started car, light an incense, open the windows and then proceed to light a cigarette! I immediately went inside to alert the receptionist but there was a sign on the counter stating that if you needed anything to pick up the phone in the hallway. I went down the hallway to check the room number on the window I had seen. It was room 133, right next to the vending machines, it was the first window from the door in the back so it was easy to find. I went up to my room and attempted to call the front desk to alert them of the issue. It rang about 15 times before it went to a blank dial tone, so I pressed 0 again, it rang another 15 times and went to a blank dial tone. I proceeded to go through this process 4 times before I actually spoke to a human being. I told her of the issue and she informed me and that she would take care of it right away. The next day I noticed that no one was in that room the next day so, I am sure it was actually taken care of. One thing I would like to mention about this experience was How Long it took to speak to someone that worked in the hotel. There is absolutely NO security guard, which I did not like being that the hotel is in Detroit and a lot of families stay here. If some one got shot in this hotel in the middle of the night, the workers wouldnt even know it until the cops came and with it being Detroit it would take at least an hour for one to arrive! For that matter, anyone could come in the middle of the night and steal anything from the lobby and they would never know it until hours later! There was NEVER anyone at the front desk past 8-9pm any of the nights I stayed there.
One the third night, around 8pm I am noticing on my bank records that the hotel has charged me twice for the first night I booked. Orbitz had charged my card once, the hotel charged again for the same night. I once again called to the front desk and the lady behind the desk was very nice and apologetic and the mix-up and let me know she was going to inform the management. 20 minutes later she called to let me know that she credited my account for the amounts that were missing. The next morning, I seen action of this on my account statement, with the exception of one amount. One amount was 76 and one was 67. The 76 was reinstated, the 67 was reinstated by only .60 cents. Around 8 am that morning after my 3rd night I went down to the receptionist who also works as the weekend manager (as she told me) proceeded to argue with me about it being taken care of before she even knew what I was talking about. The conversation followed through and I received a receipt that showed they originally put .60 cents into my account the day before the incident even happened.. for whatever reason is puzzling to me. The receipt also stated that the 67 had been refunded, which my account does not reflect at all.
Another issue we had that was the final straw to my stay here was the horrendous pet fee issue. When I booked I couldnt immediately pay the pet fee, so I was told that my visa was to be charged. I signed a paper giving them permission to do so. I would like to mention that my card has been charged 3 amounts for 3 different stays in the amounts of 26.88, 25, and 26.88. Why the amounts are not all the same are also puzzling to me. 2 hours after I checked in one of the rooms was not clean, so my 2nd party staying in the 2nd room was supposed to receive the keys to the double studio suite in 334 which was the pet room. The receptionist that was also the same weekend manager I already spoke of forced her to pay a 25 dollar pet fee for that night in cash. I did not find this out until after our 3rd night. My 2nd party signed the same pet policy that I had already signed 2 hours prior when I checked in and was not given a receipt for the $25 cash pet deposit even after she asked for one. When I called this same weekend manager to ask her about this, she denied that it even happened and continued to argue about it because we could not provide proof other than the signed pet policy.
I left the hotel about an hour later and did not speak to the receptionist/weekend manager again. I would definitely call this a thieving situation and I did not feel very safe at the hotel. I guess thats what I get for staying in Detroit! Tip to the Owner of this establishment- Fire the Management and check your books! Also.. keep someone up front at all times and hire a security guard!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jayme N
Philadelphia
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I give this a 5 star rating not to indicate that this is a "5 star" experience. A Four Seasons this is not. What it is is a clean, totally comfortable, completely adequate, quiet, convenient, excellently managed place to stay. Upon arrival, I wanted to double check that our room was smoke free as advertised having had a very bad experience at a different hotel the night before. The manager took me upstairs with a few room numbers written down so that I could check out the space and pick a room before officially checking in. She followed up about 30 minutes later with a phone call to make sure we were satisfied with our room. We were travelling with a toddler blow up mattress and an infant in a pack n play and there was ample room for all of us. Having a fridge and microwave were an added bonus as we were travelling with kids. As a family on two night stay, it seems like our demographic was in the minority, but I felt more than comfortable there. Grab and go breakfast was fine. No issues with noise or smoke. Pets are allowed here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Farmington Hills, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review about our property in Farmington Hills. It's great to hear that you had a pleasant stay and felt comfortable at our hotel. As well, I am glad that our location was convenient for you and your family.

The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review, we truly appreciate you staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!