“A dog of a B&B”

Ranked #2 of 8 Fennville B&B and Inns
Indianapolis
“A dog of a B&B”
Reviewed 24 July 2007

I think I have flea bites from the pets kept at this B&B. Pets are the focus here, rather than the human guests. The three dogs of the B&B owners barked continuously and growled if one of the owners was not in the house with them when we ventured out of our room. While our room was adequate and Paulette makes some great biscuits, the toilet was not overly clean and the owners' llving quarters are also the public guest area. The living room was set up with a leather sofa that the dogs occupied and one big armchair, all facing the big screen TV which regularly played a video on a dietary supplement that Paulette was hawking. In fact, there was a lot of advertising on the product: Samples at breakfast, poster of information set up on a chair in the dining area, CD cued up in the bedside alarm clock/CD player, and pamphlets on the bedroom table. Paulette and her husband yelled back and forth at each other in a very unpleasant way, and Paulette just was not a welcoming person. She seemed out of sorts during our whole visit, and it began as soon as we walked in the door. Perhaps she could tell we were not in love with the B&B as she ran it, and try as we might to be polite, there was not a lot to compliment. We would have appreciated a warning about cats being allowed to stay on beds since one of us has a cat allergy. If you are a pet lover and don't mind things being very noisy and untidy, this is a place you would likely feel comfortable.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Pallets
Paulette C, Owner at J. Paules Fenn Inn, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
A dog of a B&B:

People are always the focus at our Inn and if you pet will vouch for you you can stay also. That is a joke....We charge for our 4 legged friend, $20 per day per pet, and have strict pet policies, and my I add we have never had flea's... How long do you think we would stay in business if that was true...
The only untidy thing you will find is my work area and try as I might my work desk seem to all was be full of projects, we are a working B&B...

This is a very old, report and at first I may have be over zealous about my whole food product I was taking... but that has changed , so don't worry I will not be bombarding you with taking more fruits and vegetables in to your diet each and every day for better health....LOL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chicagoland
Reviewed 24 February 2007

My husband and I stayed at J. Paules Fenn Inn the weekend after Valentine's day. We were greeted by the innkeeper, Paullette's, three soft coated, lovable dogs. They were very curious and barked a little and settled down pretty quickly. She allowed us to bring our dear little kitties and keep them in our room. I have never stayed at a bed and breakfast before, so this was a true treat! The place was immaculately clean and is obviously well cared for.

We arrived early, and Paulette was very accommodating in every manner. She had a table full of cakes, snacks, a variety of fruit and cookies available all of the time, along with a HUGE variety of teas and coffees, even hot chocolate. She gave us a tour of all of the rooms and we were duly impressed with the beauty and uniqueness of each one.

In the bathroom and room We had every amenity we have at home--I realized I had overpacked!

Paulette was coming down with a cold, so I knew she had to not feel up to par, and yet was still so friendly, helpful and accommodating with everything we asked or needed. She gave us advice on the good restaurants in town, directions to the wonderful Fenn Valley winery, to South Holland and to a local area to cross country ski. Her husband Ewald told some hilarious stories.

The best part was after all of the other guests arrived, some with dogs, and we all sat around the table talking and getting to know each other along with Paulette, Ewald and Elaine, I have never such a wonderful experienced before. With all of the dogs, sometimes the residents and visitors barked a bit, but not very often or long. Definitely a piece of American hospitality.

My husband felt like he was home again, because the Inn was just like the house he grew up in, except better. The food was marvelous, and all of the special dietary needs were met, from diabetic to lacto-ovo vegetarian and an egg with cheese allergy.

We definitely will be coming back again, we really want to stay in the Tree Top suite, it is exquisite.

When you look for a good experience, the decorations and place are part of it, but the bigger part is the people. How you are treated colors your view of the whole event. Paulette was sweet, kind, helpful and funny. She, Ewald and Elaine all made the our time memorable and fun. They truly give of themselves.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank Shapechanger
Wonderful treat:

This is from 2007, what a different review.

This is the one and only couple who we have allowed to bring their new little kitten with them, we do not allow cat normally, why I don't remember why, but we did this one time, I think we aggregated the cat had to stay in the room because of allergies I have with cat., we had no problem with our kittens stay and my allergies were fine.

Ewald and Elaine are no longer at the Inn , nor are my lovely little dogs.... Know I just love the Guest loving pets when they come and send them home like well mannered grandchildren.

Thanks for the lovely right up..... But please no more cats just dogs ; )
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 July 2006

Noisy-Our room was outside the Dining/Living Room, and the Innkeepers and their family (at one point 4 pre-teen and teens plus 3 adults) hang out in the Living Room. Their tv was loud, and they were up watching tv, talking, walking until after midnight. It is a good place if you are traveling with dogs (they are dog friendly) and you get a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor, and all you want is a nice comfy bed to sleep in.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Paulette C, Owner at J. Paules Fenn Inn, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Really!
Sounds like summer to me 4th of July........ by 10 pm all is pretty Quite most of the time Sorry!
Paulette
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fennville
Hampton Inn Holland
Best Western Plaza Hotel Saugatuck
The Saugatuck Retro Resort
The Saugatuck Retro Resort
#4 of 24 in Saugatuck

Been to J. Paules Fenn Inn? Share your experiences!