“I am not the type”
Review of Heritage Manor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fennville
Heritage Manor Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Fennville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 January 2013

to write a negative review. I like to encourage small business owners. However, this experience was dreadful. This is not a bed and breakfast, it is a roadside motel. The rooms are oddly decorated with little plastic sconces and dimestore "art." I have stayed in youth hostels in the U.S. and guest houses throughout Asia and Southeast Asia. I am not a snob. But I do ask for pleasant accommodations. This room was not. For the price of over $100 a night, during the off season, I would at least expect a comfortable bed. This mattress was extremely hard. I imagine it hasn't been replaced for decades. A true bed and breakfast will offer guests a comfortable common area to curl up with a book, perhaps sit by a fire. This place's "common area" is really the family's TV room. When I stayed, the extended family was visiting. Grandpa in the La-Z-Boy, children playing on the floor. I was trapped in my room. I would have kept all this to myself, but I have seen other negative reviews, mentioning some of the same things I noticed, going back a few years. It is obvious that these owners aren't interested in improving their property -- they are counting on a steady stream of unsuspecting, one-time-only guests. Or perhaps they are really clueless about the character of a good bed and breakfast? I have also noticed that a negative review on this property is quickly followed by several positive ones, full of superlatives and exclamation points, and high numerical ratings that influence the average.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bnan57
Ross_and_Diane_H, Owner at Heritage Manor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Thank you for your detailed review. I would like to respond to a few of your comments and concerns. I certainly hope you joined us for breakfast during your stay. We serve a delicious full buffet each morning that you will never get at a motel. We are proud to be inspected and approved by the Michigan Lake to Lake Bed and Breakfast Assocaition which has many requirements not to say the least serving a full breakfast. We set our inn apart from others by offering a family friendly environment, which we try to make clear on our website. Guests, including those with children, are always welcome in our parlor, along with our family menbers during the holidays.
I do take exception to your implication that good reviews are being submitted simply to counter the effects of a negative review. Inn owners submitting thier own reviews would be very unethyical. We have no control over who submits reviews. The vast majority of our guests truely enjoy their time here and and look forward to returning...they just don't take time to submit a review.
Thank you again for your input and I hope you continue to stay at B&B's in the future...we are all unique.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

We stayed on New Years Eve. Very clean and comfortable. Owners are friendly and complimentary breakfast the next morning was delicious. Guests have access to a well stocked clean kitchen. Would recommend.

Room Tip: If stairs are an issue ask for a garden room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We had great time, would stay there again. The owners were very friendly and we had a warm welcome. Building was clean and did not have any issues with our room. Plenty of room for the three of us. Breakfast in the morning was good, somthing for everyone. Not fancy but I don't think most people are looking for fancy. Homeade baked goods and fresh fruit were perfect. It is close to Saugatuck and I think priced reasonably compared to B&B in town. Did not mind driving into Saugatuck. This is an older facility and furnishing are older but in good repair. Was nice to have a guest refrigerator.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I too wish I had read the reviews. On arrival, me and my family of three were welcomed warmly by a helpful innkeeper. However, once guided to the dingy wicker room, you could literally hit your knees in the small supply-closet like bathroom. Also, beware of paper-thin walls. As the noisy innkeeper welcomed another family into the room next to us at around midnight, being very loud as he showed them how the TV worked. Also, the family kept the TV blasting all night, which left me tossing and turning in their uncomfortable beds. However, the place did offer a good breakfast featuring delicious blueberry muffins and waffles, but it reminded me more of a motel with the stuffy rooms with no air flow and street noise. The "Victorian style" rooms were more out dated than anything. I would suggest skipping this on your vacation plan.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank IU87
Reviewed 17 June 2012

The place is more akin to a motel than a B&B. Having stayed at several B&B's around the country the Heritage Manor was a disappointment. The rooms were very dated with old, not antique, furniture and beds. The bathroom was very small with fixtures and tub that were cheap ones from the 70's. The water in the bathroom had a very strong stench that permeated the rooms. The owner cleaned out the hot water heater with bleach but the cold water still smelled. Except for tiny hotel bath soaps there were no amenities in the bathroom.
The breakfast was okay, homemade but not gourmet. They could improve the quality of the coffee and teas. The owners seemed like nice people.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank welltravelled0857
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Our family of four stayed here in one of there family rooms, with two bedrooms. Overall, we had a pleasant experience and would stay here again.

Pros
Pleasant owners. They were helpful and available without being intrusive.
The room was very clean.
Comforting breakfast in the morning, not fancy but home made breads, muffins along with scrambled eggs and sausages.
A refrigerator was available for guest use, cookies available throughout the day.
Small warmish pool. Could accommodate about 12 people. No working hot tub. Small infant/toddler wading area.
Peaceful country setting.
Kids playground (older but in good condition), sand volley ball pit, basketball hoop, space for kids to run around and chairs out for adults to rest/read or what ever in.
Lower level rooms had picnic tables and grills (our room did not).
The local beach/dunes just North of Saugatuck are very nice (go early as the parking overflows in the afternoons). We did encounter some pesky biting flies at the beach.

Cons
Our room was basic. Think more of a Motel 6, with more room. I don't know about the Jacuzzi suites.
Its a short drive into Saugatuck, which is not a problem, but parking in Saugatuck is a problem in the afternoons (at least on Memorial Weekend) so if being in town is important you need to go early to get parking.
Whirlpool tub does not work.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I planned a surprise weekend getaway with my husband. I wanted to have some alone time before our 5th child arrived. We were immediately greeted by Ross who was very helpful in showing us the room, how the hot tub worked, telling us about the area, etc.

The room was cute. It was a combination of country/rustic. The shower was small, but worked great. The bed was comfortable.. no complaints.

Being 6 months pregnant, I was a little disappointed that the hot tub wasn't the kind usually found in hotel rooms (in my experience anyway) that you fill up yourself. As such, it was too hot for me to get into. However, Ross told us how to turn the heat off and it had cooled off enough for me to enjoy by the next day.

Breakfast at Heritage Manor was great. There was a nice variety of breakfast items, everything was fresh and the atmosphere was cozy and family-feeling.

We didn't use the pool area, although it looked clean, but small.

I definitely look forward to visiting Heritage Manor again in the winter time when we can take advantage of the fireplace in the room and a hot dip in the jacuzzi!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple