“Better than ever, wide & delicious menu”
Review of Om Cafe

Om Cafe
Ranked #18 of 98 Restaurants in Ferndale
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the new & improved décor. Beer and wine are now served and gluten free options abound, including delicious desserts. We brought a large party of visiting family and local friends who hadn't yet had the opportunity to experience the Om Café.
There were many enticing, yet healthy, options so everyone found plenty of good things to enjoy in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. My only problem was that my arugula, avocado and warm potato salad was so good, I had to eat every bite and could only share one of the delightful desserts, all home made. See my prior review for the hours and how to find this hidden gem.
Even if you're not a health food type person, you'll be sure to find something you like here.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Wanting to explore some gluten free restaurant options, we decided to have lunch at the Om Cafe, located on Woodward, in Ferndale. Access to the cafe is from the rear rather than from the front door on Woodward Avenue. Om Cafe was serving brunch, which is offered on Saturdays from 11am to 4pm, when we stopped in for a light lunch around 1145am. I would have liked to try the Quinoa salad but it wasn't ready yet, so I settled for a raw kale salad, along with the soup of the day—black eyed pea soup.

My husband also ordered the soup plus a cremini burger on a gluten free bun. We decided on Kukicha or twig tea, a Japanese blend of the stems, stalks, and twigs of Camellia sinensis, made into a green tea. Kukicha is one of the preferred teas of the macrobiotic diet. The tea tasted better hot. It seemed to lose a bit of its pizzazz if it cooled down. Refills of the already brewed tea are complimentary.

The black eyed pea soup was tasty. I tried some of the cremini burger, served with a small salad dressed with a light and delicious dressing. It was really hard to tell that the burger was made of mushrooms and it did taste good. Sampling gluten free bread and buns around town, we both agreed that this gluten free bun was hard and left a bit to be desired.

My kale salad arrived as curly kale. I didn't ask what kind of kale was being used but had probably been expecting baby kale or even Tuscan kale, so I winced a bit when I saw it was the rugged and hardy kale I generally tame by tossing it into soups. I didn't eat it.

We were glad we tried Om Cafe because we had been passing by it for years without stopping in. The cafe serves lunch and dinner every day from Tuesday and Sunday. The hours are 12pm to 9pm with brunch offered on Saturdays from 11am. The Om Cafe offers beer and wine, although we did not happen to sample either. We didn't ask but both beer and wine could be their own in-house Om brand.

If you're looking for vegetarian, vegan or macrobiotic options, Om Cafe is assuredly worth a stop. The cafe is small and clean. Service is friendly, accommodating and efficient.

Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

My family and I have eaten here quite a few times and each time we leave happy and full. The portions are huge and well presented. The desert is delicious, especially the carrot cake. Before eating here, check their opening hours because they aren't your usual retail hours. Everyone who works there is super nice and very attentive. I recommend Om to anyone wanting a healthy meal

Reviewed 27 April 2013

A little hard to find, with parking off the alley in back, this Ferndale landmark has food that's better than ever if you're looking for healthy vegetarian, vegan or macrobiotic options. With daily specials, the menu has something for everyone as well as delicious beverages, soups and home made desserts. The staff is gracious andwelcoming and the place is clean & neat as a pin. They are open Wednesday thru Friday from 12 to 9, for lunch & dinner and for brunch and dinner on Saturdays.
North of 9 Mile on the east side of Woodward in fashionable Ferndale, just look for the bright green storefront.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Nestled in along Woodward Ave. this lovely veggie restaurant goes to great lengths to acquire and create wonderful wholesome dishes. Their mushroom burger is killer!! We had the stir-fry and it was good as well. The owner came over to our table several times to discuss the dishes and make certain everything was up to par. For dessert we had the carrot cake cupcakes which were a treat. This is a great little find. If you like veggie / vegan cuisine this is a must

1  Thank cobrawillys