“LET MIKE ORDER FOR YOU” 5 of 5 bubbles

Howe's Bayou
Ranked #13 of 93 Restaurants in Ferndale
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Ferndale, Michigan
“LET MIKE ORDER FOR YOU”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

That's the best way to enjoy Howe's! Mike is the owner and really understands his customers. That's why I dine there. You just can't go wrong when the Owner says, 'try our...."

For instance, I am a seafood lover through & though. So, Oysters on the 1/2 shell is a treat along with various dipping sauces. The smoked peppered mackeral is superb! My favorite is the smoked whitefish dip.

The side dishes are terrific. Adult style Mac & Cheese, Collard Greens, the butter beans are my absolute favorite. I could make a meal out of the side dishes and have at times. The Gumbo is excellent for my palate.

The atmosphere here is quaint and sweet which lends to the specialness of the restaurant. Lots of wood and wonderful paned windows to look out onto Woodward. Though a small outdoor seating area is available, I prefer the ambiance of the bar where I enjoy sensational Mint Juleps, which is the only place that knows what they are and how to make 'em.

Though I prefer to enter on the Woodward front, the back door is convenient but not used a lot for obvious reasons. Still, it's handy.

This place always delivers good food for a good price.

• Visited October 2012

Ferndale, Michigan
“Our long time favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

When in Ferndale, you can't go wrong with Howe's. Authentic southern creole. Crawfish bisque. Voodoo chicken po boy. Gumbo. just to name a few of our faves

Visited December 2012
Detroit, Michigan
“Best Sweet Potato Fries EVER!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

I absolutely love going to Howe's Bayou! The environment is fun and cozy and the staff is very nice!
Their Po'Boy sandwiches are delicious, along with their Gumbo - very good!
But, I must say that the one item that keeps me coming back for more is their freshly cut sweet potato fries!!! They are amazing and I love them!! To top off the fries is the dipping sauce that comes with them. It is the perfect compliment to the sweet potato fires.
If you are in Ferndale, or in the area, make Howe's Bayou one of your stops!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Huston10110
Ohio
“Best Gumbo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

Don't get the chance to visit nearly as often as I would like since it is a considerable distance from my home but I've been there about a half dozen times or so and have always been pleased. I've tried a few other dishes including a couple different Po-Boys and the mudbugs but the Gumbo is clearly my favorite. It is always very good and I'm never disappointed with it.

• Visited January 2012
southfield
“Hated It”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

We went there Sunday evening for dinner and it was just awful. First when we walked in there was a really bad small. It was so bad that it made me feel ill. I should have left then. I asked the waitress what it was and she said she didn't smell anything. My sister didn't smell it either. I started to think I was crazy and then my sister did smell it and we moved a couple of times to try to get away from the horrid smell. i ordered the mussels in white wine and garlic. OMG, it was so bad. Iy had no taste except sour. How cam you ruin mussels for god sakes. My sister had the calamari, She liked it but I thought it was tasteless. The dirty rice was awful. It is much better at Popeyes Chicken. Then we got the andouille encrusted oysters also tasteless. I got a bloody mary and I couldn't even drink it. It was horrible. This is my third and last time to go to Howes Bayou. I will say that the first time I went I did like the gumbo. Maybe that is what I should have ordered. I won't be back,

• Visited November 2012