“Not really an Espresso Bar anymore, but a great restaurant.”
Review of Torino Espresso Bar - CLOSED

Torino Espresso Bar
Price range: US$89 - US$120
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We strive to provide our guests with a unique dining experience by offering an ever-changing tasting menu reflective of seasonal and local products. To complete the experience, we offer optional beverage pairings or reserve pairings. Our dedicated culinary team takes great pride in providing a fine dining experience in a relaxed atmosphere.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

There is no menu for ordering, just a fabulous chef's tasting menu. I have eaten there twice in the past few weeks and both experiences were delightful. With notice, they are able to prepare food to avoid allergens (a big plus for me) that is delicious and beautifully presented. The service is equal to the food. Great cocktails and very interesting (but a bit indulgent) wine pairings are available for each of the courses. I have not always found the Detroit Free Press reviews to be "in sync" with my experience, but they were absolutely correct when they raved about this place.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Torino is an incredible restaurant. I read about the June Tasting Menu in the Detroit Free Press. Therefore, my wife and I dined there yesterday. The food, wine and service were incredible. I have traveled extensively throughout the United States and this was one of the best meals that I have ever eaten.
The combination of flavors was mind boggling and ethereal. Essentially, there were 3 starters, 3 entrees, and 3 desserts. Several courses were eaten without silverware so not to take things too seriously. Starters included a Bento Box with an oyster, radish and a green tomato. Later, there was soup with Farm Cheese. Entrees included a shrimp dish with fresh sweet corn, Mangalitsa Pig served with cucumbers and ramps, and my favorite which was Venison served with Reindeer lichen, porcini and spruce tips. Later there were 3 desserts ranging from sweet to savory. There was lemon ice served over an oat cookie with olive oil, a jalapeno ice cream with pepitas and various cookies including a macaroon. Finally, fresh brewed coffee was served.
One must partake in the wine tastings that were a perfect complement to the food. Each wine was presented by Ian Redmond, the Beverage Director who gave a brief description and then the server did the same with each course. Dane was our lead server. All the servers worked in unison and were superb. During our 2 and half hour meal I never had to ask for anything. Water was always poured and utensils brought for every course.
Finally, the amount of food was just right. At the end of the meal I thanked Garret Lipar, the chef and general manager. I hope Torino has a different tasting menu every month so my wife and I could dine there monthly. Again, one of the best and most unique meals that I have ever eaten.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My boyfriend and I are the most open minded individuals concerning food and will at least attempt anything once! It is a huge gamble to include two unique foods in one sitting but Torino has no fear! Duck hearts and beef tongue! I will say the meal was delicious and I would definitely attend again, but not sure I desire beef tongue again. Excellent atmosphere, great "craft" cocktails and wine. Reindeer moss was also a delight!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I had dinner there last night and it was honestly one of the best restaurant experiences I have ever had. We dine out frequently and the food was fresh, inventive and delicious not to mention the fantastic wine pairings. Can't wait to try it again.Also amazing service!!!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I don't know where to begin to express how impressed we were with Torino. For years now, we have returned from vacations lamenting the dining options in the Detroit area. Don't get me wrong, there are many delicious places to eat, but none compared to the upscale, inventive and delicious experiences we had on big city vacations. Now, finally, Detroiters have Torino. The menu changes weekly. They (generously) offer to accommodate allergies and food restrictions if previously notified, but they do not have a menu to order from. You are in Torino's capable hands. We visited March 15. The menu included foie gras, mushrooms and goat cheese in a pastry, bacon wrapped rabbit, sable fish with an incredible spicy accompaniment... each course made us declare it the most delicious, until the next course arrived. We highly recommend choosing the wine pairing to go with the meal. It was expertly chosen with notes of each glass complementing the creative flavors in each dish. The wine pairing included choices I would have NEVER made, but highly enjoyed. The only suggestion we had concerned the timing. A couple of courses came a bit quick for my husband and I. We wanted a little more time to savor each dish (and needed longer to finish the wine pairing.)