Fleischer's Hotel
US$149
TripAdvisor
Ulvik Hotel(Ulvik Municipality)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrailway stationdining roomhistoric hotelnutshell tourbreakfast buffetoverlooking the lakeold stylestayed two nightsfriendly helpful stafftrain linelocated rightmain roadday tripnice bartea and coffeeold buildingpublic areas
Reviewed 1 February 2014

A weekend at Fleischer’s Hotel turned out to be an amazing experience, and I really recommend a night (or more!) at this historical hotel built in an impressive Swiss style.

Fleischer’s Hotel is located right next to Voss train station (it is not a busy station, so you will not be bothered by sound etc.), and a short 10 minutes’ walk to the city “centre”. It will take you around 1 hour 20 minutes to get here from Bergen.

My room was spacious and situated in the “historical” part of the hotel (not all rooms are), and decorated in the same style as the public areas of the hotel. It was spotlessly clean, had very effective heating in the bathroom floor, and oh so comfortable arm chairs. My room was facing the lake, so it was not a problem to sleep with the window wide open. I do however understand the disappointment if you are not placed in the historical part... I was here on a conference, so I did not have to think about the price either.

The public areas of the hotel were truly impressive, and obviously very well maintained and well planned. It seemed to be all in the details, which I appreciated. In the main restaurant (Magdalene Restaurant) they serve breakfast (included in the room price), lunch and dinner. You will also find a more private á la carte restaurant, Seckmanstuene, which I truly recommend (the seven course menu was fabulous). If you do not fancy anything big, they also have a cosy bar, and it is just a short 10 minutes’ walk to the nearest supermarket.

The breakfast was very good, and you could see that they focused on local food and Norwegian specialities. I recommend not going down right before closing – it seemed everybody always had the same idea of a nice, late breakfast.

There is a spacious swimming pool at the hotel as well, and in the winter time they often have transportation to the ski lifts nearby.

The receptionists were all very friendly and helpful, and the same goes for the people working in the restaurants. When I forgot my cell phone, they were eager to help and sent it to me after a couple of days.

Room Tip: They do place you in the historical part whenever possible....
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TheSuitcase
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This hotel was included in the "Norway in a nutshell" package and dinner and breakfast were included. The hotel is old style with a huge dining room overlooking the lake, and backing onto the railway station. The room was comfortable, the food good and the staff helpful.
Arriving by bus and not by train we found it hard to find the entrance as the way to reception was not clearly labelled, so we walked a long way unnecessarily with our baggage. The easiest way to reception is via the train platform.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alys D
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We chose to break our Oslo-Bergen journey with an overnight stop in Voss. This hotel was a superb place to draw breath and chill of a few hours. A magical historic hotel overlooking the lake and literally a short hop from the station (right out the back of the hotel). The service was first class, the room was large, clean, with a great bathroom and a wonderful view across the lake to the mountain on the other side. Beautiful! We used the hotel dining room for lunch, breakfast and dinner, and all were faultless. Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more and get a front room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank XJ6man
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Our room had a view of the back/train tracks. It wasn't too noisy either. A large bathroom, rooms were clean, internet-bring a washcloth if you are used to using one. A talented pianist plays in the evening for your enjoyment while enjoying free coffee or tea. Drinks may also be purchased at their bar- inside and out. A perfect stop!! We did not spend much time in our room. Pool area was nice-you must pay kroners for the hot tub and once we got $$$ - it didn't work. We explained to the Front Desk and they gladly refunded our $$$.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Fleischers reminded me of my first college apartment, kind of tired and run down. Although we had a suite with a lake view, we found the room small, lacking common traveler amenities (like a shelf in the bathroom for toiletries...my husband and I took turns piling ours on the toilet lid) The Hotel restaurant is rated 12 of 14 in town by trip advisor but there's not much alternative.  REALLY slow internet, if it works at all. The best thing about this hotel is proximity to train station, easier to leave! I re-checked their site, was this really the place I chose? I noticed with some irony that they have photos of the gorgeous scenery, but no photos of the rooms, smart move on the part of their marketing department.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms also look over the outdoor restaurant which can be very noisy and with smokers
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple