“Healthiest Food in Town”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sue and Esther's American Tea Room
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating
Perry, Michigan
“Healthiest Food in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

I absolutely LOVE this tea house and would recommend it to anyone who's looking to eat healthy! I'm a Gluten Free person and have no problem ordering here at all. I would highly recommend if you have an allergy to ask if the dish is gluten free, nut free, etc. before ordering it. The waitresses are all knowledgeable and super nice! I've had to change out a scone or two before because I forgot to ask and I've never had any issues. The tea is so so so good, I could drink it all day! =) By far, the healthiest food in town!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Caitlin H
SueandEsther, Owner at Sue and Esther's American Tea Room, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Caitlin,

Thanks so much for your kind words. We try very hard to accommodate our friends with food allergies as several of us at the tea house experience them! Many of our customers don't realize that we serve organic greens and double wash our produce with an organic natural wash to ensure a healthy experience. Thanks for noticing!!

Holland, Michigan
“Tea for 2”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a beautiful place. Nice a cozy. Friendly staff and excellent tea. The Pumpkin Spiced Chai Tea was to die for.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Staciecr
Hi Stacie,

I'm so glad you liked the Pumpkin Chai -- it's a favorite! Have you tried the Sparkling Cranberry Tea? Although it's getting a little chilly for an iced drink -- it's still pretty popular!! Hope to see you soon!
Northville, Michigan, United States
“Nuts”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I used to buy all of my tea at Sue an Esther's. September 7. 2013 my mother, sister,niece and I went to have a tea party for my niece's birthday. The menu lists all ingredients in each selection, except nuts in the cranberry chicken salad. My sister is allergic to nuts. If you know anyone with nut allergies, you know how dire this can become in some situations. She ordered the salad, thinking it didn't have nuts, because nuts weren't listed. When the owner was confronted with this oversight, she blamed my sister for not notifying them she had this allergy. My mother wanted the meal taken off of the bill. It wasn't. That in itself didn't bother me. The insinuation that we, especialy my sister, had been in the wrong was insulting. Lucky for my sister she found a Benedryl in her purse. I live in Northville (near Novi and Famington) and my husband and I drive the long distance for the loose tea. We will not be making that trip anymore.

• Visited September 2013
SueandEsther, Owner at Sue and Esther's American Tea Room, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Dear Rebecca,

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience on your last visit to my tea shop. I take all food allergies very seriously as I have life-threatening food allergies myself. You won't find a walnut or mushroom anywhere in the tea house! I apologize for the mis-communication you had with my manager. She explained to me that after apologizing for the nut issue she offered to completely replace the meal but that your sister liked the cranberry chicken salad and wanted to finish eating it after taking her Benedryl. I believe the mis-communication came in when it was asked to be removed from the bill after the meal was completely consumed. It is our policy that if the meal is consumed it remains on the bill. Again, I apologize for any mis-communication with my manager.
Bay City, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,383 helpful votes
“It was a good experience, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

My two aunts and I finally got to visit and enjoy an afternoon in Frankenmuth. We all have been anxious to try out the new tea room in town! I was pretty excited to see they had a tea room in town when I first read about it on TA, with good reviews. Then I started to read the more recent, poor reviews and I was pretty concerned.

We dined here on a week day around noon. They were not busy and had about 5 other tables in use. Our server was very friendly, polite, though a bit lacking in knowledge of the teas and other menu items. We each ordered the Afternoon Tea for $14.95. This meal might not fill you up, so be aware of this possibility. You get 3 pots of tea-3 different flavors. You get 3 small tea sandwiches, of which there are 5 choices. Two scones with cream and lemon curd; Two small Petite Sweets (dessert) and a small salad or a cup of soup. We enjoyed all of our meal and the tea.

There are other meals you can order-wraps, salads (good size salads), sandwiches and soups.

The decor is cute as any tea room is. There are a choice of hats you can borrow and wear for your tea, though we did not partake. Lovely tea cups and saucers, tablecloths and napkins. A small gift shop adjacent.

So, we have had our experience and we enjoyed it, but personally, I probably would not return, unless someone wanted me to accompany them for a visit. I would then order a wrap, salad, or other sandwich, instead of the tea luncheon.

I am glad we had a nice experience compared to the previous number of reviewers stating they waited 2 hours for food. That is totally unacceptable and I simply don't see how this could have happened. I hope they stay open, it is a unique place for Frankenmuth.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank tymetraveler222
Frankenmuth, Michigan
“So sad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Extremely slow, disappointing could have been my review. We were there the same day. Having eaten there before I knew it would take longer, but wanted my granddaughters to experience the place. We waited almost two hours before we got our food as all around us got theirs. No explanation given why ours was delayed. I would have been nice if they had at least offered us free dessert or a discount off the meal. I was just glad my granddaughters were so good and patient otherwise, we would have left after the first hour. I'd hate to see this otherwise unique go under, but please work on your service.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Susan K
Dear Susan,

I'm sorry your Tea Experience/Afternoon Tea was too lengthy. Your server should have explained that it takes longer for the Afternoon Tea because there are so many small sandwiches to make and petite sweets to prepare. Because our guests are usually busy trying various endless pots of tea, the timing usually works out. However, preparing the Afternoon Tea sometimes also puts other orders behind schedule. Most tea houses only do Afternoon Tea after 2:00 or by reservation. Because it's a newer concept in our area and we are a new tea house, we wanted to offer this unique experience throughout the lunch hour. That being said, we take reviews seriously -- especially from locals -- and we've decided to make a few changes. We're going to follow suit with other tea houses and within the next month only offer the Tea Experience after 2:00 and by reservation. Again, our apologies.