“Best In Area”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Frankenmuth
Alpena, Michigan
“Best In Area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Excellent location, service, breakfast, and room. We have stayed in numerous hotels in Frankenmuth (one of our favorite locations to visit) and Marv Herzog Hotel is the best by far! The staff always go above and beyond, cocktails and snacks provided by the hotel as a welcoming at 5 o'clock, with a great breakfast in the morning. We will continue to stay here!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pamela R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I recently enjoyed a lovely, peaceful overnight in this hotel. Not only was the room immaculate but the staff was very welcoming. This was a great respite from other area hotels which we have frequented in the past that have been very noisy at times.
As mentioned in other reviews a snack hour ( or two ) is provided between 5 and 7 with wine/ beer and nibbles. Some mentioned the lesser quality of the selection however, keep in mind this IS complimentary and I have yet to discover another hotel that provides this service daily.
A satisfying hot breakfast is also included with the cost of the room.
Our room also had a terrace . We sat and talked and just enjoyed the lovely view in the evening. What a great treat!

1 Thank sazanneannne
Hudsonville, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel is great, rooms are clean, employees are very friendly, underground parking is very nice, views are GREAT, breakfast is good and the nighttime snack is really good!!
I can't say enough about the Marv Herzog try it you will like it!!!
Frankenmuth Brewery is only 2 doors down!!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the river it was beautiful and relaxing!
Sterling Heights, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel is the one to stay at when you visit "Michigan's Little Bavaria". The hotel is super clean and the rooms are very modern and immaculate. You couldn't ask for a friendlier staff and the food is simply outstanding. We chose a view of the street and could people watch from the balcony. We have stayed at other hotels in the city but will always choose the Marv Herzog in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony if you want to people watch. You will enjoy the food very much!
2 Thank Shannon H
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

It had a nice overall appearance. Our room was nice and clean (although I thought it was odd we got a handicapped room with occupancy somewhere around the 20% range). Dollar value was below average.

Checked in about 10:30 when we got into town to get it out of the way. I used the restroom on the main floor. The sink had dirt in it and the toilet had a lot of dried urine on the bowl, so it was there for a while. I didn't say anything but I used it again at 5:30 when I went for snacks. It was still dirty and looked just the same. I told the worker and she made a note of it to get cleaned.

The evening snack and drinks were minimal and low quality including cheap wine.

The breakfast routine was very odd and we did not enjoy it for a weekend getaway. We had to select what we wanted for breakfast right down to condiments etc. the night before. We also had to select a 15 to 30 minute window to eat. When we went down in the morning to eat, the food we selected was OK but we both had stomach problems shortly after we ate including diarrhea for me. I did see other things out that looked good but I didn't want to take them since we had to order what we wanted. It looked like they just put out enough as per the "orders", like 2 packets of hot cocoa. I would like to get up and eat what I want and when I want. Maybe this is just how they do it on the off season??? But, it doesn't make for an enjoyable breakfast.

The lady working there did a wonderful job considering she had to do it all: fold laundry, check in, serve breakfast, serve snacks... She was overworked.

I know this is owned by the Drury chain and is supposedly a boutique hotel. It is my opinion that this is not up to Drury standards. Their breakfast and evening snacks are much better. It is better staffed and better run. I don't think people expect a sign at the front desk to track down an employee at a Drury hotel. It is a great location and overall a nice facility. I like the Marv Herzog touches - accordion music and theme. This could be a great hotel but when people have experiences like this, I can't see them coming back.

I took the time to send the manager a letter 2 weeks ago with my concerns and got no response. I have to assume there is an issue with management.

I recommend the Fairfield and Drury Inn when in Frankenmuth.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank seetheusainaford
Tony F, Manager at The Marv Herzog Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Seeingtheusainaford,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Marv Herzog Hotel. Whether it be a compliment or things that we can improve, I appreciate all the feedback I can get as it helps us to insure we are delivering on our promises. Simply put, we can’t get better without feedback.

I apologize about the concerns you had during your recent stay with us about our food and beverage selections and the cleanliness of the hotel. While we typically don’t have these issues, I can definitely understand your frustrations.

Furthermore, I apologize that I did not respond to your concerns in a timely manner. Your concerns are important to me and there is no excuse for the delay.

My goal is that no guest leaves the hotel feeling the way that you did. In the future, please contact the front desk and ask to speak to the manager on duty so that we can make things better for you.

Thank you again and please don’t hesitate to let me know if I can be of anymore assistance to you.

Hospitably,
Tony Frank
Marv Herzog Hotel
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We booked into the Marv Herzog on Easter Sunday. The room was only $80 plus tax for the night. What a great rate. We had a King/River View Room on the first floor, but no balcony. That was fine with us since it was on the later side when we arrived. The room was a really nice size and also had a recliner. The room and bathroom were spotless. We loved it! The young gentleman who was working the counter was very nice. He was always working hard. The wine & snack reception from 5 pm until 7 pm was very nice. We had two glasses of wine each and there was also soup, salad, veggies, baked potatoes, and chips to snack on. It was a warm spring evening so we were able to enjoy our wine and snacks on the very large balcony which over looks the river. It was so nice and peaceful. The hotel was not full, so we were asked to pick out our breakfast items. When we came down to breakfast, a table was already setup for us with our room number! It was a very nice touch. The breakfast was so good! So much to choose from. We loved the underground parking and the location to town was excellent. This is a great couples hotel since there is no pool and it is very peaceful. We will return again to this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: The hallway is pretty short and we stayed in room 105 which was a king/river view room. It was very...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michigangirljms
Gladwin, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Perfect location. Walking distance to everything (quaint shopping and restaurant). Nice touch to stay on peaceful river side. River side balcony and patio are great for relaxing mornings and afternoon breaks. Rooms are honestly just basic and not too special. But At least they have small fridge and microwave and were very clean. Toilet ran a long time after each flush so it was necessary to wait between people using bathroom. Fridge was not working. We didn't complain about either because we just wanted to relax. Beds comfortable and rooms quiet at night. The breakfast is more then adequate and coffee available 24/7. The evening reception is just okay. They honestly need to work on evening presentation and upgrade wine selection. But nothing to complain about since its included. Just don't expect too much. We enjoyed large lobby. Nice comfortable furniture and open space to sit and visit. Six of us had a nice wine/cheese/grape party for a few hours one day. Very low key place without screaming children, etc. All of the staff were fantastic. Every single person seemed happy and made us feel welcomed. We had a great time and I would stay here again. Good value for a clean place to relax. we loved the river, the location, the quietness, the breakfast and coffee and the excellent staff!

Room Tip: The riverside is nice and peaceful
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dana G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
SpringHill Suites Frankenmuth
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run
Hampton Inn Birch Run/Frankenmuth

Been to The Marv Herzog Hotel? Share your experiences!