“Great dinner, very enjoyable time!”

Bavarian Inn Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 42 Restaurants in Frankenmuth
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: 1,200-seat German-themed dining rooms offer a variety of meals - from Frankenmuth-style chicken to Wiener Schnitzel and other German specialties, vegetarian and Gluten Free menus. Catering available. Lower level Castle Shops include Jester's Cafe offering meals to go and 8 other Specialty Shops.
various
“Great dinner, very enjoyable time!”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We (four of us) are traveling and spent a long weekend in Frankenmuth. It's a great town for outlet mall shopping and visiting the unique downtown shoppes. We chose to have dinner at the Bavarian Inn and our evening was wonderful! We had a new server who was in training and his trainer was "Britany" 'EJ' tried hard and he depended on Britany a lot. Britany provided extra special service and was very accommodating to any request we had. We were very impressed with the service! The home-cooked style, family dinner was hot, tasty and prompt and we had an abundance of food. Cost is a big high but all in all we enjoyed the dinner. This is the only family style (all you can eat) dinner where we were given take-out containers for our left-over food! If we had to make a request we would suggest 'senior size' servings, less food with a less expensive price. We definitely recommend the Bavarian Inn and will return on our next trip to Frankenmuth. Don't forget to visit the gift shop, fun and interesting.

1 Thank travelers966

Jackson, Mississippi
“Phenomenal lunch!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

What a great restaurant! The atmosphere is amazing and the service was phenomenal along with the food. Try the Chicken Cordon Bleu or the Heidelberg Combination plate: you won't be disappointed. Ask for Lindsay as your server: she will treat you right...oh, and don't forget to try the Peach Lemonade!!!

1 Thank David S
Baltimore, Maryland
“Very poor service with not so good food...”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I hate writing negative reviews, but people should be warned about the restaurant part of the Bavarian Inn. We did not stay at the Bavarian Inn on our travels, but we did almost everything else there and it was great but the restaurant was a let down. We had reservations and we ended up waiting just as long as the people without a reservation. We got to the table to be greeted by a waitress who just wanted to go home. The food was blah to say the least. I've had better chicken at KFC. The waitress forgot our drinks and we had to ask for them again and then she said something to the effect that we were lucky just to receive our food. I loved Frankenmuth and look forward to going back but it won't be to this restaurant.

1 Thank Heather S
KimberlyRamirez, Manager at Bavarian Inn Restaurant, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
I’m so sorry you did not receive satisfactory service. We strive to provide outstanding service to every guest, and the service you describe does not meet our standards. We have a wide variety of items on our menu. I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy the chicken, but I hope you’ll give us another chance and perhaps try one of our other special dishes. Please contact me at the restaurant so we can make things right for you upon your return. Thank you again for your review. Kim Ramirez Hospitality Division Manager
Washington DC
“Okay, but....”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Maybe I've lived in the big city too long, but after visiting this past Memorial Day weekend with Michigan friends of ours who had talked up the restaurant, I was left disappointed.

So rather than restate what others have previously, let me offer the following:

1. The Chicken: Good friend chicken, and all-you-can eat. The family style meal was $22 per person, all-white meat is available for an extra $2 per person I believe.

2. The Sides, Bread, included Desert: Average. The bread was served in a limited way for a party of our size (all you can eat, but not the way to start of your dining experience, not having enough for everyone in your party to have when you first sit down).

3. Atmosphere: Maybe some would be impressed by the wood in the room and servers in Bavarian custom, but really our table & chairs were straight from the conference room. Add to it an ambiance which felt more like Chuck-e-Cheese (seriously coaches, if you are going to bring your teenage baseball team here, at least have the decency to have them remove their hats inside) than stepping into the heart of Bavaria.

4. Service: Solid, but nothing special.

5. Wait: Granted, we were here on a holiday weekend, but this wasn't handled the best. We were told that reservations wouldn't be accepted until after 7:30 PM (that didn't seem to be the case; perhaps they had already taken as many up till then as they would accept), so we were told to wait in line. Happy to do so, but the line made extremely slow progress, and if we knew how long it was going to take, would have likely gone elsewhere. Also, nothing was offered to those in line while they waited (would have been a nice touch), and in the case of an elderly couple, nothing was offered up to either seat them sooner, or at least offer them a seat on the side, for when their turn in line came up. Poorly done Bavarian Inn.

In summary, maybe this a treat for those who come up on a bus tour, for the Outlet malls, Water Parks, or an annual visit to Bronner's Christmas Wonderland, but for me, I'll pass, and look for a more intimate alternative, one which doesn't leave me feeling like I just went to an amusement park for the day.

1 Thank ChrisJones5
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I’m sorry there wasn’t enough bread on your table for your party. As you mention, our salads and breads are all-you-care-to-eat, and there should have been enough on your table for everyone to have some when you were first seated. We strive to provide a family, fun ambiance. You are correct in that we limit the number of reservations, based on seating capacity on busy days, and we try to seat from the line as quickly as possible as tables become available. Sometimes there is a bit of a wait for those who do not have reservations, but we try to keep the time as short as possible, and most find the wait worth it once they are seated and enjoy their meal. Again, thank you for your review.
Dearborn, Michigan, United States
“Meal 10 Years In The Making”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

From when I first moved to Michigan, I was told over and over again that I just had to try Bavarian Inn's chicke dinner. After ten years of scoffing at the idea of driving over an hour for chicken, I truly regret not experiencing it before this point.

There was quite a line to get into the place but after about 20 minutes we were sat at a table and promptly greeted by our server. The menu itself has ons of German fair along with a couple American dishes for variety. My wife had the chicken dinner and I decided on the more diverse Hidelburge combination that included some potato patties, a beef roll, stuffing, ham, and a piece of chicken.

The main food was ok at bed with the best being the chicken an worse being the overlooked beef roll that had very little flavor. What really shown during the meal was the very large of assortment of side dishes included with the meal as well as the buttered dumplings and potato patties. Both were extremely flavorful and had us fighting over the last couple each.

Without a doubt, the fun of having a large frosty mug of German beer served to you by a gal or guy in traditional Bavarian garb is worth the trip up to Frankemuth. Add to that some good comfort food, and you have yourself a recipe for a great day with family or friends.

1 Thank RJMontalvo