“Charming old lodge not too far from Sleeping Bear Dunes”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frankfort
Chimney Corners Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Frankfort B&B and Inns
Torrance, California
“Charming old lodge not too far from Sleeping Bear Dunes”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Over Memorial Day weekend, we had a cute, super clean room with character-rich old furniture. Nicely decorated with antiques. View out the front window over Crystal Lake. Friendly, helpful staff. Small drawback: several rooms have to share a bathroom. Pre-season, they did not offer breakfast but we found a nice place at the Sugar Moon Cafe, Beulah.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank MBatz

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Michigan
Reviewed 27 May 2013

After searching the internet for small places near the Sand Dunes, I decided on this one. My tow kids (14 and 18) and I arrived early evening on May 24. I had already paid and had to room number, so we just went in. We were in the Lodge. As soon as you walked in you smelled old wood and many fires on the fireplaces over the years, a real up north smell, we loved it. There are antique furnishings in all the rooms, some have exposed logs. There was only one other person in the Lodge, so sharing a bathroom was not an issue. All the rooms in the Lodge are either a double bed or two twins. We had a room with two twins and took our blow up bed, the owners were fine with that. We weren't there long enough to go frog catching and not warm enough for the beach and the restaurant wasn't open yet. Places to walk around, play areas for kids, etc. It was very calm and peaceful, again, a real up north feel. I emailed with the owner a few times, she was very helpful and informative and recommended a restaurant. The price was also very reasonable, the best I found. It is on our list of places to visit again.

Room Tip: I told her what I was looking for, what I could afford, she chose a great room for us. We had a gre...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank mackinaclover
Michigan
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Warm welcome from Becky and the present staff. The cottage is totally ready for our arrival. Peaceful in nature. Close to lake Michigan and the dunes. Total heaven for the family or couples or friend. Respectful of every one's quiet and peace. We were there in the fall and back in May.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank ChloeMichigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My husband and I decided to do a spur-of-the-moment fall color drive on M-22 from Manistee on an overnight from Sunday to Monday. We didn't made reservations but had researched a little about Chimney Corners in Frankfort. We showed up Sunday afternoon around 4 p.m. and knocked on the owner's door to ask about availablity. She steered us to their main lodge building that rents individual rooms in a shared bath set up. She apologized that the usual meal offerings weren't available since it was off-season, but imagine our pleasant surprise to snag a lake view room in the lodge for $55 since it’s the shoulder season! If you don’t mind sharing a bath with seven other rooms (only four were occupied that night) and fending for yourself for meals, I can’t think of a better place to stay in the fall.

The lodge itself was built in 1910 and is so full of rustic charm. While you won't have TVs in your room, you can instead enjoy sitting in the lodge's main floor and playing a board game or reading a book. You can always go across the street to enjoy Crystal Lake on their property as well, or sit in a lounge chair by the lodge up on the hill overlooking the lake.

And if you need a place to eat if you go off-season, the Manitou is only a few miles up the road and features incredible fresh fish entrees, as well as a wonderful early bird special from 4-6 p.m. daily that is quite a bit less than regular prices.

All in all, an incredible place to stay at an incredible value, especially in the shoulder season.

Room Tip: If you stay in the lodge, ask which rooms have a lake view. I think they're the same price, and...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kim S
Friendswood, TX
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We had to spend one night at these cabins while on a fishing vacation. The cabins were very clean, roomy and cozy. The furnishings and decorations were a bit dated, but that adds to the rustic feel of being "up North"! If you are expecting a top of the line hotel, this isn't the place for you. If you're looking for a rustic cabin near the lake, this should definitely do the job!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank FriendswoodTraveller
Oakwood, OH
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Last summer, my boyfriend and I decided to go on vacation. I, of course, assumed we would just go to Florida. He said, "Have you ever been to Michigan?" I had not and was very skeptical about spending so much $$ and not get my "Florida Beach Fix". But he said, "Trust me, once you go, you will love it!" He was right. It took me until day 2, but after that, I was completely in love with the Crystal Lake area, Frankfort, MI and The Chimney Corners Resort.

I love antiques, old homes and old movies. Founded in 1935, this place definitely has vintage charm: ie. the original home/lodge and it's gorgeous Petoskey rock fireplace, filled with antique furniture and the old books/board games room in the lodge's lower level is fun to explore.

Last year was last minute so we lucked out and got a room at the lodge. The shared bathroom set up did not scare me off. I would have preferred my own bath, but for the price of the rooms....who would complain? The bathrooms were uni-sex, updated, spacious, always very clean and had locks on them. There were two baths for all the rooms to share. Usually I never had to wait for a bathroom, but maybe once or twice for less than 5 minutes. The rooms and bathrooms were always immaculately clean!

The resort is full of families that have been going to this resort for generations! It was easy to tell that many of these kids and teens GREW UP TOGETHER vacationing at Chimney Corners! How cool is that????

My Favorite Things:
1. The beach. Playground is right on beach. Plenty of lounge chairs. Firepit at night.
2. The Dining Room....great for breakfast...extra nice if you get a table out on the covered deck.
3. The Dining Room has a fireplace and TV. This building is available almost all the time....if you want to watch sports or play a game of cribbage late at night.
4. The staff is so laid back, when we arrived late around 10pm, we went in and just found a note for us and our keys. We paid for our room on our last day.
5. The dinners on Friday. We didn't expect much but ended up having the best food on our entire trip!!!! And we went to some really nice restaurants!!!
6. Star-gazing up on the bluffs
7. For a bigger beach experience, I highly recommend Empire Beach (about 45mins away?)

We are going back to Chimney Corners for another week on 7/21/12 and this time we're taking my 10 year old son and we'll have a Lakeview apartment. I can't wait!

Room Tip: Senior citizens or people with physical handicaps might not be able to climb stairs up to lodge room...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kelly Z
Aiken SC
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We had four rooms in the lodge for just one night, but we found the lodge charming and clean. The owners were very welcoming and helpful. Since there was no TV, the kids used all the water toys and had a blast playing outside. In the morning we had breakfast down by the water which was lovely. The breakfast was good and we were able to chat with some of the other guest. Overall, we had a very nice stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank kdgAiken
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankfort
The Hotel Frankfort
#1 of 3 in Empire
Crystal Mountain
Crystal Mountain
#1 of 1 in Thompsonville

Been to Chimney Corners Resort? Share your experiences!