“Very nice spot for a glass or two of wine and a bite to eat”

Cru Cellars Michigan
Ranked #14 of 25 Restaurants in Frankfort
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Fusion, Wine Bar
Cadillac, Michigan
“Very nice spot for a glass or two of wine and a bite to eat”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

While on an afternoon fall color tour we stopped in Frankfort for a late afternoon glass of wine and a bite to eat. We had read that Frankfort had a new wine bar (it opened in June 2013) so we sought it out and stopped in. The decor is very modern (some might call it a bit stark) but with the pleasant music in the background we found it relaxing. The front part of the restaurant is the bar area, which also features seats looking directly out on the street -- a fun place to people watch. In the middle is a "lounge", a bit more intimate spot to sit and sip, and the rear is the main dining area. There is a very nice wine selection, both by the glass and the bottle. We thought the prices were not out of line for nicer wines (my wife had a northern Michigan quality Riesling, I tried a French chardonnay). We split an order of the mozzarella and tomato flatbread, and it was very good. Bear in mind that Frankfort is a very small town with limited dining options. We found Cru Cellars to be a very nice addition, and we will stop in again when we are in the area.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank DJP1979

Gainesville, Florida
“Fantastic! Much needed addition to the area.”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Frankfort really lacks quality, exciting food/drink options and this place is a welcome addition to the neighborhood! We only stopped by for a quick drink and are glad we did. Great wine selection, interesting and well priced flights, awesome cocktails. Generous pours for flights of wine. Did not get to try the food but noticed lots of delicious sounding options with local/michigan ingredients. Large selection if wine bottles for sale to go. Hope this place makes it! Plan to go again next time we're in Frankfort!!

Visited August 2013
Findlay, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Gem.”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

After a very good first visit, wanted to make a second trip before writing this review. I was not disappointed.

The menu was impressive and the food was outstanding - well prepared, well presented and quite tasty. Went with a small group the second time and all were impressed with the creative menu.

Nice wine selection and the staff was most helpful with our choices. Several in our group went with the "flights", and were quite pleased.

In summary, a pleasurable experience in all aspects. I

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Mike L
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Everything Frankfort has needed and more in a wine bar!!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I went to Cru Cellars last night for the first time and I must say it was an amazing experience. I went with a party of 8, my wife and I went early for a drink at the large and spacious bar in the front of the restaurant. The bartender was very friendly and gave great suggestions for my wife and me on which wines to try given our likes and dislikes. There was no judgement, just friendliness in trying to help us find the best wine. The wine menu was large, but not overwhelming and the staff did a great job ensuring 6oz were poured with each glass. We split a cheese plate and it was absolutely delicious. I can honestly say it was the best mix of cheeses and meats I've had in a cheese plate to date.

We had no trouble being seated during the peak rush of the night, a nice table in the back of the restaurant. My wife ordered the short ribs and I had the walleye, both were amazing. I basically drank the broth from my plate the walleye was so delicious - I definitely recommend it! The whole staff from the owners to the wait staff to the bartenders were so friendly, they made Cru feel like a place I've been going to for years.

The decor was fresh and exciting and there was music playing at an appropriate level in the background while we ate, and the bathrooms were clean (which is a major point for me). Overall it was an excellent meal, our entire party enjoyed their food and the delicious wines! I absolutely recommend this restaurant, Frankfort has been waiting for a place like Cru for a long time and we will definitely be back!!

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank cdaffner
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
“Sad Attempt at a Wine Bar/Bistro”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I really this place to succeed. Frankfort needs a good wine venue. We tried this place three times over the summer and were disappointed each time.

Let's start off with the plus side. The wine selection is very nice with some excellent vintages from solid producers. Value is not there, though. Prices are very high for the wine served (or sold by the bottle). Your wine dollar can go a lot farther elsewhere.

The facility is very noisy and the owners are aware of this and trying to install noise baffling materials. This may or may not work. At any event it is too late for this season. This is a common complaint by many customers .

Prices for food are high and quality is spotty. My wife had a flatbread pizza that was doughy in the middle. Sent it back and a second one came out the same way. Our "lunch" for two small plates and two stingy pours (may 4 oz. of wine) was $42.00. About twice the cost of a hearty meal at Dinghy's bar two doors east.....Once the friends of the family stop visiting this summer, they will likely shut down for the year. Your food and beverage money in Frankfort can buy a lot more at the Coho or Fusion or even the Bayview Grill.

• Visited July 2013