“Very Comfortable and Peaceful And Clean”
Review of Waters Inn

Waters Inn
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Gaylord
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We traveled from Buffalo Ny (Ride N Peace Funeral and Formal Auto Society) to be part of the Northern Michigan Hearse Cruise and was recommended to stay here , after a long journy it was nice to find a Clean comfortable Inn , the Owner was very nice and tended to our needs wished our stay was longer as we really like the Waters inn , everything was easy access had dinner at Gobblers around the corner , right off the 75 , gas station / deli on the corner post office right accross the street. we recommend this Inn , we will revisit again as this is number 1 on our list of places to stay while visiting Michigan .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Michael S
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

We are so glad we were able to make your visit to the Gaylord area a nice one! Thanks SO much for taking the time to write a review, it really helps us when your words convince another traveler to give us a try.

We enjoy traveling through Buffalo when we visit friends and relatives in New England each year.

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us, we appreciate every customer.

There are newer reviews for Waters Inn

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My wife and I were headed to the U.P. and found this jewel. I read the other reviews and most are pretty much on the mark, but others only show how pampered they are. Yes Waters, Michigan is in the middle of nowhere, but that is some of its charm. The Inn is only a mile off Highway 75 so it is easy on and off. There are no amenities such as pool, hot tub, ice machine (although there is a convenience store right adjacent for most any needs). What it does offer is a very clean charming room. Of course we only saw one of ten rooms, but ours, #10, was very nice. Lots of nice appointments and stained wood beams and knotty pine ceiling. The walls are knotty pine as well but the owner probably felt that was too much knotty pine so they have been toned down with a white intentionally cracking stain. The room had all the normal amenities one would expect with small refer, microwave, flat screen TV. Unfortunately the internet access was non-existent and we tried all our toys such as iPhones 5 and 4s, and two Dell computers; none even found the availability of the net. Our bed was quite comfortable, however there were two double beds and we would have preferred a single queen or king, but this motel caters to snowmobilers so the doubles probably make more business sense. The bathroom was sonewhat small and showing some wear on the corners and door but certainly serviceable. No tub just a shower. Especially enjoyed the humor of the owners with the "Do not Disturb" sign permanently attached to the door directly above the chain lock.

The owner also honored the $5.00 discount due to Tripadvisor search.

We enjoyed our stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sunnycove1

Thanks for staying with us on the way to the Upper, and writing a review helps us so much! So sorry about your issues with our free WiFi access. As a result of your feedback we have added an additional WiFi access point just outside room 10 to solve the issue, at that end of the property. Your review mentioned clean and comfortable and that is exactly what we strive for with each and every customer.

Thanks for your comments on the humorous Do Not Disturb signs, but they are actually magnets and are intended to be placed on the outside of the door, when you want privacy.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I was traveling one cold wintery day (Southbound on I-75) and found myself smack dab in the middle of a winter (white-out) storm. I pulled off to stay the night at the closest motel I could find. I lucked out, because the manager gave me a great room (very cozy and clean) and went above and beyond the call of duty to make me feel safe and comfortable. He even brought me a delicious dinner with a beverage that he paid, for out of his own pocket! Now folks, that's my kind of service! I would recommend this charming place to anyone! Thanks to Bob Holmes for making me feel so comfortable!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Trish J

I'm glad we were able to turn your white-out drive into a comfortable experience, and we appreciate you taking the time to tell others about it. Because we are a small family owned business we can focus on each guest. We hope the weather is better for your next visit.

Thanks again for writing a review.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

A very clean place with a great manager. The price was great, rooms were very clean along with the bathroom. And you get a free microwave popcorn too boot!!!!! I would say - stay here if you want a great room at a great price.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

"A great room, at a great price!" I love it when we get a review like yours, because that is EXACTLY what we strive for! Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Don't get me wrong, we know we're not the Ritz, but as a small family owned business we really do try to make sure each guest enjoys their time with us. We hope you can come see us again soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I would like to start off by saying this motel is super cute.
Very "up northy".
We are snowmobilers, so the location was perfect.
Our only complaint was that the walls and floors to the rooms seem very thin.
We had to leave the tv on all day for two days just to try to drown out some of the sounds.
And the snowmobiles that were parked right outside our room started running and being loaded and unloaded at about 6:30am.
It was quite a wake up call! Lol

I would still recommend this motel because the staff was friendly, the rooms were clean, and the price was great.

However, if you are a light sleeper, have small children, or just like quiet, this may not be the place for you.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Ymv598

Thanks for taking time to write a review, we read every word carefully. I'm glad you found the staff friendly, the rooms clean and the price great, because that's what we strive for every day. The walls between each room are heavily insulated, but sometimes it's just not enough. I'm a light sleeper myself so I completely understand. The next time you visit, please let us know and we will do our best put you next to an empty room.

Thanks again for staying with us, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We could not have had a more wonderful experience. This inn was small and quaint, with the manager attending to any need we might have. Perfect location and cozy, rustic furnishings. Hotels like this should be in every town in America. Love!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank JenaRenae
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, it really helps other travelers know that the small independent motels can be nice too. I'm not sure we're "Perfect" but we sure do try to make all our guests feel at home. Hope you can stop by again soon, thanks again for choosing us.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We have stayed here twice now for snowmobiling season, and once at the other place up the road. Honestly, there is no comparison. I could go on and on about how bad the other place was....but instead I'll turn my attention on how great Waters Inn is.

The most important thing of all is these rooms are clean (unlike the other place)!!!! Each room has a TV, microwave, mini fridge, and coffee maker. You only get free internet for 60 minutes every 24 hours. To have internet all day it's $4 per day.

There is no longer a bar across from the motel, but the motel is directly across the street from trail 7. There is no need to trailer your sleds anywhere to ride. The parking is great, and you can easily unload your gear and toss it right in your room, and have your sleds parked right next to your room window.

Right from the room you can easily do a 60-70 mile loop (or more) when you arrive. You can also ride from the motel to the Mackinac Bridge too, but plan a whole day for that adventure. There are two gas stations right in the area that you can ride too as well. They even give you a free area trail map which is extremely helpful.

About 5 miles up the trail is a great sports store for all your snowmobile needs that is directly across the street from trail 7. Easily accessible by snowmobile. There is also a bar/restaurant right next to it that was a great place to stop and warm up.

As stated in the other reviews, yes the bathroom is super small, but to me it's not that big of a deal. I would however love to see some small shelves put up for us women. Women tend to have a lot of "bathroom stuff" and to be able to set it somewhere would be nice.

My only other negative is the rooms are pretty dim. Additional lighting, or a light in the ceiling would be nice. Yes the walls are thin, but both times we've stayed we weren't bothered by that.

We love staying here and wouldn't even try any place else!!! We recommended you guys to everyone. :) Thanks again for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anonymous R

Thanks for taking time to write about your recent stays while Snowmobiling in the Gaylord area. We appreciate you mentioning how clean our rooms are, for us there is no higher priority. We know our guests enjoyed having a bar/restaurant across the street, and hope it will reopen soon under new ownership. So sorry for the misunderstanding about the wireless internet, it is free for our guests. The pay internet access you found is offered to others in the area. Because of your feedback, we have made it a priority to make sure all guests receive the free wireless code before leaving the front desk. We also appreciate your comment about the need for a shelf in the bathroom and are making that a priority this spring..

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaylord
Holiday Inn Express Gaylord
Quality Inn
#11 of 15 in Gaylord
Fairfield Inn & Suites Gaylord
Ramada Grayling Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Waters Inn? Share your experiences!