“Loved it!”
Review of Waters Inn

Waters Inn
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Gaylord
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were in the area for my sons wedding. Very nice and clean motel. Price is inexpensive and reasonable. Manager was very kind and helpful. I have no complaints and would highly recommend it to any of my friends.

1  Thank Margo S
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Your review says it all, thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My teenage son and I (the mom) stayed overnight on our way further north. At first my son wasn't overly impressed, in his mind comparing to a four-star hotel. But when I told him it was only $70, his opinion changed pretty quickly. We took room #9 because it had two beds which did make the room feel small, but somehow the room felt more cosy than cramped. The room was clean with no bad odors. We did have perfect weather (late June) so we slept with all the windows open which was lovely. I loved the wood beam ceiling. I guess the only downside was a generic showerhead, but the water pressure was ok and it got the job done. There was soap and some shampoo packets. I used to be very obese and now I'm about 180 lbs at 5'4" and I gotta say the shower stall would probably feel cramped if you're over 275 lbs. So if you're really overweight, you might want to consider the Red Roof a few miles to the south. But at my current weight, the stall size and waterflow worked fine. We didn't use the microwave but we did use the fridge. My overall impression was how well both exterior and interior were maintained. We passed several other motels on our way out that were run-down looking, only one other one looked good. I picked this place due to the tripadvisor reviews, and I was really happy to see that (most of) the reviews were accurate. We would definitely stay here again, it was much nicer than the bland sterility of the chain motels. The owners were very easygoing and helpful. The motel reminded me, in spirit, of the Manago Hotel in Hawai'i -- clean and spartan, but with it's own unique character that fits perfectly with its location.

Room Tip: Check the bed configuration (one or two beds) to meet your needs. Also, I thought the handicap room...
4  Thank Cathy D
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thanks for staying with us, and for taking time to write a review, we LOVED the title!

We strive to provide a clean and comfortable room at a reasonable price, and based on your comments it seems like it was a Home Run.

Perhaps we will see you again on the way home.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed here overnight on our way up to Munising. It was a great half way point to allow all of us to get out of the van and sleep. It was very clean and a perfect size for our family of 4. I'm not sure why it stayed so warm in the room though, it would have also Ben nice if the shower water was as hot as the sink water. Otherwise I would highly recommend it as an alternative to the chains. The free microwave popcorn was a nice touch.

3  Thank Carrie H
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thanks for staying with us on the way to the Upper, we appreciate your business and the review. I'm not sure why the shower water was not as hot as the sink, (we have a huge storage tank and a new recirculating pump) but you can be sure we will check it out.

Thanks again for "popping" in!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We just got back from a two night stay at the Waters Inn located about ten miles south of Gaylord, MI. The reviews are correct. What a pleasant surprise this Inn. It was clean and comfortable. The rooms (we were in room #8) are smaller than name brand chain hotels, but who cares as long as all the necessities are available (including fridge and coffee maker but bring a hair dryer) and the room is clean and comfortable. The price is worth the home spun feel and friendliness of this motel. The staff is ready to please and they do a great job of maintaining not only the rooms but the grounds of the motel. We ate dinner at the neighboring Gobblers ( rated separately) and a breakfast and dinner in Gaylord (also rated separately). There is a nearby convenience store that supplies your every small need (ice, water, ice cream (!), etc). Stay at this motel. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DDM137
HSBicknell53, Owner at Waters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Thanks for your recent 2 day stay with us. We really appreciate your review and your recommendation for travelers to stay with us.

By the way, we do have a few hair dryers at the front desk, just ask for one during your next visit.

Thanks again, hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This bathroom is very tiny with a toilet, a pedestal sink and a small shower stall (no bathtub). The bathroom door does not shut fully and we had to really fight it to close it even most of the way. The only place in the bathroom to put personal items is on a wooden shelf above the back of the toilet. There is no counter around the sink or anywhere else in the vicinity. (There were some hooks on the door). But that is not even the worst of it. The shower was the worst shower I have ever used in my life! We've stayed at many hotels with lousy showers, but this one could not even compare. The amount of the water that comes out of the shower head was so low, that I spent probably 10 minutes in there the first night trying to get my short, thin hair wet enough to wash it. I attempted to wash it twice in that time, but still did not feel that it was clean, because even my scalp was not wet! The shower stall itself is so small, that there is no way of successfully washing any part of your body because of the sprinkling of water coming down on you at the same time. It was impossible to step out of the water flow because it came out in a cone shape, so it spread everywhere. The bottom of the shower stall was very slippery, and there was absolutely no way I could shave my legs in there because of the problems I just mentioned. We had gotten in very late that first night, so by the time we both got our showers, it was about 1 a.m. Before 7 a.m. the next morning, the room was filled with light, as if the room light was on. The window coverings were definitely insufficient to block the sunlight. If there was any way of getting my money back and going somewhere else at that point, I would have done it in a heartbeat! But their cancellation policy would not allow it, according to the receipt I had. Besides, there was a huge festival going on, so all the hotels were completely booked by then! The following 2 nights that we were stuck there, I used a water bottle that I filled up at the bathroom sink (right outside the shower) and poured it on my head to get my hair wet. I had to use the same method to rinse my hair. The lobby also reeked of cigarette smoke. We will absolutely never stay here again!

Room Tip: We chose the outdoor sports room. Perhaps the other rooms were not as bad, I don't know.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryl196082

Thanks for taking time to write a review, so sorry you found our cruse ship sized bathrooms not to your liking. We pride ourselves in providing a clean comfortable room at a reasonable price and unlike others we don't increase our prices when there is a big event.

I wish you had brought your issue with the shower to our attention while you were here, perhaps we could have solved the issue. We did specifically ask the person who occupied the room after you if there was any issue with the shower and they said it was fine.

I'm not sure where you got the idea we had a strict cancellation policy, we are a small family owned business, we don't have any minimum stay requirements and you only pay for the nights you stay with us.

If you visit Gaylord in the future, we do have one of the nicest handicapped rooms in the area and I'm confident its bathroom would be more to you liking.

Safe travels.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We made an overnight stop at Waters Inn and got up the next day to visit Hartwick Pines Forest to see the Kirtland Warbler. The Inn met all of our needs as well as had all the comforts of home. Loved all the decor - I felt like I was in a charming little cottage with the rustic decorating touches. The room was comfortable, clean and quiet. We needed a rollaway bed and a toaster. The owners were very accommodating and super-duper friendly. Would absolutely stay there again as well as recommend it to anyone passing through the area.

Room Tip: If you love ducks, room #9 had a duck theme going on. As birdwatchers, we thought that very fitting...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Theresa711

Glad your enjoyed your recent stay while bird watching, we appreciate your review and your kind words.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We traveled from Buffalo Ny (Ride N Peace Funeral and Formal Auto Society) to be part of the Northern Michigan Hearse Cruise and was recommended to stay here , after a long journy it was nice to find a Clean comfortable Inn , the Owner was very nice and tended to our needs wished our stay was longer as we really like the Waters inn , everything was easy access had dinner at Gobblers around the corner , right off the 75 , gas station / deli on the corner post office right accross the street. we recommend this Inn , we will revisit again as this is number 1 on our list of places to stay while visiting Michigan .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michael S

We are so glad we were able to make your visit to the Gaylord area a nice one! Thanks SO much for taking the time to write a review, it really helps us when your words convince another traveler to give us a try.

We enjoy traveling through Buffalo when we visit friends and relatives in New England each year.

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us, we appreciate every customer.