“Summit Lodge”

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Gaylord
Carlsbad, NM
“Summit Lodge”
Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

Ok, first the positive. Beautiful setting. We are from the desert and this place is so pretty. The room was huge and very clean. We only paid about 100.00 for the night. The beds were mostly comfortable, but for me there is "no place like home", so take that with a grain of salt.

Our view from the back deck was very enjoyable. Mostly quiet.

The cons (if you want to call them that- really very, very minor)-
-no hair dryer, bring your own.
- no breakfast like a big hotel chain. They do have a restaurant, which we didn't take advantage of. I am sure what you pay for breakfast is equal to the difference in price for a chain, so although it might not be "convenient" to have the breakfast right there, it isn't a real obstacle.
-the furniture is slightly dated but very clean and in very good condition. This did not matter to me, but I know some people care about this type of thing

Overall, I would stay again for the price. We didn't have time to do any of the activities, so I can't comment on those. I made all reservations by phone and had a very late arrival. The late arrival procedure was clearly explained and exactly as they told me it would be. The staff in the phone were very nice and professional.

We almost didn't stay due to the reviews; I am so glad we changed our minds.

• Stayed July 2012

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed in the Summit building and was very impressed with the new carpet and beds. Ate at Jacks place and the $1.00 an oz. steak is a great idea and very delicious. Service was friendly and efficient. Rooms need upgrades but I see they are definitely spending money and are on the right path....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank gnik1414
5damage5, Manager at The Ridge, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank you for your review and giving us a try. We have worked very hard through this economic downturn and have made great progress giving our guests the best golf and stay value in northern MI.
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We booked the Scandanavian Lodge (for $450 a night!) for a business meeting. When I was booking the reservation on the phone the woman told me that the cabin had wireless internet service. We arrived to find, not only did it not have wireless service but, there was no wired access either. When we called the service desk to explain, they told us. " I didn't tell you that, we only have internet access in the main building." To add to the already disappointing start, the cabin was absolutely filthy. There were cobwebs everywhere, the carpet and floors were disgusting and the "stocked" kitchen had almost no dishes or utensils. Bottom Line - we are never going back! Incredible that they are still in business.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Tim D
5damage5, Manager at The Ridge, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
We continually address our staffing concerns and currently have completely gutted our housekeeping department. With new staff and new management we have significantly reduced the errors that have been made in the past.

Travellers are raving about these Gaylord hotels

Midland, Michigan
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I should have known it was going to be bad when I called the 800 number and the phone was answered "This is Allison" and I had to ask, "Is this Marsh Ridge?" and she answered "ah, yes, can you hold?" We had so many issues with the room, among which was the decor and furniture from 1980 and it was very musty smelling. There was less than a 1/4 roll of toilet paper on the roller and NO extra toilet paper in any of the cupboards. When we went to dinner at 8:00ish the front desk was CLOSED and referred us to the restaurant... when we told the person who was to seat us that we needed front desk help, her solution was to send my husband to the men's bathroom and retrieve an extra roll, which was a huge roll for a public restroom and was too large to fit on our roller so we had to set it on the counter... classy. (She never offered to have it sent to our room, we had to carry it back - we were shocked but didn't want to wait around hopeing someone would bring it to us!) No Kleenex/tissue. The bathroom faucet would spray water to the right if turned up too high. The bathroom faucet dripped unless you turned it off just right. The bed was hard as a rock. No extra pillows or blankets which would have been nice to have as there was no heat. The air conditioning turned on as someone had auto-set it to 67 degrees. The heat wouldn't turn on so we had to run the fireplace to try to get some heat but it wasn't in the bedroom so we stayed cold... since there was no one at the front desk we didn't try to call ... After a sleepless night I was going to make coffee and decided against it because the pot hadn't been cleaned -ever- No hair dryer. Our dinner was good and the waitstaff seemed nice. I sent a letter to Marsh Ridge over a week ago and have not heard back one word from them. When we checked out we tried to tell the girl at the front desk about everything but she wasn't too interested. We will never stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MichGirl14
5damage5, Manager at The Ridge, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
First off let me personally apologize for your experience you had with us. We are a locally owned and managed resort that has been in business for over 20 years. We understand we are not perfect and we do our very best to make all of our guest stay as pleasent as possible. I understand there may be never anything we can do to earn your business again, but I will say as the new general manager of this resort is that we wouldn't be in business without our repeat customers. Also, my experiance here has been that the vast majority of our guests find our resort a great value and not only come again, but bring more friends and family.
Clinton Township, Michigan
Reviewed 24 August 2011

After reading some of the other reviews posted, my finance and I were a little concerned about what we should expect. I'm happy (and relieved) to say - our stay was very, very nice.
We arrived Sunday afternoon for a two night stay. Our GroupGolfer discount covered a one night stay, but we added the extra night to allow for an early tee time both days.
When we arrived at 7:00 pm on Sunday, there were 2 people working at the registration desk. The restaurant and pro shop were also open and staffed. All our questions were answered and everyone was friendly and helpful.
The facilty and surrounding buildings were well maintained and clean. Our room was located in the Copenhagen building (a short walk from the main building). The room itself was just as clean and well maintained as the other buildings. Considering these buildings are located in a wooded area, you can expect some to find at least some "uninvited guests"; however, we found nothing. No bugs, rodents, or evidence of anything. When making the reservation, i had a choice between two styles of rooms - 2 queen beds or 1 king bed. We took the room with 1 king bed and were surprised to also find a pull-out bed in the room (one of those built into the wall types that was completely out of the way).
As some have pointed out, there is a shower curtain that separates the bathroom from the main room. However, there is a regular door for the bathroom and the area with the shower curtain allows for access to the Jacuzzi tub form the main area. You can use the tub with the curtain open OR simply close the curtain and the sliding, wooden doors for complete privacy in the bathroom. (I'm assuming the other guests who commented on the "shower curtain" were not familiar with the sliding door concept or how to operate one).
The golf course at Marsh Ridge was in very good condition. Though it may not be ready for the PGA tour, it was in pretty good shape and was a pleasure to play. We teed off at 10:00 am and did not see any other golfers for the entire round. It's like to had the course to ourselves.
Later, we had dinner at the restaurant, Jac's Place. Using our GroupGolfer coupon, we were entitled to dinner and a drink. The dinner was very good. The food was fresh and prepared well.
The next morning, we played at The Natural. Our tee time was set for 8:30, though we arrived at little earlier and were able to tee off at 8:00. Again, we had nobody in front or behind us for the entire round (which took about 4 hours). The course was in good shape, though not as well maintained as Marsh Ridge. However, with the rolling hills and natural landscape, it was just challenging enough.
For the 2 nights, 3 days that we stayed, we found everyone to be helpful and friendly. The facilities were in great shape and very clean. The courses were well maintained and a pleasure to play.
I would definitely consider a return trip. Maybe stay longer and play more of the surrounding courses. And, the value we received from our GroupGolfer package was well worth the money. The only suggestion I have is to plan on staying during the week. I'm sure many people try to fit this in as a weekend get-away, but, that's when most (if not all) golf courses are the busiest. Though, I'm sure it can be done, just don't be surprised when you find yourself waiting.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ken O
5damage5, Manager at The Ridge, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank you for your response and we hope everyone that stays with us and has a good experiance would take the time you did after your stay...Thank you.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 17 August 2011

My boyfriend and I purchased a Groupon special for Marsh Ridge that included 36 holes, 3 meals & one night's stay. We were very very disappointed by the service and our accomodations. The golf the first day was awful. There are no rangers, and it took us almost 6 hours to play 9 holes due to the group of men in front of us, whooping it up and barely playing. We tried to voice our concerns to someone in the Pro Shop--but she really didn't care about our concerns at all. We came back to the resort to find the key to our room sitting on a table when you walk in. Unattended. With my name on it. Nice. Our room was disgusting, with a shower curtain separating the bathroom and the bedroom???? The worst part--the fire alarm went off at 4:30 a.m. and kept going off. For no reason. After scaring us with the deafening noise, we tried calling the front desk to help us. OUR PHONE DIDN'T WORK. It finally went off, 30 minutes later, we went back to sleep. We tried informing our waitress the next morning (no one at the front desk--again), but she really didn't seem to care about our mishap. I guess they're busy enough with their Groupon special that they really don't need to care about their guests' enjoyment.

I will tell anyone and everyone to never EVER go to this place. Ridiculous.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank toula f
5damage5, Manager at The Ridge, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Being involved in the resort business for some time I will say again that as hard as we try to provide the very best value for our customers we do occasionally have problems. We've addressed the problems with our cleaning staff and golf staff. Thank you for your feedback and I assure future guests that we are committed to providing the best golf and lodging value for our customers.
West Michigan
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This was a golf vacation for 12 women. We reserved the Scandinavian Lodge which included the lock off. The lodge has 2 bedrooms with 2 double beds each on the 2nd floor, 2 bedrooms with 2 double beds each on the main floor, and 2 double beds and a sofa bed in the basement lock off. 2 full bathrooms on the main floor and 1 full bathroom in the basement.

There was a huge gas grill available on the front porch. The lodge has 2 balconies and a patio on the back for smokers.

The kitchen has a Jenn Air Range and microwave which work well. There wasn't any cookie pans for baking or warming things in the oven. The bowls were not microwave safe either, so that was a problem when cooking breakfast for 12 people.

The lodge was very comfortable for all of us and we loved being in one building as opposed to being in separate condos. Lots of sitting room available, couches, chairs, tables. Flat screen TV's upstairs and down.

There wasn't any air conditioning, they don't need it that often and it cooled down enough at night to sleep comfortably.

The golf courses were in great shape, we golfed at Marsh Ridge and The Natural. The courses weren't too hard and they give women a great advantage with the tee boxes,. We all agreed we would go back sometime in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank IrishGirll488
5damage5, Manager at The Ridge, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank your for your helpful response.