“Booking Buddy”
Review of The Ridge

The Ridge
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Gaylord
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I booked a golf package surprise for myself and my husband for our 47th anniversary. This package included breakfast, lunch, dinner, one drink each, 36 holes of golf and a hotel room. What a great surprise! The meals were top notch. Not only did we get a great drink, but we had half price drinks during happy hour. The room was clean and the bed had a new matress. The room had a microwave and small frig. The staff was very accomodating. I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Our room was close to the pro shop and the restuarant. I would go to the Ric"s just for the foo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed here for my son's lacrosse tournament in Traverse City. Was a bit of a drive but nice resort. Smallest TV I have watched in a long time! 2 queen beds were OK. Small Jacuzzi tub and shower. Great common area to drink and eat with a group.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

Ok, first the positive. Beautiful setting. We are from the desert and this place is so pretty. The room was huge and very clean. We only paid about 100.00 for the night. The beds were mostly comfortable, but for me there is "no place like home", so take that with a grain of salt.

Our view from the back deck was very enjoyable. Mostly quiet.

The cons (if you want to call them that- really very, very minor)-
-no hair dryer, bring your own.
- no breakfast like a big hotel chain. They do have a restaurant, which we didn't take advantage of. I am sure what you pay for breakfast is equal to the difference in price for a chain, so although it might not be "convenient" to have the breakfast right there, it isn't a real obstacle.
-the furniture is slightly dated but very clean and in very good condition. This did not matter to me, but I know some people care about this type of thing

Overall, I would stay again for the price. We didn't have time to do any of the activities, so I can't comment on those. I made all reservations by phone and had a very late arrival. The late arrival procedure was clearly explained and exactly as they told me it would be. The staff in the phone were very nice and professional.

We almost didn't stay due to the reviews; I am so glad we changed our minds.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed in the Summit building and was very impressed with the new carpet and beds. Ate at Jacks place and the $1.00 an oz. steak is a great idea and very delicious. Service was friendly and efficient. Rooms need upgrades but I see they are definitely spending money and are on the right path....

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Glen K
5damage5, Manager at The Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Thank you for your review and giving us a try. We have worked very hard through this economic downturn and have made great progress giving our guests the best golf and stay value in northern MI.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

We booked the Scandanavian Lodge (for $450 a night!) for a business meeting. When I was booking the reservation on the phone the woman told me that the cabin had wireless internet service. We arrived to find, not only did it not have wireless service but, there was no wired access either. When we called the service desk to explain, they told us. " I didn't tell you that, we only have internet access in the main building." To add to the already disappointing start, the cabin was absolutely filthy. There were cobwebs everywhere, the carpet and floors were disgusting and the "stocked" kitchen had almost no dishes or utensils. Bottom Line - we are never going back! Incredible that they are still in business.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Tim D
5damage5, Manager at The Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

We continually address our staffing concerns and currently have completely gutted our housekeeping department. With new staff and new management we have significantly reduced the errors that have been made in the past.

Reviewed 28 September 2011

I should have known it was going to be bad when I called the 800 number and the phone was answered "This is Allison" and I had to ask, "Is this Marsh Ridge?" and she answered "ah, yes, can you hold?" We had so many issues with the room, among which was the decor and furniture from 1980 and it was very musty smelling. There was less than a 1/4 roll of toilet paper on the roller and NO extra toilet paper in any of the cupboards. When we went to dinner at 8:00ish the front desk was CLOSED and referred us to the restaurant... when we told the person who was to seat us that we needed front desk help, her solution was to send my husband to the men's bathroom and retrieve an extra roll, which was a huge roll for a public restroom and was too large to fit on our roller so we had to set it on the counter... classy. (She never offered to have it sent to our room, we had to carry it back - we were shocked but didn't want to wait around hopeing someone would bring it to us!) No Kleenex/tissue. The bathroom faucet would spray water to the right if turned up too high. The bathroom faucet dripped unless you turned it off just right. The bed was hard as a rock. No extra pillows or blankets which would have been nice to have as there was no heat. The air conditioning turned on as someone had auto-set it to 67 degrees. The heat wouldn't turn on so we had to run the fireplace to try to get some heat but it wasn't in the bedroom so we stayed cold... since there was no one at the front desk we didn't try to call ... After a sleepless night I was going to make coffee and decided against it because the pot hadn't been cleaned -ever- No hair dryer. Our dinner was good and the waitstaff seemed nice. I sent a letter to Marsh Ridge over a week ago and have not heard back one word from them. When we checked out we tried to tell the girl at the front desk about everything but she wasn't too interested. We will never stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MichGirl14
5damage5, Manager at The Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

First off let me personally apologize for your experience you had with us. We are a locally owned and managed resort that has been in business for over 20 years. We understand we are not perfect and we do our very best to make all of our guest stay as pleasent as possible. I understand there may be never anything we can do to earn your business again, but I will say as the new general manager of this resort is that we wouldn't be in business without our repeat customers. Also, my experiance here has been that the vast majority of our guests find our resort a great value and not only come again, but bring more friends and family.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

After reading some of the other reviews posted, my finance and I were a little concerned about what we should expect. I'm happy (and relieved) to say - our stay was very, very nice.
We arrived Sunday afternoon for a two night stay. Our GroupGolfer discount covered a one night stay, but we added the extra night to allow for an early tee time both days.
When we arrived at 7:00 pm on Sunday, there were 2 people working at the registration desk. The restaurant and pro shop were also open and staffed. All our questions were answered and everyone was friendly and helpful.
The facilty and surrounding buildings were well maintained and clean. Our room was located in the Copenhagen building (a short walk from the main building). The room itself was just as clean and well maintained as the other buildings. Considering these buildings are located in a wooded area, you can expect some to find at least some "uninvited guests"; however, we found nothing. No bugs, rodents, or evidence of anything. When making the reservation, i had a choice between two styles of rooms - 2 queen beds or 1 king bed. We took the room with 1 king bed and were surprised to also find a pull-out bed in the room (one of those built into the wall types that was completely out of the way).
As some have pointed out, there is a shower curtain that separates the bathroom from the main room. However, there is a regular door for the bathroom and the area with the shower curtain allows for access to the Jacuzzi tub form the main area. You can use the tub with the curtain open OR simply close the curtain and the sliding, wooden doors for complete privacy in the bathroom. (I'm assuming the other guests who commented on the "shower curtain" were not familiar with the sliding door concept or how to operate one).
The golf course at Marsh Ridge was in very good condition. Though it may not be ready for the PGA tour, it was in pretty good shape and was a pleasure to play. We teed off at 10:00 am and did not see any other golfers for the entire round. It's like to had the course to ourselves.
Later, we had dinner at the restaurant, Jac's Place. Using our GroupGolfer coupon, we were entitled to dinner and a drink. The dinner was very good. The food was fresh and prepared well.
The next morning, we played at The Natural. Our tee time was set for 8:30, though we arrived at little earlier and were able to tee off at 8:00. Again, we had nobody in front or behind us for the entire round (which took about 4 hours). The course was in good shape, though not as well maintained as Marsh Ridge. However, with the rolling hills and natural landscape, it was just challenging enough.
For the 2 nights, 3 days that we stayed, we found everyone to be helpful and friendly. The facilities were in great shape and very clean. The courses were well maintained and a pleasure to play.
I would definitely consider a return trip. Maybe stay longer and play more of the surrounding courses. And, the value we received from our GroupGolfer package was well worth the money. The only suggestion I have is to plan on staying during the week. I'm sure many people try to fit this in as a weekend get-away, but, that's when most (if not all) golf courses are the busiest. Though, I'm sure it can be done, just don't be surprised when you find yourself waiting.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ken O
5damage5, Manager at The Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Thank you for your response and we hope everyone that stays with us and has a good experiance would take the time you did after your stay...Thank you.