“Not worth your time, or money.”

Americas Best Value Inn Gaylord
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Gaylord
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I stayed in a jacuzzi room for a couples night away. Big mistake on our part. Our room was horrible. The jacuzzi power button was missing so we had to stick our finger in a hole to turn it on which I was not comfortable with, the heater had an element laying on the floor, our food spoiled from dinner because we turned the fridge on high when we got there and in the morning it was warm the fridge blew out only hot air. Both tub and sink drains would not plug the stoppers were broken or never hooked, up hard to say. The front of our television was broken off. The exterior door at the end of the motel was completely rusted through on bottom and the continental breakfast was less than appetizing. Cereal, bagels and cold coffee that my husband dumped out because he couldn't handle the taste of it. Also we were not allowed to pay with cash upon arrival because the front desk clerk said our card had already been billed through the website and we did not want this. We talked to front desk upon check out and gave them a list of everything that was unacceptable with our room and they said they would have maintenance look at the room and didn't offer at all to make it right. My husband and I travel often sometimes with our children sometimes without and I am glad we did not bring them on this trip. Our night away was basically ruined by the conditions of our motel room. This was by far the worst room we've ever stayed in we were very disappointed. It was supposed to be a romantic getaway but our moods were ruined by everything wrong with our room. Definitely not worth t. he money we paid for a jucuzzi room. We emailed the chain, and have NEVER received a response from the motel owner.

Room Tip: In my opinion, this motel offers NO quality rooms. For the price, take your money elsewhere.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica M

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We booked this room for a 3-night stay during a golf vacation in Gaylord. The room had a strange smell to it, the floor needed a deep cleaning, the entry doors were rusted through and didn't close properly. There was no security at all in the hotel at the entry doors or the doors to the pool area. We had planned to use the hot tub after a long day of golfing, but it looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a long time, there was scum all around the edge above the water line, and some of the jets didn't work at all. There is a second building as part of the hotel that has been condemned by the state of Michigan, and the main building doesn't look much better. I would not recommend staying at this hotel at any price.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel is horrible. We stayed here over labor day weekend. The rooms were dirty,there were holes in the walls in the bathrooms, plaster peeling. Floors needing vacuuming. Pool was cold with liner messed up,hard on the feet. must have been a cheap fix to continue to use the pool. We would not go back. Also, the owner was a real jerk as we booked on line with priceline for a room for our daughter. Called to confirm reservation and were told no rooms available. no reservation on file. Then we called back and were told by the same man that they did have room available for 30.00 more per night. Dishonest people..

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Shilah S
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Hmm. Super nice staff, the rest errr... I found pretending to be camping helped get through our overnight stay. We were in the gaylord area visiting otsego state park for a family gathering and this was the closest motel.
Upon arrival I was disturbed to see a deserted, near rubble motel merely feet away from the Americas Best building. Anyhow inside...extensive carpet damage, cigarette burns on blankets and funky smells in room and building. We were optimistic and pretended to be camping. We bookedthe room for our family of 4, yet our room only had towels for two.Took the kids down the the indoor pool and hottub. I was shocked that the door to the pool area was not functioning and propped open with a chair. Any child could stray just feet from their hotel room and drown. Obviously people should watch their children but anyone who has them knows how quickly they can get ahead of parents or stray, especially during unloading and unloading in a hotel. The pool seemed clean enough and not an overpowering chlorine smell. The liner did seem to be detaching and the bottom of the pool was unlevel bumpy and painful to walk on. We wore our water shoes and flip flops. It was weird. The hottub was nice and warm but clearly in disrepair.
So all in all...this is not a resort but better than camping:)

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank deankel1
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I'm kicking myself now for not reading reviews about this hotel prior to booking it. I was in Gaylord for one night's stay. The comments I've read are true! The room was very run down. Definitely could use a paint job. Drywall coming apart in the bathroom. The sink's cold water was warm. The hotel's website states there is security and a concierge desk.....really? Where ????? Down the street? I never saw any concierge desk and where was housekeeping? Not on my floor. I stayed on the main floor. There was no housekeeping in site. Upon check out, there was no one at the desk, just a portable phone and a sign stating to call a certain ext. to reach someone. Very poor service. The price for a 2 double bed should have been less than $50, definitely not worth the government rate that I paid, which was $62.96 plus tax. I will definitely not be staying at this hotel again !!!

Room Tip: I suggest pay the extra money and stay at another hotel that offers better service and conditions.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue14SaultSte_Marie
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Worst hotel I've ever stayed at. From the scum line around the hottub to the moldy bagel at breakfast capped off by the un friendly and unconcerned staff one wonders how ABVI doesn't pull the franchise name from this hotel. Book elsewehere!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I am amazed that whoever bought this place remodeled part of this hotel but stopped short of buying a new entryway side door. It didn't even shut because it is so worn out. Does this innkeeper not realize that their patrons like some safety measures? People constantly smoking around the entrance. It looks so low class. The staff was pleasant and helpful but there seems to be too few employees. I still can't believe that the CEO of America's Best Value gave this hotel some kind of award in 2010. Shows how low their standards must be.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank frenchlady1200
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaylord
Baymont Inn & Suites Gaylord
Super 8 Grayling
Super 8 Grayling
#2 of 9 in Grayling
Fairfield Inn & Suites Gaylord

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Gaylord? Share your experiences!