“The improvements continue” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alpine Lodge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Alpine Lodge
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Gaylord
Gwinn, Michigan, United States
“The improvements continue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for years. We have stayed at every hotel at this exit, and decided the Alpine lodge is our favorite due to the amazing survice and home away from home feeling the staff always gives us. The Atrium and Pool are always clean, the breakfast attendants always kind and helpful. The Wifi is reliable and the beds are always comfortable.
We have stayed here 3 times in the last 8 months while under the new owners. Our first stay in February 2014, the owner took a personal interest in our comfort. He went out and bought a space heater just to put in our room when I said I couldn't get warm. (Come to find out later I had the beginings of a horrible flu. Cold feeling not the hotel's fault. I was that way before I got there.)
Our 2nd visit in June 2014 there were noticeable improvement to the amenities in the rooms. The addition of fridges and microwaves, and new coffee makers and TVs. The free breakfast was also overhauled and now included many more warm offerings in addition to the traditional continental breakfast pastries, cereals and breads.
Visit #3, August 2014: Major improvements to the common areas. The hotel's appearance and ambiance is starting to resemble the quality of the service the people offer there. Upon further discussion with the staff, there are many more improvements to come. I can't wait to see the transformation when we come back in a month.

It's so obvious that the new owners care about the experience they offer to their customers when they stay, and they have a plan in progress to make it even better.

Thanks for always being consistently there for us and making us feel like family when we are coming home from the hospital in Detroit.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms on the 1st floor are our favorites. (and there is no elevator, so more convenient wh...
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

While the hotel does appear to be in transition, as other reviewers have mentioned, the quality of the customer service and food made us feel like we were "at home". The hotel manager and chef went above and beyond--providing excellent service, making & cutting food up for our baby, and checking on us throughout the short visit. The pizza was awesome. Also, the bar had a nice atmosphere and great beer selection (tap lines tasted very clean).

We stayed in one of the newly remodeled rooms, and it was very nice. Clean, tub with jets, and super cozy beds. The pool looked nice, although we didn't have time to use it.

Our breakfast experience was just fine at 8ish. Yummy potatoes and lots of options.

Glad the chain places were booked up because we usually find that their restaurants are overpriced and not that good. Just the opposite here: great value and quality food.
We plan to visit again!

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room. The old rooms are ok too, but the remodeled ones are nicer.
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Erin G
Green Bay, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We were on the road all day and it was 1am and we were tired. We pulled off the highway and stopped in Gaylord. We tried all the hotels and were told the Alpine was the only one with rooms left. We drove there and I went inside to see if they had any rooms left. Behind the counter there was a 12 year old girl playing on an iPad. I looked around and didn't see anyone else. She asked if I needed a room. I was thinking "What the heck is going on here and why is this girl awake at 1am?" She started looking for a room for me when an adult walked out of a back room and helped me. Ok so we get to our room and it smells like stale ciggarettes. The beds had those cheap floral bedspreads from the 80's. Then I peel back the covers to go to bed and find black hairs on my pillows like they had been used. Go over to the other bed and it is the same story. We were so exhausted that we just took the pillow cases off. I did check for bed bugs and didn't find any and I did not get any bites so that was good. We skipped the breakfast in the morning and ate somewhere else. This place needs major renovations and it looked like they might be working on one wing of the hotel so maybe it will get better....hopefully!

Room Tip: Plan ahead and book a different hotel in this town.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were traveling back from Mackinac Island to Detroit and stopped in Gaylord for the evening. All other hotels were booked because of some sort of baseball tournament. We were tired and wanted a place to stay. We booked our room, paid extra $5 for breakfast because hotel only gives 2 vouchers. We got to our room with all 4 of our bags and going up a flight of stairs because there are no elevators only to walk into a room that had not been cleaned. The beds were unmade, trash not emptied. I wanted to live and drive all the way to the airport, but my husband was tired. There was a maintenance man (didn't get his name) who was very helpful. He ran all the way to the front as we were in the very back of the hotel and got our room changed and helped with the luggage. The hotel needs major updating. There were stains all over the carpet. This definitely was not a $100 a night hotel. We ended getting to breakfast at 9:00 only to have a line almost to the door. So we checked out, got our $5 back and went to McDonald's. Probably wouldn't recommend this hotel.

1 Thank ljnobbe
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

was one of few places with rooms available at last minute. Got there, looked like pillow cases may have been used. ? Maybe case just too big for the pillow, but wrinkled? Hole in hall carpet. ice machine broke. Breakfast was a disaster. Long line for eggs. Ran out of utensils, and bowels for cereal. Pool did look good, but would recommend staying a bit away from it, due to chlorine smell. some guy was repairing his car in the lot with a loud stereo on. Also a lot of parking spaces taken up by work trucks of a crew evidently staying there? Think saw a small scratch in car that wasn't there night before? Bad experience, but actually glad I found a room at all. Think kids would like he pool

Room Tip: may want to not overlook the pool, as chlorine smell?
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Cedar Park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had been driving all day on a busy Saturday and needed a place to land. Hotels were filled everywhere, and one such hotel suggested that they probably had vacancies at the Alpine Lodge (which should tell you something). It was definitely overpriced- jacked up as rooms were hard to find. The hotel is dated- I could see it was a nice attraction in its day. It has everything- bar, pool, jacuzzi, pinball, pool table, etc. - great if you have kids and need to unwind. Our room was acceptable- just dated with some flaws. I didn't feel it was unsafe or unsanitary. The staff were friendly, and they had an omelette bar for breakfast (free) which was very good. Finally, it is a great location off the freeway with a lot of stores and restaurants nearby. Probably more economical than the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed July 2014
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I spent my fifth wedding anniversary here. We checked in and went straight to the bar were we were greeted by a friendly and fun staff who encouraged us to stay for dinner. We did! We loved it! The food was awesome! Gourmet! Art on a plate. Very reasonable prices. My mouth was so happy and my wallet didn't mind. The staff was very professional and courteous. The manager assured us that we would love the food, and she personally came by to see if we were satisfied. I can't wait to go back again. I wanna take every kid I know here. Great family hotel. Lots of space for kids to run around. Perfect for rainy summer days. Right next to I-75. Convenient for travelers, its food, drinks, sleep, and fun in one stop. Grocery store nextdoor, gas station across the street. Everything you want and need.

• Stayed July 2014