Treetops Resort
US$80
US$72
Good 3.5/5
Holiday Inn Express Gaylord(Gaylord)(Great Value!)
US$112
Very Good 4/5
Hampton Inn Gaylord(Gaylord)(Great Value!)
US$121
Hotels.com
The Ridge(Gaylord)
Hotels.com
Average 3/5
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssports bargreat golfgolf tripelevation changesunlimited golflegends restaurantthe indoor outdoor poolsitting areanorthern michiganlift ticketshot tubpro shopski weekendthe entire staffbit datedmasterpiecesignature
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just returned from my first trip to Treetops and every aspect of the trip exceeded my expectations. The moment I saw The Masterpiece from Wilkinson Road before turning into the property I knew that I was in for something great. However, I did not know that it would be as special as it turned out to be. I'll start out by saying that this was a GOLF trip, not a romantic getaway, so the dated room in the lodge had zero weight in my perception of the resort. The first course we played was Threetops. This ended up being my 2nd favorite round of the trip. Pictures do not do any of the courses at Treetops justice. You will not believe the elevation changes on these courses when you see them in person. DO NOT SKIP THIS COURSE! Pay whatever they are asking and you will not regret it. We finished our first day on Signature. As you can tell by the name this considered the crown-jewel of Treetops. There is a $20 surcharge to play it in the unlimited package but if you come up here you need to play all of the courses. Everybody we talked to raved about Signature but it ended up being my 4th favorite course in the end. It is a fantastic course but it has major competition at this resort and your trip is better off for it. The second day started with breakfast at Legends on the Hill. We had vouchers for it through our package. I however was not aware that it was a buffet. It was excellent. Plenty of food, coffee, and juice. They had an omelet/waffle station in addition to your usual breakfast fare. I went back for thirds on the omelets. They were that good. Our first round of the day was on The Premier. This course is by far the employee favorite at the resort. It's great but after a while I felt like the holes were becoming more and more the same. Conditions were stellar just like every other course at Treetops, but I just wasn't feeling the design. The Premier was my least favorite course at the resort. Our day ended at The Masterpiece. With a name like that either the architect was full of himself or he truly did create a work of art. It's one of the greatest courses you will ever play. This is the toughest course at Treetops and they are not shy about letting you know it. Play a tee or two forward if you are an average golfer. I played the blue tees the first day and this course ate me up. Mistakes on Masterpiece will be severely punished. If you go in a trap chances are high that you will be throwing your ball out. I loved every minute of Masterpiece. It was more special for me on the third day when I played it from the tips. Our day concluded at BJ's restaurant in Gaylord. I had seen many reviews of it on TA and the positive ones are all spot on. The salad bar is giant. The dinner buffet was $10 and was delicious. This was not buffet fare. If you go to Gaylord and need dinner then you have to go to BJ's. Our last day at the resort started with the buffet again before we headed to The Tradition. Tradition was built as a walking course and is about a 5 minute cart ride from the clubhouse on a bumpy path through the woods. No one really talks about it much. A lot of the golfers I talked to had never played it. People said that it was flat and an easy layout, that it doesn't get a lot of play, and that it is wide open. These people were wrong. Tradition is the third best course at the resort. It's the newest course at Treetops and also the best conditioned and in the best shape. Many people consider it the "resort course" at Treetops. If that was truly the case then it would be the top resort course in Michigan. I wouldn't go back to Treetops and not play it. Our trip finished on the Masterpiece one final time. I played from the tips and it was the most challenging and rewarding round of golf in my life. I cannot wait to return to Treetops in the fall.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeremy S
TreetopsResort, Guest Relations Manager at Treetops Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thanks so much for the feedback! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your first visit to Treetops, and that you will be back to see us later in the season. If you thought the courses were beautiful now, wait until you see them with all the fall color! Thank you again for posting, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had 52 golfers participate in our annual Memorial Day outing this year. We have been doing this outing for 10 years and various courses around the state. Treetops was perfect in every way! Food, lodging, and obviously the golf courses were all amazing. Everybody needs to play these courses!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear that your group enjoyed your time at Treetops, and hope that we will see the Communion Cup back next year. Thanks again!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We very much enjoyed our stay at Treetops, the staff and facility are really great, the food is very good and the prices were affordable. Thanks for a great time, my niece got married there and was treated great, the wedding went off without a hitch and the reception was beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TreetopsResort, Guest Relations Manager at Treetops Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are thrilled to know you enjoyed your time at Treetops, and to hear that your niece's wedding went well. Thanks again, and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Wonderful place, great staff, year round activities. Beautiful grounds. Set in a ski area. Ski in windter and golf in spring and summer. Multiple types of rooms or lodges to stay in. I would take my family back anytime. We attended a wedding there it was an outstanding venue.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TreetopsResort, Guest Relations Manager at Treetops Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed yourself while you were here for the wedding last weekend. Thanks again for posting, and we look forward to seeing you and your family back to Treetops again soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

TreeTops was the absolute perfect venue for our annual Ryder Cup Golf Weekend. Previously we have gone to Marsh Ridge/The Natural and Otsego Club. While both of those venues were nice TreeTops provided something they couldn't. 4 Very Challenging and beautiful golf courses that fit our needs and expectations to a T! The accommodations, staff, and golf was absolutely perfect and I couldn't be happier with our choice. I highly recommend any group of golfers (ours was 12 and has previously been as high as 20) consider TreeTops for their next golf trip or golf weekend!

Room Tip: 3 of the golf courses are located at the north entrance which is about a 10 minute drive from the main lodge so if you plan on playing all 4 courses I would stay in the condos at the north entrance and when playing the Masterpiece course, it might be best to chose a day you are only playing 1 course so you don't have to drive between the 2 locations between rounds.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TreetopsResort, Guest Relations Manager at Treetops Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thanks for your feedback! It is always wonderful to hear when one of our golf groups has an awesome time. We know there are a lot of great courses in our area, and are thrilled that you chose us to host your outing. Thanks again for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you back next year!