“Mrs”

Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mellor
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful relaxing place . very high standard and quality. Spa was lovely and we had amazing massage treatments. We stayed in the deluxe suite in the restored listed building. The room was amazing. Staff were friendly and helpful. We would recommend to our friends and family.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Booked this through Secret Escapes for a one night anniversary gift to ourselves on 29th January 2014. Welcome from reception was lovely, we were located in the the New Woodland suite, room 27 it was beautiful. We booked Thermal suite for a 2 hour slot, included midweek in the price. It has sensation showers, salt infusion room, aroma steam room, herbal and Finnish saunas, ice fountain and hydrotherapy pool. This was an amazing experience, felt truly pampered. In the evening we had an excellent three course meal in the Grill on the Hill. Followed by a full english in Mr Fred's next morning, a quick walk around the grounds, returning for a hot chocolate to finish off. All in all a very relaxing and recommended stay. We will return soon.

Room Tip: Woodlands Suite are the new suites.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gradee1
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

We really appreciate you taking the time to post such a wonderful review. So pleased that you thouroughly enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Visited the spa on Sunday with my mum as an afternoon away of relaxation, had a coffee at Mr Fred's first then went into the Spa. Albeit a lovely place, for me there wasn't the extra special touches. The spa itself is nice but small and for me lacked atmosphere and relaxation, the four heat rooms I am certain were not to the temperatures that they should have been. The blonde girl on reception at the spa was totally disinterested, the other staff were however nice. The treatments were average, I had a 30 minute facial. The lounge area was uncomfortable and chilly and the food was very poor, we had the afternoon tea which was very disappointing and to a poor quality. I wouldn't visit again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, though I am sorry to hear that you didn't feel that Stanley House fulfilled your expectations that day, this was certainly never our intention and is not the level of customer service that we aspire to provide. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the team and I hope that you may change your mind about visiting again in the future.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed at the Stanley House Hotel for 1 night Jan 14 as part of a gathering. The Hotel is located in beautiful countryside and every part that I saw was in lovely condition and in good order. The overall impression is one of attentiveness and high quality.

I cannot comment on the Spa as I did not use it but it looks to be good.

The meal was taken from a set functions menu and it was good. although not exceptional. Having said that, when preparing a meal for a group of about 30 it is not easy, plus the place was fully booked with others, so 'well done'.

This is not a cheap place to stay, and I have to say that in my opinion it represented fair value for money. The room in the old manor part of the hotel was very nicely done although maybe the bed was a bit on the soft side for me. All fittings and fixtures are of top quality. The main entrance door to the manor house is solid new oak and must be about 70mm thick... it would have cost a fortune!
I did not rate this hotel as 5 stars, but if the price had been a little lower I probably would have. Its not amazing value for money and is a good example of 'getting what you pay for'!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your lovely comments about your recent visit to Stanley House Hotel & Spa and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Was very impresed with the whole set up here at Stanley House.The whole place has been done to an incredibly high standard and tastefully done . Love the collection of prints from Todd White that hang on the walls.The staff are helpfull and nothing is too much trouble. Had a coporate day there and was well looked after , albeit I wouldn't put the food in the high excellent standard that the rest of the venue sets.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter B

Thank you for your wonderful review, so pleased to hear that you had a great corporate day with us. I will ensure that the chef is aware of your comments regarding the food on the day, we are always striving to improve quality and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

From the moment we arrived in time for cream tea to the minute we reluctantly left the relaxation suite in the spa, our visit to Stanley house was perfect. We stayed for one night on the "Escape for the night" package and, given the quality of our stay, we feel this was good value for an indulgent treat. The woodlands room that we stayed in was stylishly decorated with attention to every detail from the gorgeous "the white company" products in the giant bathroom to the hidden fridge in the modern, funky desk. The only criticism concerning the room is that the desk was set up in a very businesslike fashion rather than as a dresser. Consequently, there was no mirror available for make up application or to assist hair drying. I suggest that a mirror could be kept in the drawer alongside the hair dryer for use by other guests. But that's really not much to worry about in a room which made our mouths drop open in amazement :-)

We booked in for a twilight visit to the thermal spa from 6-8pm and got it all to ourselves for the last hour. To say it was bliss was an understatement. The staff were all very friendly, professional and attentive and the private changing rooms took the experience to an extra level of wow! It felt very exclusive and a cut above other spas and hotels that I have visited. The massages the next day were wonderful also. The treatment room was breathtaking with its floor to ceiling window, and the heated leather massage table was fantastic. The massage itself was most energising and the therapist worked hard to ensure the level of intensity that personally suited each of us best. We weren't able to book our treatments at the same time so instead enjoyed lounging in the relaxation room while the other person had their treatment. It was a very tranquil and relaxing room with luxury teas, flavoured waters and healthy snacks on hand.

After finishing our thermal spa we headed over to Mr Fred's for our dinner. A 3 course meal was included in our package and we were very pleased to find out that we could pick anything we wanted from the whole menu. As we weren't eating until 20:45 we had called from our room to preorder our food prior to going to the spa- This ensured the prompt arrival of our meal soon after our arrival. My husband had ordered the smoked salmon starter and it was a very impressive portion size, and delicious too. We both had sirloin steaks for our mains and they were some of the most (if not *the* most) delicious steaks that we'd ever had. And then came desserts- wow!! They were scrummy. My banoffee pie with chocolate sorbet was to die for and my husband's warm Eccles cake with Lancashire cheese ice cream was an unusual combination that resulted in a real treat for the palette. We're fairly local and will definitely be returning to Mr Fred's for a special occasion.

Our night in the woodlands room was as comfortable as we thought it might be- though the blackout blinds were so wonderfully dark that we didn't realise it was morning already so nearly overslept for breakfast! Thankfully we didn't oversleep as breakfast was another delight. One of the best English breakfasts that we've been privileged enough to eat. The continental breakfast was delicious too and the chilled marble countertops were a luxurious touch. The pastries were of a very high quality and the staff kept the selection well stocked, even though we were down just before they stopped serving breakfasts.

The only other important thing which I'd like to add is that I found the hotel to be breast feeding friendly. When I first arrived I had my baby with me and she stayed for the cream tea. I found the chairs in Mr Fred's lounge very comfortable for feeding in and was able to feed with discretion without feeling uncomfortable or out of place. As my baby did not spend the night with us I had to express milk which I was able to keep in our room fridge. As we checked out at 11am but then headed to the spa, I had to ask the reception staff if the milk could be kept in one of their fridges. They were most obliging and helpful and gladly looked after the milk for me until our departure a few hours later.

All in all, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend Stanley House to friends, family or anyone looking for a relaxing and indulgent destination for a break. We hope to return one day!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

What an amazing review, thank you so much for taking the time to feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is so nice to hear that you had such a great time from arrival to departure and we really do hope that we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We booked a spa afternoon using the spa and patisseries offer- £65 per person and totally worth it. We accessed the hydro pool and surrounding areas (saunas, steam rooms etc) for 2 hours before a lovely 30min back massage. After that we shared a beautiful afternoon tea complete with prosecco. Just perfect! Couldn't ask any more from the staff there who were warm and welcoming. Will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your lovely review regarding your recent Spa & Patisseries afternoon package. Great to hear of another satisfied customer who has visited our amazing spa and had such a thoroughly relaxing time. Please come back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellor
Millstone at Mellor
Stirk House Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gisburn
Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel

Been to Stanley House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!