“great spa break”

Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mellor
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Lovely 2 night stay. Woodland room was fantastic as was the spa and treatments. The hotel made a big deal on it's website about being pro-veggie, and whilst the food was very good it did not quite match the hype (bit of a lack lustre breakfast). My only small whinge is the incessant muzzac everywhere in the hotel and spa. Overall very highly recommended.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike W
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Stanley House Hotel & Spa. Your feedback is most appreciated and is very valued when we are consistently looking to improve our service and the products that we offer. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Me and 3 of my friends took afternoon tea at Stanley House this afternoon. We chose to "dress to impress" as Stanley House is such a lovely upmarket place but not snobbish (I stayed here for my 50th Birthday a couple of years ago). We were immediately shown to our table situated in "Mr Fred's" which looks out over the immaculate and well tendered gardens. We would have liked to have sat outside but it was overcast and not overly warm. A member of staff came to explain the menu, 2 of us had normal afternoon tea at £14.95 and two with a glass of prosecco at £19.95. We were able to choose sandwiches from smoked salmon, cream cheese and cucumber, ham and cheese and onion. The afternoon tea came on a tiered stand with drinks served at the same time. A selection of sandwiches (crusts cut off and in delicate triangles), scones with jam and cream, and some very sweet small cakes. It all looked exceptionally nice. Our only comments about the sandwiches were that the choices were a bit strange and one of them we couldn't decipher. (we thought it was tuna but one of us thought it was some kind of "paste"). We would have preferred cheese and pickle as the onion was a bit strange. We all agreed that the scones were exceptional quality but for me I would have preferred clotted cream and not the air whipped kind that we got. The small cakes were individual and rather lovely, albeit a bit sweet. We asked for more tea and coffee and these were bought at no extra charge. I had a sparkling water which came in a glass - I would have preferred the bottle but this was Ok at £1.20. Everything was fine except we had to go in search of staff twice, one for a fill up of tea and once when we were ready to pay the bill. However overall it was a pleasant experience for us "Ladies that Lunch" and I would recommend it. (We meant to but forgot to take photos!)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank aimee-Jay

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am delighted that you all had an enjoyable afternoon and I appreciate your constructive feedback which will be forwarded to the relevant managers for review. I sincerely hope that you will be back to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I visited Stanley House this weekend to celebrate my Hen Do with a group of my friends and family. We booked to enjoy the Spa as part of our overnight stay.
The spa facilities were excellent. Having previously enjoyed numerous spas around the North West I was very impressed with the facilities and the therapists. I had booked a hair mask treatment and it was very enjoyable and relaxing.
Whilst we did enjoy our time in the spa very much it was a little disappointing for a couple of our party to have to request their Prosecco which was included with the package as it wasn't brought to them when their treatments had finished. For a spa of this quality I would expect the finer details to be carried out without the need for reminders.
In the evening we dined in Mr Fred's restaurant and again I was impressed with the menu and the food that was served. As part of a package we had a 3 course meal included and I was pleased that we could choose anything from the menu and not given a restricted choice as I thought we might be. The food was very tasty, service swift and efficient and everyone enjoyed their meal.
Our room was spacious and very comfortable. We stayed in the new Woodlands rooms and everyone had a very comfortable nights sleep.
Breakfast the following morning was served in Mr Fred's restaurant and once again the food was excellent. There was plenty of choice available and the cooked breakfast was cooked fresh to order.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Stanley House and will definitely be returning soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kt84Lancashire
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am so pleased that chose to celebrate your Hen Party at Stanley House and that you enjoyed your time with us. I agree that you certainly shouldn't have to remind us about the little details and I apologise for this oversight. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Attended a wedding reception . Food was excellent throughout the day . The venue was beautiful but the hotel was let down by a small number of staff who appeared miserable and disinterested . I can agree with a previous comment about overbearing management . It all seemed a little bit impersonal and lacking in something.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank 330Guest

Thank you for your honest feedback. Your comments will assist us as a team to improve our customer service. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and our beautiful venue.

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I have visited Mr Fred's on a number of occasions in recent months and generally found the experience to be enjoyable. On this occasion I am afraid to report that the visit was not up to their usual standards. We arrived at 12:30 and it took over 3 hours to serve us lunch. The service was very poor from management level to waiting on staff. The food service was very lengthily and the staff appeared de-motivated and uninterested. There appears to be a new front of house manageress who can only be described as lacking in customer service skills; she was at times bordering on rude and her body language was appalling when dealing with simple requests such as asking for a glass of water. Our party was not impressed by her manner or attitude generally. We were informed that the staff were busy as there were two weddings ongoing. I do not feel that this is a professional comment to make to other worthy customers within the establishment. If Stanley house is unable to adequately cater for the diners at Mr Fred's whilst there is a wedding on, then may I suggest that they close the brasserie to outside customers or simply hire more staff then we are not neglected.
The food was beautifully presented and tasty. The main meals a little small for the price. The wine glasses smelt like wet dog which is massively off putting and simply a glass cleaning issue which is easily resolved. The time we waited for food was simply too long and the staff were clearly pre occupied elsewhere to provide a satisfactory service to the diners. A shame because we normally enjoy dining here.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Sarah H

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent dining experience at Mr Fred's restaurant. I am saddened to hear that you didn't enjoy your lunch service provided by our staff on that day. Despite having a lovely meal, I am sorry that you felt our staff let us down. This has been addressed with the management team along with ensuring our cleaning equipment is working correctly. I trust that after enjoying so many other dining experiences with us that you will not be put off from returning to us in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed at hotel in April for a wedding. What an amazing room! It was absolutely beautiful and had wonderful views.
The only let down personally was that the room service does not have any hot food and when ordering from room service the gentleman carrying the tray was accompanied by a young lady with blonde hair was very rude to my partner when he asked where the drink of coke we ordered was, her reply to him was "we'll I don't normally carry drinks around with me", when she realised it was missing from the order she was a bit more polite.
Such a shame that one member of staff can ruin an otherwise beautiful stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful comments and constructive feedback. We endeavour to constantly improve our levels of customer service and for providing such honest feedback, we can continue to train our staff to achieve these higher levels. I do hope that this will not deter you from returning to our beautiful hotel.

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night dinner bed and breakfast with telegraph hand picked. Paid £10 extra to eat in the grill on the hill. Total cost £157 for two. What a bargain. Lovely staff, fabulous room, great food. We even had the spa completely to ourselves for two hours. At the grill you could have any three courses and this included steaks and other mains that cost more than £30. There really is nothing I could fault. Everything was perfect. The beauty of these offers is trying somewhere you wouldn't ordinarily choose. I would definitely stay here again. We had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: May 2014

We are so pleased that you decided to sample Stanley House and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us including our delicious Grill on the Hill restaurant and the relaxation that our beautiful spa offers. Please do come back to visit again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellor
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
Gibbon Bridge Hotel
Gibbon Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chipping

Been to Stanley House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!